Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2007, 06:09 AM

786 posts, read 4,732,562 times

Advertisements

I think there are nice and friendly people in towns and Cities of all sizes, but the environment of very large cities can make people, who are basically good, feel rushed, abrupt, threatened and overwelmed. The response can be to withdraw from people who are not already close friends or family.

On the other hand, really small towns can be close minded and many of the people are known to exclude people who are not from there or share a common appearance. My parents where very outgoing and friendly people and did not make many friends in the small town they lived in their final years.

What sized town is the best for making friends and interacting with friendly people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 06:13 AM

606 posts, read 698,942 times
100,000 people I guess

Old 05-06-2007, 11:44 AM

26 posts, read 156,898 times
enough ppl to share hobbies/activities/values with you so u even have a shot. enough places to share those things.

sized town makes no difference except too small if they arent your kind of ppl...want to see if the very small town is your cup of tea or not? be brave go into the local restaurant/bar that seems to be where ppl hang out and really busy cause the cook makes their famous whatever's and order it and go talk with ppl and listen/observe as well.

even in gigantic Metro Areas cities if you work at it you can find places where peeps hang out eventually you will come across your crowd.

yeah you have to be open and condfient but if nicest ppl is a concern then you prolly are an open and confident indvl.

Or did you mean not trying to meet ppl but everday living like the cashier or neighbors or at the pump or store?

If so, size besides small and not your type again but also an educated community with values (eg religion of many faiths). Solution get gas at one place, a meal at another, buy a paper at another, read the paper esp op-ed, shop for clothing, food, esp a vehichle (just dont take too much of their time if not really interested), even an innsurance agency. You can tell a lot from ppl who are trying to sell you something.

Samantha Isabella

Old 05-06-2007, 07:31 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,113 times
Agree with Samantha. Doesn't it depend on the person, how comfortable they are in their new town, how comfortable people are with them, how comfortable they are with themselves, etc.? Some people do well anywhere because they're very gregarious & people gravitate towards them as they're positive, have appealing qualities & are charismatic. Others are shy, or in some cases, too picky & always find it difficult to blend. And, sometimes, it's just bloody old luck of the draw. If you're the one XXX who lives in a townful of YYY, yep, ya' can find it harder to be accepted. But, you chose the town & can choose again if it's not a fit.

We can feel isolated & lonely or vibrantly happy in any state of the Union. Ultimately, it depends on "us". People who want friends, will seek them out in different ways (church, senior/teen group, athletic activity, local chorale/choir, card game, social club, adult education classes, exercise groups, local hangouts, coffee bars, volunteering or begin their own groups) & not give up.

Anytime I've found myself brooding & sitting inside on a bright, sunny Saturday afternoon not having fun, I remind myself that it's my choice to do so. That usually makes me laugh, get up & out of the house, even if it's just for a walk to buy a coffee & sit on a park bench for 15-min. There's no shortage of people on the planet. Sometimes, we just need to stretch a bit. We also need to be kind to ourselves & not fall into loneliness, frustration or isolation. It gets easier with patience, a sense of adventure & time... VV

Last edited by Baltic_Celt; 05-06-2007 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: Additions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.