U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2009, 08:51 AM

82 posts, read 345,057 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for a small vacation property for a bit now, I've looked for property at Myrtle Beach, SC for the past year, but I believe the prices are still inflated, and the property values will be dropping for years.

Any one have any suggestions I would like to be somewhere along the ocean, doesn't have to be right on, warmer than Wisconsin ( that shouldn't be hard) Condo, or single family unit up to 150k.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 10:11 AM

55 posts, read 186,178 times
if you're looking to spend $150 you're not going to be "right on" any beach on the east coast of the US. In fact I'd be surprised if you can afford anything in any beach town in the northeast, maybe a trailer in a flood plane like 5 miles from the beach or possibly a nearby small town.

You're going to have to look in Virginia or the Carolinas to get anything decent for your money. Maybe lower Delaware would work - among the cleanest beaches in the country.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:44 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,996,309 times
Why don't you consider something on Lake Ontario in Upstate NY? Not the ocean, but it's like looking at the ocean (with smaller waves, of course). You could certainly find a property for around $150K.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:41 PM

82 posts, read 345,057 times
Thanks for the input guys.

I was thinking somewhere in the Carolinas, or maybe even Florida, I like warmer weather during the winter months, grew up around the ocean in the Mediterranean, I feel more at home in that setting.

I understand that 150k isn't much in certain areas, I guess ill just have to give up the idea of living next to Oprah, or Gates I grew up on an island with heavy tourism, and it doesn't bother me, almost enjoy it, its part of the reason I was looking at Myrtle Beach, SC

Thanks again

Old 10-04-2009, 06:50 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,279,232 times
A few years from now I plan on buying a summer house in coastal Canada. It's cheaper to get a place there compared to the US, even though it may be too cold for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.