U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 03:26 AM

579 posts, read 1,147,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Have you tried the internet? There are a bunch of single sites you can in your profile list if you are looking for a relationship, just casual dating or friends.
I have tried the Internet (i.e. eHarmony and Match.com) but neither of those services have worked for me yet. Usually my inquiries have gone unanswered. The few dates I have had were with girls who had little in common with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 06:39 AM

4,286 posts, read 13,398,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
I have tried the Internet (i.e. eHarmony and Match.com) but neither of those services have worked for me yet. Usually my inquiries have gone unanswered. The few dates I have had were with girls who had little in common with me.
I did matchmaker.com and yahoo singles which might now be match.com? I met a couple people I dated for awhile and my now SO for over three years. I'm sure different areas have more men than women and maybe vice versa. As far as Eharmony, I filled out one of their profiles and they sent me people that I had nothing in common and were not even in my age group. Make sure you use a site you have to pay for, any free site brings in people just fooling around, people looking to cheat on their spouse or people that want pen pals. If someone pays, usually their more serious about meeting someone for a relationship. You should have a picture up and be honest in your profile, otherwise you're wasting their time and yours. I'm assuming you write to people that in their profile you have things in common with? Most important.... be honest with yourself, if you are 40 and writing to 18 year olds, overweight and the person says they want someone physically fit, interested in the outdoors but they are more into art museums then it's probably not a match. Don't write to someone just because you think they are pretty....not saying you do that but I don't know? One more thing, women like confident men but not arrogance, so if you are coming across insecure or like a jerk than it's going to be harder to meet someone. Maybe write something funny to them, that usually breaks the ice and everyone likes funny.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:28 AM

3,455 posts, read 7,302,914 times
Default internet dating

Thats good advice for the guys Rapture.

I'm a female and have done internet dating too. I wont go near the sites where you can just shop for a girls picture (I only use eharmony -- and mostly for that reason!!)

I can usually tell if a guy has read my whole profile, or if he is just looking at the picture. I can always tell if the guy is looking for a real relationship or if he is just....looking....

I have had both good and bad experiences with internet dating. I have met some really nice guys who would do better if they did a couple of things ....

1. try a little harder to look nice -- make sure your pants cover your socks type thing....and if your super skinny try weight lifting at least on occasion, or wear clothes that do not highlight the fact it looks like a good wind will blow you away. (women do care about appearance....not a ton, but your clothes and the way you make the best of what you have makes a huge difference!! we want to know you care about how you look on a date!)

2. DONT LIE if I show up for a date and see that a guy is really 5'6'' but he said he was 5'10'' I will be mad. This makes you a liar.

3. Keep your expectations in check....like Rapture said....if your 40 and overweight dont expect to find a 21 year old beauty queen who cant wait to meet you

4. Be up front....like the height thing. Present your true self as much as possible. Women will respect you for that. I turned down a guy who was disabled because he waited until the night before the date to tell me. That is something that should be in the profile. You dont have to pretend to be someone your not. just be yourself.

5. Since we are talking about location -- give a little. I have had guys in my own metra area say "I think the distance between us is too great" wha?? If you can't handle dating someone who could be your future wife -- because she lives more than 10 miles away from you -- your not ready to find your future wife.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:55 AM

149 posts, read 937,262 times
When I lived in the Pacific Northwest it seemed like the guys had it made, especially in Bellingham where WWU is. My sister moved there for one year. She finally left because "there were too many women and she couldn't find a date to save her life". She moved back to her previous town in Colorado where the male/female ratio is much better.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:00 AM

579 posts, read 1,147,538 times
Wink Can anyone help me get a job in Washington?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenial View Post
When I lived in the Pacific Northwest it seemed like the guys had it made, especially in Bellingham where WWU is. My sister moved there for one year.
That would seem to be good for me. I would like to live in a mountainous region of the USA where people enjoy outdoor activities, so Washington would work well for me. Can anyone help me get a job there?

Ken Akerman

Old 06-17-2007, 09:54 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident View Post
Top 10 cities for singles according to Forbes.

Rank City
1 Denver-Boulder
2 Boston
3 Phoenix
4 San Francisco-Oakland
5 New York
6 Raleigh-Durham
7 Seattle
8 Austin, Texas
9 Washington D.C.-Baltimore
10 Miami
an interesting take on the forbes article and how questionable each of their "criteria" seem to be, especially relative to denver (scroll to the forbes section on this site):

It's Not Me, It's You: September 2005

Old 06-17-2007, 10:06 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,914,464 times
I actually believe that a smaller city is easier to make friends and find a mate. In large cities, and I'll just speak for a city like New York, you are meeting folks every second, but not connecting.

In cities of 100,000-500,000 you would probably have fewer choices but more opportunities.

And I've known quite a few people who have walked into a town of 5,000, met someone the first week and married them!

Just my take on it and past experiences.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:33 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,732,076 times
Here's my advice: The world is a very large place and there is someone for everybody. True enough not everyone will have the looks of a young Elizabeth Taylor or Jon Bon Jovi. Some people are born with favorable genetics but remember that looks are NOT everything. What you need and something that few people have is called "security." Most people of BOTH sexes are very insecure about who they are and what they have to offer.
This is not to mention that men and women are wired and think differently about things.

I think you need to be open and honest as to what you're looking for and don't be afraid of rejection. Yeah, I know, it's easier said than done but it's true. In my experience you have to be willing to face rejection if you're going to find the "right person." If you love yourself, bare a certain degree of confidence, have a steady job, can carry a conversation and possess a spark of humor you shouldn't have any problems.

Hint: Establish commen interests at the onset and work from there. Chances are if you share similar values, interests and politics your looks won't even be an issue.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:57 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
Here's my advice: The world is a very large place and there is someone for everybody. True enough not everyone will have the looks of a young Elizabeth Taylor or Jon Bon Jovi. Some people are born with favorable genetics but remember that looks are NOT everything. What you need and something that few people have is called "security." Most people of BOTH sexes are very insecure about who they are and what they have to offer.
This is not to mention that men and women are wired and think differently about things.

I think you need to be open and honest as to what you're looking for and don't be afraid of rejection. Yeah, I know, it's easier said than done but it's true. In my experience you have to be willing to face rejection if you're going to find the "right person." If you love yourself, bare a certain degree of confidence, have a steady job, can carry a conversation and possess a spark of humor you shouldn't have any problems.

Hint: Establish commen interests at the onset and work from there. Chances are if you share similar values, interests and politics your looks won't even be an issue.
good advice. at the same time, i think you can be absolutely comfortable with yourself, cool, and good looking with plenty to offer in a place where the odds are just against you; in other words, in a place with many more available men than women (as a man), and a place where what available women there are TEND to just not be your type. sure there might be a few that are good for you and vice versa, but, it can be VERY hard to find those that are available and WHERE you are when you are there. then, as far as i find, the whole feel of interactions in a place becomes different (especially in a city where people are already sort of on guard or otherwise just typically more superficially crossing paths so not quite connecting). thoughts?

Old 12-07-2008, 08:01 AM

2 posts, read 3,879 times
hello everybady.im an albanian boy,24 years old.i want to get married with an american,or european girl.my email adress is:lysjeni@hotmail. contact me.and on facebook.search lysjen kalo and here i am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or