U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 11:19 PM

542 posts, read 792,476 times

Advertisements

I never gave it much thought either. But it sure sucks when that happy little squirrel electrocutes itself and knocks power out in your neighborhood, or a tree falls on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 11:27 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,342,148 times
Now, I love my hometown of Rome, and it is a beautiful city, but the power lines and traffic lines are awful! Buried lines and traffic poles would probably increase tourism here from Chattanooga and Atlanta. From what I've heard, yes it is more difficult to repair, but the frequency of problems is far lower.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:33 PM

2,242 posts, read 5,562,006 times
Aren't they above ground everywhere?
I never been to a town where they are underground....

And I don't notice them.
They're just part of the city

Old 10-12-2009, 06:45 AM

887 posts, read 1,378,518 times
Am i the only one who has never been bothered by such things at all?

Old 10-12-2009, 09:08 AM

46 posts, read 88,649 times
Mmm, talking of being in a trillion dollar debt in America, I heard a rumor that China is loaning the money and Obama signed on this, is this true?!

Old 10-12-2009, 09:10 AM

I have to add that underground utilities are so much better looking but with a depression on the horizon, how could we ever afford that? IF we could, it sure would be nice! I lived in areas with and without them and I have to say its nice not to see them!

Old 10-12-2009, 09:01 PM

558 posts, read 440,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgher4life View Post
Mmm, talking of being in a trillion dollar debt in America, I heard a rumor that China is loaning the money and Obama signed on this, is this true?!

With the exception of a few years during Clinton's presidency, the Federal Government has run annual deficits for most of the past 40 years. The government finances the deficit mainly by selling bonds. The bonds must be paid for in dollars. Who has dollars? The Chinese, because we pay them hundreds of billions of dollars every year for all the crap we import. For the Chinese, it has been a safe investment, although lately they have been getting worried because of our current masssive deficits. All of a sudden, U.S. govt bonds don't look like a gold plated investment anymore. If China stops or substantially reduces it's purchases of U.S. govt debt, we're sunk.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:03 PM

558 posts, read 440,289 times
Back to the question of above ground vs. underground utilities, I noticed that the first time I went to Europe. Aesthetically, underground utility cables are much to be preferred. Besides the cost involved, I wonder if the weather has anything to do with the differences. The NorthEast and MidWest get so much colder than Europe in the Winter, would the ground freezing make underground cables less reliable or more prone to damage?

Old 02-01-2010, 09:35 AM

I doubt power lines are killing us, that kinda of out there inmo...we need them and have money to put them underground anyhow even if they were dangeorus, they aren't.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:08 AM

4,249 posts, read 9,731,955 times
Many newer (post-1980 say, but date varies by place) subdivisions and land developments are built under municipal rules that require underground power, cable, and telephone lines.

I must say I really notice the difference when there are aboveground power lines along roads or not. Mifflinburg, PA is visually much different than similar sized towns in central PA due to the nature trees shading the sidewalks in front. The power lines are in the alleys behind the homes, so the trees aren't repeatedly trimmed by the power crews.

I can often tell when I'm in electric cooperative vs. private utility territory in rural PA. The electric coops typically operate with blanket easements where power lines were run cross country if shorter to get from place to place. The private companies typically were restricted to public road rights-of-way. Roadside trees look a lot different with 60 years of trimming vs. when they're not.

I met a Utah native who visited PA and said "Your mountains would look nice except for the high voltage power lines scarring the mountainsides, we don't do that here." That got me to looking for the rest of our trip to Utah and indeed the high voltage power lines do run straight up and down the mountains depending on where they want to go. The difference is the rate of vegetation growth, no need to trim scrub that would never grow up to meet the power lines.

As a ubiquitous part of our society I think power lines just are visually tuned out by many folks. Hence some of the visual distinctions they collaterally cause seem to be more felt than described.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or