U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-07-2007, 03:45 PM
 
Location: VA
786 posts, read 4,322,644 times
Reputation: 1122

Advertisements

And if that guy you mentioned couldn't get hired, even with experience at McDonald's, there's something you're not telling us (or aren't aware of)... I'm sure if I walked into McDonald's they'd hire me, no matter how many immigrants were waiting for applications.
------------------------------------------------------
No, there is not a catch to the story. He is a good applicant with a job history that would make him an excellent candidate to work as a fast food worker. (He has experience and good refrences from McDonalds) There is no reason he will not be hired other than he is white, and everyone else is Hispanic and Spanish speaking.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-07-2007, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Deep In The Heat Of Texas
2,639 posts, read 2,464,683 times
Reputation: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
Gross. Those aren't college degree jobs. You don't spend tens of thousands to live like that and you can't afford even an apartment or a car on the salary. You can't live on 5.15 an hour unless you have public transportation and can spend 500 or less on an apartment a month.

Gross ~ Hmmm, not a good word. The poster said jobs were hard to find and college degrees don't automatically land you a top-notch job. You have to be a top-notch person as well. College degree jobs can be snatched from you in the blink of an eye and college degrees don't guarantee that a person will do well on a job. Only the person makes the difference on how well he or she does with a minimum wage job or a high-paying one.

My daughter worked at McDonald's from the time she was 16 until she graduated from Baylor University at the age of 22. The reason she went to work in the first place is because I gave my children the option of going to work and paying for their vehicles, insurance, gas, and spending money or not working at the age of 16 and get tranported around by me, the school bus, or friends until they graduated from high school. Of course, I also told them they could use my car when I didn't need it.

My kids chose work and my daughter stuck with McD's because they gave her tons of hours and worked around her college schedule. She worked her way up to shift manager. Was she exhausted? You bet she was. She worked all hours of the night and on the weekends, all hours, day or night. She even worked an on-campus job in addition to McD's.

She went on to get her Master's degree at Dallas Baptist University at night and all the while, she worked all day at Lewisville I.S.D. She received her Master's in 1998.

Like Dingler, she learned ever so much working at a fast food place. She learned about people ~~ the rotten, the forlorn, the uneducated, the educated, the stupid, the bright, the impatient, the patient, the condescending, the phonies, the lazy, the conscientious, the shallow, the narrow-minded, and on and on.

I'll never forget the day she told me one guy was really rude to her. He just kept acting like a jerk and somehow the Baylor name was brought into the conversation. He immediately changed is tune, was polite, asked her tons of questions about her education, etc. Just goes to show you the phoniness of people. At first, she just worked at McD's but this fool then found out about Baylor, a private and well-known university, and she was then "something special" is his shallow mind. How sad for him!!

McD's was a true learning experience for her, and she doesn't regret it. She is very secure in herself not to care about what the snooty rich at Baylor thought about her as she piled into her car dressed in her uniform.

Sorry I rambled so, but she is the greatest.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2007, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,038 posts, read 45,071,356 times
Reputation: 20425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
No, there is not a catch to the story. He is a good applicant with a job history that would make him an excellent candidate to work as a fast food worker. (He has experience and good refrences from McDonalds) There is no reason he will not be hired other than he is white, and everyone else is Hispanic and Spanish speaking.
Somehow I find that hard to believe... I don't care where you live, an employer will always prefer somebody with experience and English-speaking skills. My area is primarily Asian and Hispanic, and even here that just wouldn't be the case. I'm not saying you're lying, but I think there's a missing piece to the story...

Not to mention, he could actually file a lawsuit, if the ONLY reason he wasn't hired was due to his skin color.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2007, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,038 posts, read 45,071,356 times
Reputation: 20425
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Gross ~ Hmmm, not a good word. The poster said jobs were hard to find and college degrees don't automatically land you a top-notch job. You have to be a top-notch person as well. College degree jobs can be snatched from you in the blink of an eye and college degrees don't guarantee that a person will do well on a job. Only the person makes the difference on how well he or she does with a minimum wage job or a high-paying one.

