Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 07:34 PM

737 posts, read 1,176,305 times

Advertisements

Found this article about small town population, seems most appropriate in this thread
How to Reverse the Rural Brain Drain | Newsweek National News | Newsweek.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 07:59 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
One thing I wanted to note here about my own state. Once in a while you see a troll say that New York State is dying, upstate in particular. Or they say there is nothing in NYS outside of Manhattan.

If you look at the map there are some blue counties that are losing population, notably Erie (Buffalo) and Niagara. But MOST New York counties, including upstate counties have small gains. These gains are small I agree, but it shows that most of the state is not dying.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:06 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
One thing I wanted to note here about my own state. Once in a while you see a troll say that New York State is dying, upstate in particular. Or they say there is nothing in NYS outside of Manhattan.

If you look at the map there are some blue counties that are losing population, notably Erie (Buffalo) and Niagara. But MOST New York counties, including upstate counties have small gains. These gains are small I agree, but it shows that most of the state is not dying.
True, but upstate NY loses a huge quantity of younger educated workers to other states. NY still ranks in the top five when it comes to population out-migration. NYC is the engine that drives growth and upstate NY still faces a high tax burden relative to lower wages and a more severe regulatory climate compared to other states.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:18 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:

Many of the cities that have been losing population over the recent decades are beginning to reinvent themselves. Cities like Buffalo that have lost a lot of residents will have to get used to being smaller cities and work to retain the residents they still have.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
True, but upstate NY loses a huge quantity of younger educated workers to other states. NY still ranks in the top five when it comes to population out-migration. NYC is the engine that drives growth and upstate NY still faces a high tax burden relative to lower wages and a more severe regulatory climate compared to other states.
Yet the population of most counties is still growing as we can see by the map. Perhaps a little less negativity and a more postive outlook might be the first step.

Speaking of which, despite all the bad mouthing that Michigan gets, look at most of Michigan.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Many of the cities that have been losing population over the recent decades are beginning to reinvent themselves. Cities like Buffalo that have lost a lot of residents will have to get used to being smaller cities and work to retain the residents they still have.
I have also heard postive things about Syracuse and Troy. The Capitol District is growing, especially Saratoga County. Also the Rochester area is holding steady, although maybe not the city itself as much yet.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:20 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Yet the population of most counties is still growing as we can see by the map. Perhaps a little less negativity and a more postive outlook might be the first step.

Speaking of which, despite all the bad mouthing that Michigan gets, look at most of Michigan.
Stability in terms of slow population growth is good while economic stability is generally perceived as being bad (outmigration and loss to the tax base). Enterprenurship and the creation of small businesses can help. Having competitive business taxes and a more favorable regulatory environment are keys. The ability to retain intellectual capital is what upstate NY needs to work on.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:29 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Many (stupid) people still think "newer" and "bigger" in the outer ring suburbia is better.
Fixed it for you!

Old 10-31-2009, 03:19 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,478 times
Quote:
Exactly the reason I left NY

High taxes and not much to show for it with the dysfunctional government up there

Many of my friends, family and their families have moved either South or West which seems to be the overall trend

Also, since global warming is a naturally occurring phenomenon, shouldn't people be moving at some point to those upper midwest regions since they will not be affected by the rise of oceans the way the growing coasts will?

Old 10-31-2009, 09:43 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Middle America looks as if it should practically be empty.

You mean the Great Plains areas that are all blue? It's almost always been pretty empty!

Cold and hot weather, and not a lot of steady precipitation in many areas. Never been a lot of cities in that area.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/ima...n_2005_lrg.jpg

From the mountains east to where the Gulf of Mexico starts influencing the climate it's pretty sparse. Things pick up quick as far as urban and rural populations when you hit the line from Minneapolis to Omaha, Witchita, Oklahoma City, Dallas, San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.