Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 07:10 AM

786 posts, read 4,733,123 times

Advertisements

I have read thousands of postings on this great message board and there seems to be a common thread in many if not most of the postings. That being.... that many Americans have become unfriendly, cold, distant and aloof.

Is this your experience? It is mine. I find that people seem to have more walls around them and are more likely to be guarded and cold unless you can prove to people that you are OK. Neighbors are unfriendly. People do not know the people they sit next to at work or even their next door neighbors name. Rude treatment is encouraged by the mass media and the bad in people is brought out instead of their good.

I find in my experience that being friendly to people will make them even more unfriendly because I come off as needy. In the good old days, if someone was nice people would be nice back. This is no longer the case.

Is this unfriendly culture still true all over the country or only in the urban areas of the Northeast?

Last edited by Dingler; 05-07-2007 at 07:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 07:18 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
I haven't found this to be the case in upstate NY. Even when I visit NYC I don't find as much of it as you might suppose.

It has a lot to do with your own actions. If you talk to people and are friendly chances are many will talk to you gladly.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:34 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I haven't found this to be the case in upstate NY. Even when I visit NYC I don't find as much of it as you might suppose.

It has a lot to do with your own actions. If you talk to people and are friendly chances are many will talk to you gladly.
I agree. I haven't found this where I live/work and I live in arguably one of the "rudest" states in the nation. I live in a development of 57 houses - and know every single person in each one, and do things on a regular basis with many of them.

I've posted before that I also find people in NYC significantly friendlier than say, 20 years ago.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:39 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,229 times
I run into people all the time. We exchange "good mornings", "how are you", "have a great day" etc. Smile ..... I've never met a rude person.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:55 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Dingie, you must have visited the San Antonio forum!

Old 05-07-2007, 11:48 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times
I'm from Texas...I can get anyone to open up and be friendly...
I live in Florida now and even the yankees that move down here pick up the friendliness, I think its infectious...I go out of my way to be friendly and people usually respond in kind.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:52 PM

Yeah, but have you checked the SA forums???

Old 05-07-2007, 01:36 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Smile Turn that frown upside down!

We all have our good days and our bad days. I myself am an extremely friendly, cheery, happy-go-lucky geek, but a lot of people on this forum probably have very negative impressions from me now after I went on my anti-Hummer rant in a couple of threads concerning the skyrocketing price of gasoline in relation to their higher demand driving up prices for the rest of us.

I think most people on this forum are actually quite helpful and great examples of what everyone should strive to become. Unfortunately, we're a dysfunctional mix of liberals and conservatives, so of course we're going to clash every now and then. WeLuvPA and I clash over politics in our city. SpeedyAZ and I clashed a bit when I hit a nerve with him for driving a Yukon in my anti-Hummer rant. I've clashed with others concerning the psychological influences upon sexual orientation on some of the political threads. The moderators clashed when me when I went "off the rails on the crazy train" and posted my "Farewell" message a couple of months ago. Families forgive each other for their differences, just like we all inevitably forgive each other for our disagreements as well.

Group hug! Awwwww!!! Group make-out session? (Uh-oh! Looks like the "Sexual Tensions" thread will be making a comeback!) LOL! As the B-52's, one of my favorite bands, would sing "Shiny, happy people holding hands!"

Old 05-07-2007, 01:38 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Yeah, but have you checked the SA forums???
They can't be any worse than the Scranton-dominated PA forum, where the pro-city and anti-city crowds comprise roughly equal numbers and love to take rounds at one another.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:43 PM

I am a HUGE B-52's fan too!!! I have Sirius radio and I just love it. In fact I'm addicted to it because all the music on First Wave is so good that I have to listen to see what the next song is! Not to mention, the DJ's are the same DJ's I used to listen to on KROQ in Los Angeles in the 80's. Man, I am being taken back to my youth big time and loving it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.