My daughter worked at McDonald's from the time she was 16 until she graduated from Baylor University at the age of 22. The reason she went to work in the first place is because I gave my children the option of going to work and paying for their vehicles, insurance, gas, and spending money or not working at the age of 16 and get tranported around by me, the school bus, or friends until they graduated from high school. Of course, I also told them they could use my car when I didn't need it.

My kids chose work and my daughter stuck with McD's because they gave her tons of hours and worked around her college schedule. She worked her way up to shift manager. Was she exhausted? You bet she was. She worked all hours of the night and on the weekends, all hours, day or night. She even worked an on-campus job in addition to McD's.

She went on to get her Master's degree at Dallas Baptist University at night and all the while, she worked all day at Lewisville I.S.D. She received her Master's in 1998.

Like Dingler, she learned ever so much working at a fast food place. She learned about people ~~ the rotten, the forlorn, the uneducated, the educated, the stupid, the bright, the impatient, the patient, the condescending, the phonies, the lazy, the conscientious, the shallow, the narrow-minded, and on and on.

I'll never forget the day she told me one guy was really rude to her. He just kept acting like a jerk and somehow the Baylor name was brought into the conversation. He immediately changed is tune, was polite, asked her tons of questions about her education, etc. Just goes to show you the phoniness of people. At first, she just worked at McD's but this fool then found out about Baylor, a private and well-known university, and she was then "something special" is his shallow mind. How sad for him!!

McD's was a true learning experience for her, and she doesn't regret it. She is very secure in herself not to care about what the snooty rich at Baylor thought about her as she piled into her car dressed in her uniform.

Sorry I rambled so, but she is the greatest.
Sounds like she is! I had similar experiences to hers, while working a "menial" pizza job in college... I delivered pizzas through most of college for extra money, and was often treated like a peon by customers. But if I mentioned I was a student at UOP (Univ. of the Pacific, which is very well-respected in that town), they'd suddenly change their whole demeanor. Usually I wouldn't mention this, simply to see how rude they could get.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2007, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Deep In The Heat Of Texas
2,639 posts, read 2,464,683 times
Reputation: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Sounds like she is! I had similar experiences to hers, while working a "menial" pizza job in college... I delivered pizzas through most of college for extra money, and was often treated like a peon by customers. But if I mentioned I was a student at UOP (Univ. of the Pacific, which is very well-respected in that town), they'd suddenly change their whole demeanor. Usually I wouldn't mention this, simply to see how rude they could get.
Yes, it sounds like you did have similar experiences. Aren't humans just a riot, an entertainment of sort? Thanks for your post.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2007, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,237 posts, read 67,399,655 times
Reputation: 15881
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Sounds like she is! I had similar experiences to hers, while working a "menial" pizza job in college... I delivered pizzas through most of college for extra money, and was often treated like a peon by customers. But if I mentioned I was a student at UOP (Univ. of the Pacific, which is very well-respected in that town), they'd suddenly change their whole demeanor. Usually I wouldn't mention this, simply to see how rude they could get.
The same happens to me at Lowe's. I could have someone being the rudest pain in the neck you could imagine the entire time while I load up a cart for them, bring them up to the register, and head out to their car, but if I get to their car and see a "King's College" license plate or window decal and comment that I also attend there, they're tune changes completely. Why? Was I just some uneducated retail peon before they discovered I was attending the best business school in the region?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2007, 08:22 PM
 
5,859 posts, read 14,063,505 times
Reputation: 3486
Here in my neighborhood in Mpls/St Paul it depends on the place. My neighborhood's mostly Euro-American. At Chiplotle, virtually all of the workers are Hispanic. At the Asian restaurants, mostly Asians. At KFC, about 50/50 black and white. At Noodles & Co it's mostly white. At Lee Ann Chin, it's mostly white with several Asians. At the coffee shops, it's virtually all white kids.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2007, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Portland, OR
414 posts, read 2,417,340 times
Reputation: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Gross ~ Hmmm, not a good word. The poster said jobs were hard to find and college degrees don't automatically land you a top-notch job. You have to be a top-notch person as well. College degree jobs can be snatched from you in the blink of an eye and college degrees don't guarantee that a person will do well on a job. Only the person makes the difference on how well he or she does with a minimum wage job or a high-paying one.

