U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 10:35 AM

35,155 posts, read 32,136,802 times

Advertisements

The States make millions with red light cameras so that's why they have them. Eventually all States will have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 11:41 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The States make millions with red light cameras so that's why they have them. Eventually all States will have them.
Michigan had them for a long time, but got rid of them many years ago. Plus red light cameras are illegal here in MI.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:15 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,536,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Perhaps it is easier for a hidden camera at intersection to photograph a front plate for ticketing purposes.
I suppose this would be a logical reason and the ticket revenue would more than pay for the plates. But this is a relatively new innovation and many states have had these front plates for years. Here in Michigan we have not had them the 20 years I've lived here.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Michigan had them for a long time, but got rid of them many years ago. Plus red light cameras are illegal here in MI.
That may change if the state gets money hungry enough. I hope not. Those front plates look so ugly on cars. Great at killing bugs though!
Also if I am not mistaken when you buy a new car in a state that has front plates the dealer charges you for the plate holder and mounting. Probably nothing compared to the total purchase but still money wastefully spent.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:24 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,827,348 times
Nobody has mentioned an obvious reason for front plates...so law enforcement has maximum flexibility in identifying vehicles. Not all traffic stops are from behind.

Here are the states where you only need one plate:

AL, AZ, AR, DE, FL, GA, IN, KS, KY, LA, MI, MS, NM, NC, OK, PA, SC, TN, WV

Old 10-09-2009, 12:36 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,217,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
but they're ugly as hell on many cars.
Yep...

But i've always wondered, what do you do about a car that doesn't come with a front license plate holder?

For example, a guy that goes to my school has an Aston Martin and it doesn't have any place to attach the front tags so he doesn't have any. Its def. illegal and I'm not sure how many tickets he gets (i'm sure he can afford them..lol) but what do you do in that situation? I'd absolutely hate drilling holes in the front of my car to attach a license plate/tag holder...

Old 10-09-2009, 12:49 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,287,210 times
Law enforcement can identify vehicles easier by having a front license plate as they aren't always looking just at the back of a car.

I remember there was an arguement made for why we should keep from license plates in CA when a girl got kidnapped and there was an amber alert. At an intersection an officer saw a car that was the right color and make in the left turn lane across the intersection from him. Because there was a front license plate, he was able to easily just look at the numbers and then know it was the right car.

It is also probably easier for photo cameras and for meter maids giving tickets when cars pull front in to metered parking spots.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
Yep...

But i've always wondered, what do you do about a car that doesn't come with a front license plate holder?

For example, a guy that goes to my school has an Aston Martin and it doesn't have any place to attach the front tags so he doesn't have any. Its def. illegal and I'm not sure how many tickets he gets (i'm sure he can afford them..lol) but what do you do in that situation? I'd absolutely hate drilling holes in the front of my car to attach a license plate/tag holder...
My Saturn doesn't have one. I would have to drill holes if I moved back to Ohio or another state that reguired "frontals". And yeah that would suck.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:53 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,320,912 times
I was always been wondering the opposite: why would some states not require it!

Old 10-09-2009, 02:33 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,234,845 times
We have red light cameras all over the place in downstate NY, so we need the front plates for that reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.