U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 07:35 PM

12,700 posts, read 10,548,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
Red light cameras in New Mexico fine you just the same without any front plates. Albuquerque eventually did away with their red light cameras.
New Jersey is getting rid of them too. They're more dangerous than not, they've caused more accidents than there used to be here.

Front plates are absolutely better for security, not just for civilians but cops. It's easier to identity a car when it has two plates. Like I said, when I see a car pass me on the other side of the road with no front plate, I get curious to see what state the person's from. Oftentimes when I try to check the back plate in my rear view mirror, I either can't see the back plate because it's too far/too small or another car is now blocking it. It definitely helps to have front license plates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 10:37 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,146,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
New Jersey is getting rid of them too. They're more dangerous than not, they've caused more accidents than there used to be here.

Front plates are absolutely better for security, not just for civilians but cops. It's easier to identity a car when it has two plates. Like I said, when I see a car pass me on the other side of the road with no front plate, I get curious to see what state the person's from. Oftentimes when I try to check the back plate in my rear view mirror, I either can't see the back plate because it's too far/too small or another car is now blocking it. It definitely helps to have front license plates.
In CO Springs we had red light cameras for less than 6 months. The police stated they did nothing to improve safety and cost more to maintain and produce fines than they were worth. That could be bull, the real reason is that this town is too Libertarian to tolerate them. The city had to find an excuse to justify removal. Denver still has them.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:18 PM

11,189 posts, read 22,415,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

Yes, should be fairly common sense that it's better for identifying. I'm surprised some people are so against the front plates or act like it's some civil rights infringement. It's a tag identifying your car.

63% of US states with over 2/3 of the population require a front plate. It's more a question of why don't some than why do others.

The states that don't require one are mostly all grouped together in the southeast, and then New Mexico, Arizona, Michigan, Indiana, Kansas, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Delaware.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:21 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,603,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
The states that don't require one are mostly all grouped together in the southeast, and then New Mexico, Arizona, Michigan, Indiana, Kansas, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Delaware.
What has increased identification every helped me? It only has cost me, so why should I support something that takes money out of my wallet

Old 03-17-2015, 12:29 PM

12,700 posts, read 10,548,522 times
Quote:
Yes, should be fairly common sense that it's better for identifying. I'm surprised some people are so against the front plates or act like it's some civil rights infringement. It's a tag identifying your car.

63% of US states with over 2/3 of the population require a front plate. It's more a question of why don't some than why do others.

I'm surprised too. Again especially considering those states are not only the minority in the country but the world. Most countries require front plates as well, it's common sense like you said.

I always know who a Pennsylvanian is when I see them driving in this area because they never have front plates. 95% of the time it's a Pennsylvanian and not a different out of stater. So I guess depending on the situation it does make identification easy

Then again they identity themselves regardless of license plates by going 50 in the left lane and refusing to move...

Old 03-17-2015, 12:29 PM

11,189 posts, read 22,415,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
What has increased identification every helped me? It only has cost me, so why should I support something that takes money out of my wallet
I've lived in areas that have had front plates and found a really awesome way of it not costing me money. I don't do illegal things and get pulled over. You make it sound like life is a game of trying to get away with things. Kinda sucks for the rest of society.

Anyway......I highly doubt the difference in front and rear plates is going to make it or break it as far as paying fines or getting pulled over.

No reason not to have the tag on both ends if it can come in handy at some point in being able to identify a car that needs to be found.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:

No reason not to have the tag on both ends if it can come in handy at some point in being able to identify a car that needs to be found.
If it comes to decision in the voting booth, I will veto it every single time.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:47 PM

5,720 posts, read 3,673,850 times
Quote:
Anytime a criminal is apprehended, every law-abiding member of society is helped. And since having two means of identification on a vehicle should (at least in theory) make that vehicle easier to identify than if it had only one, it should stand to reason that making vehicles that are being used by criminals easier to identify should result in a greater number of apprehensions. (I would love to see data from the one-plate and two-plate states to confirm or refute this hypothesis.) Assuming that this holds true, then two license plates per vehicle are better than one.

In any case, it does not necessarily follow that two plates are more expensive to Joe Citizen than one. Only a tiny portion of your registration fees cover the actual cost of manufacturing and distributing the license plates themselves, so going from two plates to one would drop your fees by only a couple of dollars at most. Another portion goes to administrative costs, and the rest goes to fatten the state's coffers.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Assuming that this holds true, then two license plates per vehicle are better than one.
Why stop at 2? Going by this logic we might as well add license plates on the sides, you know to identify people even easier

Old 03-17-2015, 01:40 PM

5,720 posts, read 3,673,850 times
Quote:
Why stop at 2? Going by this logic we might as well add license plates on the sides, you know to identify people even easier
I assume you're being facetious, but you are absolutely correct. As to why we don't . . . trade-offs, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.