Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 08:24 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times

Advertisements

I would like to relocate to an area that is religiously and racially inclusive outside of Florida. I am not looking for people who think like I do as much as people who have respect for those who think differently than themselves.

There are several areas of Florida where I know this to be the case, but I would like to relocate to a state that has a change of seasons. North Florida has a change of seasons, but other than our state capital, there is a great deal of intolerance.

It seems that the cities that are more socially liberal tend to be in the north and have long cold winters. Any place a little further south that would fit my criteria?

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 06:19 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,364 times
Charlotte would be a great choice. A really good mix of conservative/liberal who get along well.

Old 01-20-2007, 10:58 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
The larger the city it seems the more likely you will find that tolerance. With so many people and so many other daily issues to contend with, people in big cities (read New York, etc) are less likely to concern themselves with other people's beliefs.

But don't expect total tolerance--it appears to be impossible, anywhere, to find such a balanced community.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:05 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
I think Asheville, North Carolina would fit your bill. It's a very open-minded, diverse, and tolerant community with a definite change of seasons. They get snow in the winter but the winters aren't that long and drawn out. Outside of Asheville, I think certain parts of metro Atlanta would fit your bill, as would a good deal of college towns.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:58 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I think Asheville, North Carolina would fit your bill. It's a very open-minded, diverse, and tolerant community with a definite change of seasons. They get snow in the winter but the winters aren't that long and drawn out. Outside of Asheville, I think certain parts of metro Atlanta would fit your bill, as would a good deal of college towns.

OP>>>
'It seems that the cities that are more socially liberal tend to be in the north and have long cold winters. Any place a little further south that would fit my criteria?'
~~~~~~
The population of metro Atlanta is now over 5,000,000.

(tongue-in-cheek) If you are in FL surely you know about Atlanta, GA?

It is not LA or NYC --but people here are 'busy'--trying to earn a living, etc-don't know that I consider that especially 'tolerant' but that is what goes on here.
SLS

Old 01-21-2007, 07:02 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
How about Philadelphia and its surrounding area? I find it very tolerant. You will enjoy all 4 seasons, but the winter isn't too bad or too long, as long as you don't go too far north of the city (say, not more than an hour's drive).

Old 01-22-2007, 09:36 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
You could always try Alaska! We can tolerate...as well as be tolerated!

Old 01-23-2007, 04:50 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
You all have given me some great ideas. Thanks. Been to Ashville- love it, Atlanta- been there, but it's so big, I wouldn't know where to start.

I think I need to take a road trip this summer and check out the rest. Okay, except Alaska... I need sun! Went to check out Portland, OR last year and fell in love with it, even had a job offer.....but that grey-sky thing killed me.

Thank you all again!

Old 09-26-2009, 04:41 PM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Sacramento.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:53 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
St. Louis City is generally pretty liberal. The suburbs? Not as much (from my understanding, the further west and south you go, the more conservative it gets). But you get the change of seasons. Winters aren't as harsh as Chicago. Summers can be rough with the humidity, although this summer has been mild. There's lots of college students. Low cost of living. Might be worth a look.

I would think most major cities would be liberal enough anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.