U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 08:32 PM

6,992 posts, read 14,123,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
That's ridiculous. I live 7 blocks from a university and there's no way in hell I should just "expect" my neighbors to act like idiot banshees just because I live close to a university. If you're not living on campus, act like freaking adults (hell, even act like adults if you live on campus, but that's a little harder to expect).
Being students at a well-known university, they should be more educated on morals (especially since it's a Jesuit university) and know that their behavior is by no means acceptable in the adult world. Living off-campus means you are in the real world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 08:56 PM

1,189 posts, read 3,622,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
That's ridiculous. I live 7 blocks from a university and there's no way in hell I should just "expect" my neighbors to act like idiot banshees just because I live close to a university. If you're not living on campus, act like freaking adults (hell, even act like adults if you live on campus, but that's a little harder to expect).
True, you should expect people to act like civilized adults, but in reality-land there are idiots everywhere. They outnumber us by a wide margin...especially in a college town. I live next to about 5 of them as well. What can you realistically do except move? There isn't a law against being an ***hole and if you bug the cops enough they WILL start ignoring you. Then you have to find your own methods of pushing the scum out. Be creative.

The ones that go to religiously affiliated colleges are always the worst....away from mommy and daddy for the first time.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:40 AM

13,856 posts, read 23,001,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
What more can you do but move.
He's a high school student, it's not much of an option for at least a year.

It does sound like there's nothing he can do to stop it though. If the issue is just noise I'd suggest earplugs.

If this is a major issue in your community maybe your parents can find or start a group to discuss it. Possibly work on zoning or liquor laws or something. Not sure

Old 10-05-2009, 08:43 AM

34,713 posts, read 33,745,076 times
I live near a community college. No one lives there so it's quiet.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:25 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,224,704 times
I go to a large university.
If I lived next door to you I'd be the one puking in your flower garden and peeing on the lawn gnomes. I'd be making obscene amounts of noise at ungodly hours of the night.
Sorry....

JK..i actually live in the honors dorm so its deathly quiet..its so boring

Old 10-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,829 posts, read 33,254,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
If the issue is just noise I'd suggest earplugs.
This is a good outside-the-box suggestion. I second it.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:07 AM

Location: Its easy to be a perfectionist when someone else is doing all the work.
2,232 posts, read 5,468,879 times
Some people just cant be trusted to function without adult supervision. Im sorry you have to put up with some of them. Since calling the police dont seem to be working maybe your problem could be approached from other angles.

If the place is as bad as you say then its not fit to be inhabited. Call the Board of Health on the landlord. What are the occupancy rules for rentals and is he breaking them? Report that too.

Im sure some of their parents might be interested too. Especially if the neighbors took turns calling them at 3am with the music blaring in the background and asked them politely to ask their offspring to please turn it down. Remember. Never threaten. Always be polite. Take turns. Wouldnt want one person to get accused of harrassment.

Or the neighbors could all band together and take turns playing Polka music etc during their sleep times. Hey fair is fair. You celebrate at night. We festivate in the day time. A little church organ music on Sunday probably wouldnt hurt either.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:42 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,763,355 times
Follow the money. Students live there because it is cheap. It is cheap because it is owned by a scumlord. I don't know Los Angeles or how much it cares about things like this, but the place has to be breaking city codes eight ways to Sunday. Call the city inspector, there is a good chance that his rental license will get pulled. It would be in Minneapolis.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 629 times
Ask your apartment or university to look into a cool new application called Kricket! [url=http://www.kricket.co]Kricket - Home[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or