U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 05:12 AM

6,008 posts, read 6,598,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Chicago utilizes its river very very well, despite the river's small size.
https://urbanmatter.com/chicago/wp-c...elebration.jpg

My other vote is for Pittsburgh, which has 3 huge rivers surrounding downtown and many other rivers in the region. Pittsburgh could definitely utilize its riverfronts more, but the potential is there!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOd8AKTU8AAIEQY.jpg
Chicago utilizes its river very very well, because of the river's small size.

A river that cut a canyon....the width of the Chicago River is perfect for the setting of the high rises that line both its banks. If it were any wider, downtown would never have spread north of the river the way it has. If it were like the San Antonio River's width, it would have appeared as its own place, let apart from the surrounding city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 05:24 AM

How about the best riverfront setting in two states? To me, no contest: Cincinnati

It draws the city together with the northern Kentucky riverfront. Better still, it created a special zone where downtown Cincinnati gets paired with Covington and Newport across the Ohio, almost making them a part of downtown Cincinnati.

I can't think of any other place like this although I do like how now highly visible Jersey City skyline plays off against lower Manhattan across the Hudson.

Old 07-25-2019, 04:14 PM

910 posts, read 774,917 times
DC, VA and MD do what OH and KY do at Cincinnati.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:22 PM

2,849 posts, read 1,167,253 times
Dubuque, IA is pretty neat. The entire Driftless area along the Mississippi is really pretty.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:34 PM

7,885 posts, read 4,079,489 times
Savannah is best I've seen.

I like Wilmington NC too.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:34 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,208,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
As charming as Stillwater is, it really should be moreso given it's history and location. Many of the business aren't thriving, and they have narrow hours. The food is always mediocre and the loud motorcycles annoying. I took friends shopping one time, and we hit up both Stillwater and Hudson, WI, and Hudson hands down had the better antique shopping in DT but you'd never know it the way Stillwater gets talked about.
Stillwater's demographics and tourists are changing. It's becoming so upscale now that antique shops are struggling with the high rents downtown and getting priced out (hence some empty storefronts). It's more about fancy boutiques, event venues, "destination" restaurants, and microbreweries. A lot of businesses downtown cater to river cruise passengers and wealthy residents moving into all the new condos going up.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
DC, VA and MD do what OH and KY do at Cincinnati.
Not sure how. I was talking about downtown Cincinnati smack on the Ohio. Downtown Washington is by no means on the Potomac. And in Cincy, the two KY towns are right across the river and are tied to the downtown north of the river

Old 07-30-2019, 12:37 AM

4,581 posts, read 7,087,553 times
Richmond, VA...James Rivet

Old 07-30-2019, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Dubuque, IA is pretty neat. The entire Driftless area along the Mississippi is really pretty.
seen best by desending on a cable car from the top of the bluffs.

The Mississippi is easily at its most scenic in MN, WI, IL, IA

Old 07-30-2019, 07:17 AM

442 posts, read 136,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
You could make an argument that the Driftless area is one of the most underrated parts of the country in terms of scenery, culture, and outdoor activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or