Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like texting while driving to be banned in the future?
Yes 88 88.89%
No 11 11.11%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 03:54 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodguy07 View Post
5 patriots who don't think the federal government should do more to restrict personal liberties. I want DC to stay out of my car... Where in the constitution is a centralized government authorized to enact or enforce such specific and ridiculous laws?
...5 "threats to public safety"..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 04:22 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,551,673 times
Quote:
5 patriots who don't think the federal government should do more to restrict personal liberties. I want DC to stay out of my car... Where in the constitution is a centralized government authorized to enact or enforce such specific and ridiculous laws?
I think things like this is where the libertarian impulse kind of loses people. If you feel this way about laws on texting-and-driving how about drinking-and-driving? There's nothing in the Constitution about that either. It's believed that in early America people got drunk way more than now so they would've been aware of drunk-driving of carriages. Is that also a right sadly lost?

Old 10-02-2009, 04:25 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,205 times
What I'd rather see is people responsible enough (and intelligent enough) to not do it on their own.
The state I live in just recently outlawed it. The state police association stated they think that it's essentially an unenforceable law until AFTER THE FACT, after a wreck, in which through telephone records they can see if some one was texting just prior to or at the time of an accident.

It would be generally an tough law to enforce...while I have seen it, most folks aren't visibly texting while driving.

But next, I guess we better outlaw eating while driving, changing radio stations while driving, reading the newspaper while driving, sex while driving, getting dressed while driving, etc. Wait, it already is! It is usually called negligent or reckless driving...

Old 10-02-2009, 05:22 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,235,557 times
Quote:
I thought you were being sarcastic at first but now I'm not sure...if not, then i want you out of your car, forget what "DC" is up to. Texting and driving do not combine, period. Same as reading, applying makeup, eating, etc. Even talking on the phone on a headset or changing radio stations is distracting enough...but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that it's a pretty stupid idea to type out words on a tiny keypad while attempting to look at the road and commandeer a large, heavy, fast moving object at the same time...all while in an unpredictable environment that requires your unwavering attention. Unless you enjoy putting yourself and others in unnecessary danger, then text away.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:25 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,578,172 times
Quote:
Hmmm. But don't you drive your car on public roads? As far as I'm concerned, you can text all you want when you are in your car when it is sitting in your driveway. When you are on the road with me, I don't want you texting. Obviously, there are elected officials who feel the same way!

Old 10-04-2009, 07:06 PM

594 posts, read 1,199,896 times
Cell Phone talk is banned in most of the U.S., except few states, such as Florida.
Texing is also banned in most of the U.S.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:32 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,578,172 times
^^ OK, thanks for telling us!!

Old 10-07-2009, 10:02 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,520,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post
I just came back home from USA (spend most of the time Atlanta) and was shocked how many people was texting while driving! That is so dangerous! In Europe, even talking on phone while driving is banned. Would you like texting while driving to be banned?
I think texting, talking on a cell phone, using a laptop, eating and loud and/or "bassy" music should all be banned while driving. A driver's license should be a privelege and not necessarily a "right".

A car can be a lethal weapon; one's full attention should be on driving while behind the steering wheel.....period!

Old 10-07-2009, 12:01 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,296,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
A driver's license should be a privelege and not necessarily a "right".

A car can be a lethal weapon; one's full attention should be on driving while behind the steering wheel.....period!
I like it! Excellent response!!!

Old 10-09-2009, 01:36 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,647,809 times
Not JUST texting while driving...

Tale of Woe » NY Truck Driver Crashes Into Pool While Texting Talking on 2 Cell Phones (http://www.taleofwoe.com/2009/07/30/ny-truck-driver-crashes-into-pool-while-on-2-cell-phones/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.