U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 08:59 AM

606 posts, read 533,812 times

Advertisements

for males to find girls.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 09:07 AM

49 posts, read 47,905 times
Top 10 cities for singles according to Forbes.

Rank City
1 Denver-Boulder
2 Boston
3 Phoenix
4 San Francisco-Oakland
5 New York
6 Raleigh-Durham
7 Seattle
8 Austin, Texas
9 Washington D.C.-Baltimore
10 Miami

Old 05-07-2007, 12:29 AM

579 posts, read 1,146,920 times
Talking Best cities for men to find a mate and get married?

I thought it would be a good idea to turn around the question originally posted by LivingSingle123. (However, I'm a conservative, so I would prefer living in a conservative area and meeting a conservative woman).

Ken Akerman

Old 05-14-2007, 10:31 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,036,479 times
Default Forbes and singles

I honestly think that the Forbes "best cities for singles" is off. For one, it does not account for the numbers of men and women in a place. Denver and Boulder have LOTS of guys relative to numbers of women. Also, it weights things like number of people on match.com and numbers of singles as heavily as anything else. It seems like lots of people on match.com could mean it's a BAD place to be single. And have you ever looked on match.com for the area? Good luck if you're a guy. Also, yes Denver's big-ish and so there are many types of people, but there is an overwhelming number of a couple of particular types such as white, affluent, outgoing and sporty. Boulder, too. A lot of the nightlife in the area can be a bit like jocks and Greeks (frat., soror.) night out to relive the college days. If you're not into much of these things, it can be a very different picture than what Forbes might see. Also, it's not clear to me that Forbes accounts for salaries relative to cost of living - it's cheaper than NY or San Francisco, but the salaries are way lower, too. That's not to say it's inherently bad for singles here, but in my experience, it's not especially good for singles here, either. For me, it's been the worst place I've been as far as that goes (best in other ways).

Old 05-15-2007, 12:08 AM

Cool It would appear to me that Colorado is a great place to meet women

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
It's no secret that CO has AK in it's sights when it comes to male to female ratios. Even Denver has one of the more favorable ratios for women looking to meet men . . . To be honest, I'm not exactly sure why it's so male heavy around here in a such a large population, other than the possibility that it attracts a lot of people that are willing to leave friends and family behind for lifestyle, and maybe more men are willing to do that than women?
One would think that if a man is looking to meet an outdoorsy, active woman, then Colorado would be the place to go. I used to live in Colorado and I would like to return there to live. Although some other places may have a higher population of women, many of those places don't appeal to me because those areas don't offer the wealth of outdoor activities that Colorado offers.

I currently live in Arizona, and Arizona has many beautiful women, but apparently my social skills aren't that good because I have yet to develop a steady relationship with a woman in Arizona yet.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:05 AM

1,765 posts, read 6,378,408 times
I'll agree. I think that list is off. For example, college towns place in there simply because of the ratio. "College dating" consists of parties where people go "woooooooooo" often and the floor smells like a freeway rest stop bathroom. Then look at the inclusion of DC/Baltimore and NYC. I've lived in both places, and can't imagine them being a dating mecca unless you are seriously well off. When single and in DC/NOVA, I found the opposite sex on the dating scene to be stuck up and pre-occupied with husband hunting.

Now take a city like Houston TX. Supposedly, there are more single males than females. Well, as a single guy in Houston, I can say that the dating scene (and club scene) is amazing. I'm no looker and often had dates on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. It was like some romantic comedy -- only I was in it and it was cool. The bad thing about it was most dates (at least for me) originated on the matchmaking sites. I think the gals feel better about checking a guy out (name, phone, address, etc) than meeting him on the town.

In general, I'd say go where the people are friendly and the economy is good but not overpriced. I'm married again now though, so what do I know? :-P

Old 05-15-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident View Post
Top 10 cities for singles according to Forbes.

Rank City
1 Denver-Boulder
2 Boston
3 Phoenix
In the past 14 years I have lived in Fort Collins, CO, about 60 miles north of Denver (May 1993- Nov. 1997); Denver (Nov. 1997 - Aug. 1999); and Scottsdale or Tempe (Aug. 1999 - present). I am still single, although I do want to meet a girl and get married. I don't know what this means, but if I haven't found a wife after living for more than 9 years in two of the three best metro areas for single people, then I presume I am doomed to being permanently single.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:51 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,299,643 times
its true...I think the odds in those places are better for women. Want to trade places?

Old 05-16-2007, 01:43 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,393,864 times
Have you tried the internet? There are a bunch of single sites you can in your profile list if you are looking for a relationship, just casual dating or friends.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:57 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,036,479 times
the internet sites for the area are full of...guys, predominantly. and otherwise can have a very meat market or superficial feel. take a look and let me know what you see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or