U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 08:45 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,130,269 times

Advertisements

To all the people who make the red light camera claim, they have red light cameras in states without dual plates. The cameras in Louisiana and Mississippi have no problem tagging you with a ticket if you speed through or run a light. Also, most dealerships have front plate holders for ever make and model car. People who move from a single plate state to a dual plate state and don't have the holder can just go to the dealership and buy one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 08:49 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,190,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Following your rationale, why not get rid of number plates altogether?
They serve a purpose, such as cases where identification is neccessary. I don't see why your line of reasoning has taken this path though. License plates existed long before and were not created to serve the existence of red-light cameras. Support of one certainly does not follow support of the other.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:25 PM

43 posts, read 139,958 times
I think they're a good idea. A police officer isn't always going to see a possible problem car from behind - there should be a way to identify vehicles from both angles. Red light cameras can work around the location of the plates, but a cop driving the opposite direction can't. A person being followed can't. If I were being followed, I'd want to be able to look in my mirror to get an idea of the car and its plate number to tell 911.

Personalizing is fun, but it's really not a reason to have or not have these plates. Financial or law enforcement issues would be more important

Old 10-20-2009, 06:08 AM

34,666 posts, read 33,667,394 times
My guess is it's an excuse for more government bureacracy and somewhere somebody makes money off of it. Do you pay more for plates if you are a two plate state versus a one plate state?

Old 10-20-2009, 08:23 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,275,676 times
I think it's necessary, but still annoying. I'm a car enthusiast and hate to see cars like Ferraris and Corvettes with front tags but I still think it's important for a law enforcement official to see a license plate on both ends of the vehicle. Most states that don't have them aren't as urban, the exceptions being California and Florida. For instance, in the very dense Northeast only Delaware and Pennsylvania (which is heavily rural) don't have front tags. Most Southern and Western states don't have them either.

States without front plates:

Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Michigan
Mississippi
New Mexico
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Tennessee
West Virginia

Old 04-20-2010, 07:41 AM

13,217 posts, read 17,945,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
...in the very dense Northeast only Delaware and Pennsylvania (which is heavily rural) don't have front tags.
You've never been south or east of Blue Mountain in Pennsylvania, have you?

Old 04-21-2010, 06:17 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,863,321 times
I've always wondered why some states didn't have them. My state (IL) requires them and it makes sense to me.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:09 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,571,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I've always wondered why some states didn't have them. My state (IL) requires them and it makes sense to me.
Well it doesn't make sense to me. It's simply too much, looks tacky. The sides and roof need a plate too???

Old 04-25-2010, 04:51 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,669,100 times
Missouri requires them front and rear unless you have a 3/4+ ton pickup, then you only need one on the front.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:03 AM

1 posts, read 14,067 times
Im from Tenn. Were front plates are not required. My question is when you get your tags or get them renewed for states with both. Do you pay for one tag or do You pay for 2 tags. Here in Tenn. Its $24 a year for tags. Unless you buy specialized tags with your name or something different than regular issued tags & I think they are $34 or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.