U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 03:52 PM

1,036 posts, read 786,996 times

Advertisements

According to :
ODPS | BMV | Fees for Services

Replace/Exchange one Ohio plate: $10.50
Replace/Exchange two Ohio plates: $11.75

So the second plate costs $1.25.

Ohio is one of the cheapest state to register a vehicle, because there is no personal property tax on the vehicle. Unless you live in the Akron/Cleveland area, there is no E-Check. Vehicle safety inspection is not required either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 12:55 PM

25,329 posts, read 41,430,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
Why do some states still have frontal license plates? Is it really necessary? Seems like doing away with them would be one way the state could save a few bucks. Although I suppose it wouldn't be a significant amount.
I don't know why. Of course it is not really necessary. There are 31 states and Washington, D.C., which require a front license plate.

I like the idea of a single plate. But I still use a custom personal plate on the front.

Interesting article on the issue: https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/1...icense-plates/

Old 03-18-2015, 01:04 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,598,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I don't know why. Of course it is not really necessary. There are 31 states and Washington, D.C., which require a front license plate.

I like the idea of a single plate. But I still use a custom personal plate on the front.

Interesting article on the issue: https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/1...icense-plates/
Straight from the horses mouth:

Quote:
For example, in Colorado (a two-plate state) on the E-470 tollway around the Denver area tolls are collected electronically. One-third of the revenue collected in a 12-month period $23 million came from the ability to capture information from front license plates.
So there you go, front plates do make it easier to fine you, on toll roads, red light cameras and so on.

And yet people here argue for the option to be fined? Amazing to me

Old 03-18-2015, 07:29 PM

570 posts, read 801,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

It seems from the article, the laws to change from two plates to one plate (or vice versa) seldom change. You're better off moving to a one-plate state (or two-plate state, if you prefer) than waiting for the law to change where you live.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,269 times
I do have to chime in here to make some corrections and whatnot. In CA Specifically, Front plates are required for both Law and Parking enforcement. In PA there actually IS a requirement for 2 plates, however the 2 plate requirement is limited to Emergency Vehicles and News Reporters.

In MN 2 plates are required on passenger vehicles UNLESS:

It is a scooter, motorcycle, Trailer, or Dealer plate.
If a vehicle is registered in the "Collector" class.; If the vehicle is 1972 or older, Use of front plate is at decression of the registered owner

If the vehicle is a registered farm vehicle for the sole purpose of use for farming, It is only required to display a front plate

If the vehicle has a Appointed vehicle registration (such as a Semi) you are required to only display 1 plate on the front.

opting for 1 plate in MN only saves you $1.50. Standard issue plates cost $6 for two. On a qualified vehicle where you are allowed only 1 plate, the fee for a single plate is $4.50. Speciality plates are $10 for 2 and Vanity plates cost $100 onetime fee.

With that said now let's move on.

Not having a mount for a front plate is NO excuse in the 2 plate state law (Unless you Live in NV where you are not required to use the front plate if your car was never designed for one). The ONLY 2 plate state's where you can get away with NOT having the front plate is in Wisconsin and Utah where the law is simply NOT enforced. The need of 2 plates is mainly for law enforcement. The states that only have one plate, the police HATE it but there isn't much they can do about it so they degress and come up with ways to check plates.

Last edited by LeoTheLion89; 03-22-2015 at 12:46 PM..

Old 03-22-2015, 09:17 PM

12,684 posts, read 10,505,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoTheLion89 View Post
I do have to chime in here to make some corrections and whatnot. In CA Specifically, Front plates are required for both Law and Parking enforcement. In PA there actually IS a requirement for 2 plates, however the 2 plate requirement is limited to Emergency Vehicles and News Reporters.

In MN 2 plates are required on passenger vehicles UNLESS:

It is a scooter, motorcycle, Trailer, or Dealer plate.
If a vehicle is registered in the "Collector" class.; If the vehicle is 1972 or older, Use of front plate is at decression of the registered owner

If the vehicle is a registered farm vehicle for the sole purpose of use for farming, It is only required to display a front plate

If the vehicle has a Appointed vehicle registration (such as a Semi) you are required to only display 1 plate on the front.

opting for 1 plate in MN only saves you $1.50. Standard issue plates cost $6 for two. On a qualified vehicle where you are allowed only 1 plate, the fee for a single plate is $4.50. Speciality plates are $10 for 2 and Vanity plates cost $100 onetime fee.

With that said now let's move on.

Not having a mount for a front plate is NO excuse in the 2 plate state law (Unless you Live in NV where you are not required to use the front plate if your car was never designed for one). The ONLY 2 plate state's where you can get away with NOT having the front plate is in Wisconsin and Utah where the law is simply NOT enforced. The need of 2 plates is mainly for law enforcement. The states that only have one plate, the police HATE it but there isn't much they can do about it so they degress and come up with ways to check plates.
Exactly. Proves it's easier to check cars with two plates (duh - should be obvious). The only reason someone should have a problem with having two plates because it's easier for cops to identity your car is if they're hiding something and don't WANT the cops to be able to easily run your plates or at least see them from front and back. I'm baffled that some are so adamantly against front plates. They must have something to hide, or like that cops or anyone else can't identify their car from the front.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:55 PM

3 posts, read 4,269 times
I should also add the in NV the plate law simply isnt enforce as well so many residents remove the factory plate bracket and display only a rear plate

Old 05-04-2015, 05:46 PM

449 posts, read 340,628 times
Just bought a new sporty car. That stupid front license plate just doesn't fit into the design of the car. Plus the plate blocks airflow to the radiator. I'm not saying they're not needed but how about giving the car owner the choice of the European style or the clunky US one? The Euro plate is long and narrow and wouldn't block airflow or look terrible. After all, I paid for the car, not the state. I should have some input on what gets bolted to it. Some say it would save money but I don' buy that. They soak us for vehicle tags and registration but still the surface of many roads resemble the surface of the moon. What are they doing with all the money they collect?

Old 05-04-2015, 05:51 PM

93 posts, read 75,782 times
Glad you asked this!
I think it makes sense to have license plates in both places.

...but in Massachusetts I occasionally see cars with vanity front license plates and I've always wondered the backstory.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:44 AM

5,672 posts, read 3,647,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Bomb View Post
Just bought a new sporty car. That stupid front license plate just doesn't fit into the design of the car. Plus the plate blocks airflow to the radiator. I'm not saying they're not needed but how about giving the car owner the choice of the European style or the clunky US one? The Euro plate is long and narrow and wouldn't block airflow or look terrible. After all, I paid for the car, not the state. I should have some input on what gets bolted to it. Some say it would save money but I don' buy that. They soak us for vehicle tags and registration but still the surface of many roads resemble the surface of the moon. What are they doing with all the money they collect?
If your car never leaves your property, you can leave your front bumper plateless with impunity. But the state built the roads you drive on, and in return for allowing you the privilege of using them, they require certain things . . . including, in some states, the use of a front license plate.

That said, maybe introducing an optional European-style long and narrow plate would be a good compromise for those in situations like yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.