U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:25 PM

5,128 posts, read 10,263,279 times

Advertisements

I only like a couple of chain restaurants: California Pizza Kitchen, PF Chang and the Macaroni Grill...we just moved to MA and I haven't seen any of them here, but that's ok, I'd rather go to "regular" family run restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 11:34 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,284,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Pretty much every middle to upper middle class suburban area is going to have every chain restaurant imaginable.
"honey, there is an Applebees around here somewhere, maybe it's behind that Lowe's ... or the Home Depot ... hey, there it is, right next to Target!"

Old 05-07-2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Travel View Post
Ohhhhhh, how I hate chain restaurants. Here's a little secret that not many people know: Many chain restaurants use almost all frozen and / or pre- packaged food items. Lovely.
That goes along with their frozen, pre-packaged dining experiences.
I was driving on the freeway at 11 PM on Saturday night, passing an Olive Garden near the mall. There were diners leaving late at closing time.
I was like "don't these people have something better to do with their lives,
like watch ESPN?"

Like flying on airplanes, I used to love going to chain restaurants as a kid.
I now loath such 'opportunities' ... unless we are talking Morton's of Chicago or a Ruths Chris.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:27 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,909,420 times
St. Louis has great restaurant chains as well, as does pretty much every other Midwestern city. We have 44 Steak N' Shakes in the entire metro...mind-boggling.that should give you a good idea of the restaurant chain sizes here. St. Louis, Chicago, Indianapolis, Columbus, Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Kansas City all have great restaurant chains. Also have to give Nashville, Dallas, and Atlanta their deserved credits.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:14 AM

84 posts, read 383,995 times
You could make a case that there are some 'high-quality' chain restaurants.

Think:
Cheesecake Factory
Capital Grille
Claim Jumper
McCormick & Schmick's Seafood
Ruth's Chris
Morton's
Benihana

All of these are chains with locations near most major cities but they are usually acknowledged as very nice restaurants. With Northern VA as upscale as it is, I'm sure most of these have spots in that area.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:40 PM

Here is the M TYPE X Rule of Chain Restaurants:

The more Steak n Shakes you have, the not necessarily better off you are!

... Champaign-Urbana has 3 or 4 them. Meh.
My parents love SnS, and also Sonic/Rally/Checker burger type places.
They consider it crazy that I don't go to Buffalo Wild Wings for a nightly special
(the second BWW opened here recently as well).

We do have TWO Culver Burger here; the newer one is nicer.
Also: getting a second Meijer, which works for me, because the current one is ghetto.

This leads to the following...

Here is the M TYPE X Rule of Big Box Stores:

The more Meijer or Walmart you have locally, the better your chance of finding one that doesn't totally suck!
This is also true for book/music store chains [Borders and Barnes & Noble].
The rule also holds for car dealers.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:33 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,780,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
The more Steak n Shakes you have, the not necessarily better off you are!

... Champaign-Urbana has 3 or 4 them. Meh.
My parents love SnS, and also Sonic/Rally/Checker burger type places.
Am I the only one who hasn't heard of Steak n Shakes? It quite honestly sounds revolting.

I've heard of Sonic/Rally/Checker, but probably don't have one within 100 miles. Never been.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:37 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,780,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyTeeth View Post
You could make a case that there are some 'high-quality' chain restaurants.

Think:
Cheesecake Factory
Capital Grille
Claim Jumper
McCormick & Schmick's Seafood
Ruth's Chris
Morton's
Benihana
I'll give you Ruth's Chris and Morton's - excellent, excellent filets. The prices are so steep though it's almost a crime to call them "chains". You could also throw in Delfrisco's Double Eagle if we're talking about steakhouses that have a presence in multiple places. Ditto Shula's. I've heard Capital Grills is supposed to be excellent, but have never been. Never been to McCormicks b/c I loathe seafood.

Cheesecake Factory and Benihana? eh...wouldn't call them high class. A step above the Applebees of the world, several steps below Ruth's and Morton's.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:52 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,357,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I only like a couple of chain restaurants: California Pizza Kitchen, PF Chang and the Macaroni Grill...we just moved to MA and I haven't seen any of them here, but that's ok, I'd rather go to "regular" family run restaurants.
You live in MA, you have AWESOME food from every part of the world and local restaurants still know what "service" is. Hell, even the lunch trucks are GREAT! Why do you need chain restaurants???

Old 05-11-2007, 02:26 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,057,064 times
The only chain restaurants I like:

White Castle
Steak & Shake
Big Bowl
Buca
Maggiani's
Romano's
Culver's
Chipotle
Boston Market

We have plenty of other national chain restaurants in MSP, but I don't like 'em. (We have no Stake & Shake here--I have to go to Iowa for that.)

I haven't been to any high price (entrees >$20) chains like M&S or Ruth's or Morton's. When I spend that much on a meal, I'd rather go to a local place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or