U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-29-2009, 01:03 PM

2,124 posts, read 2,710,865 times

Advertisements

I just got back from my first cross country trip yesterday, and have to say it was by far the best thing I'v done in my life. Simply amazing. I did Boston to the Oregon coast and back to Boston in 16 days. To anyone who has considered a cross country trip, I say do it. This country is more beautiful than I ever imagined, and the people I met along the way were the best.

I can't wait to do it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 01:12 PM

12,134 posts, read 22,323,050 times
If you want an even nicer trip, take a bit more time next time you go and hit some of the "off the beaten track" places and it is even more astounding how generally friendly and welcoming people all the way across the Country really are. Along with some true gems of Scenic beauty that are by-passed with the freeways and Interstates.

Glad you had such a memorable time! I still remember my first cross-country drive like it was yesterday. They just keep getting better the more you do as well.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:30 PM

2,124 posts, read 2,710,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
If you want an even nicer trip, take a bit more time next time you go and hit some of the "off the beaten track" places and it is even more astounding how generally friendly and welcoming people all the way across the Country really are. Along with some true gems of Scenic beauty that are by-passed with the freeways and Interstates.
Although 16 days wasn't nearly enough time, I did manage to get off the interstate for much of it. I zig zaged north through the badlands in ND and followed rt 2 through Montana to Glacier NP and then came down 89 and shot over to Missoula where (I think) I picked up rt 12 on into Washington. I then tripped down south of Mt Hood and followed 26 into Portland and on to Astoria. I think the best driving was 14 in Wyoming through Big Horn NF. I'd say that rt was almost as scenic as Glacier NP.

I could have used another week though. Would have liked have seen Snake River Canyon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.