U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 01:02 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,764,550 times

Advertisements

It's very easy to live in Midtown or Downtown Atlanta without a car...or Buckhead, Lindbergh, West End, Decatur, Inman Park, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 01:12 PM

5,973 posts, read 3,687,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It's very easy to live in Midtown or Downtown Atlanta without a car...or Buckhead, Lindbergh, West End, Decatur, Inman Park, etc.
Atlanta has to much sprawl to be considered a city that you could live completely without a car.

YouTube - Urban Sprawl in Atlanta

Old 09-30-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Atlanta has to much sprawl to be considered a city that you could live completely without a car.
You always have a comment about places you know nothing about...IN THE AREAS I MENTIONED - Midtown, Downtown, Buckhead, Lindbergh, West End, etc - it's very easy to live without a car because those areas are built up around multiple transit stations. Sprawl is in the suburbs, just like in any other city.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:17 PM

259 posts, read 624,596 times
I live 15 minute from downtown Buffalo, NY. If I needed to... I could live by bike (buffalo is a very bike friendly city) but a 15 minute car ride could equal a 45 min bike ride... idk if i'm ready for that.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:51 PM

173 posts, read 290,612 times
Quote:
While this is possible (I used my car max once a week when living in Midtown ATL), going carless there would I'm sure at times be frustrating when you wanted to somewhere like Ponce or "West Midtown," or even south Buckhead.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtownatl View Post
While this is possible (I used my car max once a week when living in Midtown ATL), going carless there would I'm sure at times be frustrating when you wanted to somewhere like Ponce or "West Midtown," or even south Buckhead.
It's like that even in the most transit-oriented cities...there are plenty of areas in NYC that are not as accessible by subway where you have to walk longer distances to get where you want to go.

I know lots of folks that live in the areas I mentioned who don't own a car. It's not uncommon in this city.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:02 PM

110 posts, read 25,200 times
Quote:
Was that a joke? Please, tell me because I am laughing. MARTA is awful!

Old 09-30-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCounty View Post
Was that a joke? Please, tell me because I am laughing. MARTA is awful!
Nobody is paying any attention...so you can stop with your negative posts. It's really really not an attractive thing to do.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:26 PM

1,018 posts, read 2,679,077 times
Portland is apparently do-able without a car, particularly depending on where you live...as you get closer in to downtown it gets easier, so I've heard. I've never tried going car-less, though.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
Portland is apparently do-able without a car, particularly depending on where you live...as you get closer in to downtown it gets easier, so I've heard. I've never tried going car-less, though.
My point exactly...in any city, it depends on where you live. As for cities with rail transit, living in an area built around multiple stations is livable without a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.