U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like texting while driving to be banned in the future?
Yes 88 88.89%
No 11 11.11%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 03:19 PM

388 posts, read 1,437,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Not JUST texting while driving...

Tale of Woe NY Truck Driver Crashes Into Pool While Texting Talking on 2 Cell Phones (http://www.taleofwoe.com/2009/07/30/ny-truck-driver-crashes-into-pool-while-on-2-cell-phones/ - broken link)
This is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 10:51 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,210,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I think texting, talking on a cell phone, using a laptop, eating and loud and/or "bassy" music should all be banned while driving.
My question to you is: What would you consider to be 'loud' or 'bassy'? One persons definition of loud might be another persons 'Just right', while texting is texting no matter how you put it, volume of music is different.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:22 AM

517 posts, read 1,155,500 times
If you want to be technical about it in California you can still talk on your cell phone while driving but it has to be a hands free so you can still talk on your bluetooth.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:31 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,449,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post
I just came back home from USA (spend most of the time Atlanta) and was shocked how many people was texting while driving! That is so dangerous! In Europe, even talking on phone while driving is banned. Would you like texting while driving to be banned?
Ofcourse its dangerous... I know, I'm surprised by how many people talk ( well some use speakers like things instead of holding phone..) and text while driving also.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:17 AM

264 posts, read 390,902 times
Oh that video is awful

I'm in NY, as said.. it's banned/illegal here- as is using phones period. Not that it does good- I see people on their phones every time I'm on the road. UGH!

Old 10-11-2009, 10:23 AM

32,337 posts, read 55,131,075 times
its illegal in California for a while now.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:12 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,563,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Dude View Post
My question to you is: What would you consider to be 'loud' or 'bassy'? One persons definition of loud might be another persons 'Just right', while texting is texting no matter how you put it, volume of music is different.
Say over 125 decibels or so...the limit can be set by scientific standards....where most people agree with this....how the heck can you drive with the music so loud that you never heard when you hit that poor old lady, who was crossing the street.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:25 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,796,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
Cell Phone talk is banned in most of the U.S., except few states, such as Florida.
Texing is also banned in most of the U.S.
I say ban texting. There are other options for using a cell phone handsfree and I don't think there would be support for a total ban on them. A day doesn't go by that I don't have to make defensive moves to avoid a crash BC of someone texting or talking on their cell phone.

I was passed on the interstate by a sheriff's deputy who was using his laptop while going 70 mph down the road. It was attached to the passenger side dashboard area and I saw that the monitor was on as he passed me. He, too, was crossing the lines on the road while he drove. (No emergency lights on, just driving somewhere.)

Old 10-12-2009, 09:44 AM

53 posts, read 112,778 times
Won't try it. Too dangerous.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:47 AM

649 posts, read 1,086,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Really? I didn't know that. It's hard to tell if someone is texting though...

In the immortal words of John McEnroe: "YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!!!"

You really can't tell when someone is texting!? Let me clue you in:
1) They keep looking down at their lap, then up again.
2) The car is drifting from side to side, sometimes just a little (because the frequency of them looking down/looking up) or they're weaving all over the road.
3) As w/ hand held cell phones, they can rarely hold their phone, drive and signal lane changes.

I've told my teenage daughters that texting while driving is in some ways worse than drunk driving because while a drunk driver has impaired reaction a texting driver has NO reaction because they simply are not watching the road.

inahandbasket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.