U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 04:32 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,298,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Philly definitely deserves that spot. We have some of the most passionate fans in sports, an NBA team that makes the playoffs, a defending world series championship team currently trying to repeat, an NFL team that has been in the NFC Championship 5 times out of the past 8 seasons and is picked by some to win the SB this year and an NHL team that makes the playoffs and is picked by many to win the Stanley Cup this year.

On top off all that we have a rich history in NCAA Basketball
Does the best sports city automatically mean the winningest sports city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 04:53 PM

11,888 posts, read 10,420,383 times
No but that paired with a deep sports history and the most loyal and passionate fans in sports does

Old 10-08-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
No but that paired with a deep sports history and the most loyal and passionate fans in sports does
That description fits several other cities as well...at least according to it's residents it does.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:13 PM

1,779 posts, read 3,492,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
You do recognize that football isn't the only sport in Gainesville? It draws the largest crowds of course, but there is also:

men's basketball: 2 National Championships, 1 runner-up, 6 SEC Championships

baseball: 5 College World Series appearances, 10 SEC Championships

women's tennis: 4 NCAA National Championships, 6 ITA National Championships, 6 times runner-up, 23 SEC Championships

volleyball: 7 Final Four appearances, 1 runner-up, 18 SEC Championships

men's swimming/diving: 2 National Championships, 33 SEC Championships

women's swimming/diving: 2 National Championships, 17 SEC Championships

men's golf: 4 National Championships, 2 individual Championships, 14 SEC Championships

women's golf: 2 National Championships, 8 SEC Championships

women's soccer: 1 National Championship, 9 SEC Championships

University of Florida athletics has placed in the top 10 Division I Athletic Programs for 26 consecutive years, according the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (Director's Cup, NACDA Directors' Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
I know that. But none of that comes anywhere close to the football craze in Gainesville. Women's tennis may have some championships, but it has a very limited fan base. As do most of the other sports you posted. And the football craze in Gainesville is not even close to the hockey craze in Montreal.

The Gators have only become relevant in the past 20 years. The Canadiens have dominated the NHL in many different eras and have been a major factor in the league for its entire existence.

Montreal has sold out every game and led the NHL in attendance for as long as the stats have been available.

There were riots in Montreal over bad refeering and a suspension of a Canadiens player. Not out of control parties, these were actual riots over a suspension.

I'm not just slamming Gainesville, but Montreal should be much higher on that list. It's not just Gainesville, but a lot of the other sports cities above Montreal are not even close to the passion of the Montreal fans.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
I know that. But none of that comes anywhere close to the football craze in Gainesville. Women's tennis may have some championships, but it has a very limited fan base. As do most of the other sports you posted. And the football craze in Gainesville is not even close to the hockey craze in Montreal.

The Gators have only become relevant in the past 20 years. The Canadiens have dominated the NHL in many different eras and have been a major factor in the league for its entire existence.

Montreal has sold out every game and led the NHL in attendance for as long as the stats have been available.

There were riots in Montreal over bad refeering and a suspension of a Canadiens player. Not out of control parties, these were actual riots over a suspension.

I'm not just slamming Gainesville, but Montreal should be much higher on that list. It's not just Gainesville, but a lot of the other sports cities above Montreal are not even close to the passion of the Montreal fans.

But Montreal isn't higher on the list than Gainesville...and I was trying to help you understand why. It's not all about sold out NHL games and history. It's hard to compare football and hockey, but selling out every game in a 90,000 seat stadium is much more impressive to me than selling out a 17,000 seat arena. And the point of my post was to let you know that there are A LOT more championships in Gainesville than just football.

I'm sorry, but collegiate sports generally have a larger and more loyal following than pro sports, especially at large universities with highly successful athletics programs like Florida.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:21 PM

5,100 posts, read 6,877,631 times
Morgantown!!!! Duhhh!!!! LOL

Old 10-09-2009, 08:18 AM

77 posts, read 167,911 times
I have a hard time with this list. I come from a place where the fan base is for men's college basketball (a mid-major school, at that), and that's it. Nobody from here goes to any other local sporting event past the high school level. So I don't have any biases toward this list. But I really don't understand how Pittsburgh makes the top of this list. Sure, the Steelers are a good team, and Steeler fans are a passionate group. But enough to carry this city to #1?

My top 10:
1. Boston
2. New York
3(t). Philadelphia
3(t). Denver
5. Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill
6. Chicago
7. Minneapolis-St. Paul
8. Pittsburgh
9. Miami
10. Dallas-Ft. Worth

Old 10-09-2009, 02:59 PM

5,100 posts, read 6,877,631 times
Moooorrrgggggaaannnttttooowwwwwnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! WV

Old 10-09-2009, 04:44 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,731,685 times
Pretty ludicrous list.
Storrs CT at 43? Isn't UCONN the only show in town? Granted they have hoops but football is average at best and not exactly a huge stadium.

Portland at 32 above Seattle at 52? How the he!! do you justify this? PDX has the Trailblazers, a AAA team that nobody wants (apparently), and Portland State - a commuter school with little sports draw. Seattle has NFL, MLB, and U Washington.

Living in Portland, I see no possible way to justify their ranking. They are crazy about their Trailblazers, but that is pretty much the be-all end-all of their sports scene.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:47 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,409,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'm sorry, but collegiate sports generally have a larger and more loyal following than pro sports, especially at large universities with highly successful athletics programs like Florida.
That's what happens when they pay them more than the professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or