My daughter worked at McDonald's from the time she was 16 until she graduated from Baylor University at the age of 22. The reason she went to work in the first place is because I gave my children the option of going to work and paying for their vehicles, insurance, gas, and spending money or not working at the age of 16 and get tranported around by me, the school bus, or friends until they graduated from high school. Of course, I also told them they could use my car when I didn't need it.

My kids chose work and my daughter stuck with McD's because they gave her tons of hours and worked around her college schedule. She worked her way up to shift manager. Was she exhausted? You bet she was. She worked all hours of the night and on the weekends, all hours, day or night. She even worked an on-campus job in addition to McD's.

She went on to get her Master's degree at Dallas Baptist University at night and all the while, she worked all day at Lewisville I.S.D. She received her Master's in 1998.

Like Dingler, she learned ever so much working at a fast food place. She learned about people ~~ the rotten, the forlorn, the uneducated, the educated, the stupid, the bright, the impatient, the patient, the condescending, the phonies, the lazy, the conscientious, the shallow, the narrow-minded, and on and on.

I'll never forget the day she told me one guy was really rude to her. He just kept acting like a jerk and somehow the Baylor name was brought into the conversation. He immediately changed is tune, was polite, asked her tons of questions about her education, etc. Just goes to show you the phoniness of people. At first, she just worked at McD's but this fool then found out about Baylor, a private and well-known university, and she was then "something special" is his shallow mind. How sad for him!!

McD's was a true learning experience for her, and she doesn't regret it. She is very secure in herself not to care about what the snooty rich at Baylor thought about her as she piled into her car dressed in her uniform.

Sorry I rambled so, but she is the greatest.
I agree that it is a great formative job, teaches you work ethic, humility, and working with other people. I have done some similar things in college although I have been lucky to get a relatively high paying position as a legal assistant for a local law firm.

What I mean more to say is this going to a great school like Baylor and having a 3.5 gpa etc that a business degree should get you more than a job at McDonalds when you graduate. I mean this isnt a cutthroat third world country where its all or nothing. Kids aren't going to get the best jobs when they first get out but they shouldn't be starving and living with mom and dad for ten years either. There should be a happy medium.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2007, 11:07 PM
 
Location: Coachella Valley, California
15,564 posts, read 36,585,553 times
Reputation: 13184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
The same happens to me at Lowe's. I could have someone being the rudest pain in the neck you could imagine the entire time while I load up a cart for them, bring them up to the register, and head out to their car, but if I get to their car and see a "King's College" license plate or window decal and comment that I also attend there, they're tune changes completely. Why? Was I just some uneducated retail peon before they discovered I was attending the best business school in the region?
My mom works at a Lowes in CA and deals with very rude people all day long too. So when we get together and she talks about work, she gets so bitter and angry and I'm like "Whoa - time out - take a deep breath and just breathe ..." I hate it when people are rude to retail workers and others they may deem less than themselves.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2007, 11:26 PM
 
Location: Midwest
1,903 posts, read 7,285,888 times
Reputation: 464
My rule of thumb is that you can tell the nature of a place by how clean and managed the fast food restaurants are, and yes, by the racial component of the staff workers. It's my little social science observational data: who owns and operates the restaurants, and whom do they hire and how do they train them?
If you are in a white upper middle class suburb and the staff are all Black people from a nearby city or Hispanic immigrants ... don't you wonder how and why that is? Someone is making these decisions.

I have been into a lot of well-run Chicagoland McDonalds with excellent Hispanic staff. I have also been into way too many Burger Kings in the Midwest with either white trash or ghetto "appeal" ... yuck.
I recently went into a BK in Joliet ... next time, I'll just go to McDs.

I used to dine at BK exclusively for fast food, with some Wendys on the side. Learned my lesson!
Very poor management all around, no wonder the McDonalds Corporation is doing well and the others are floundering.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top