U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 06:47 AM

8,920 posts, read 13,673,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
A form of rehablitation, not publishment.
I hate when I notice typos after it's too late to correct it. I'm sure you all know what I meant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 07:33 AM

34,692 posts, read 33,704,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Ho View Post
If I was President (not that I'm ever planning to be) I'd mandate a law that if a gang member is arrested for a crime their sentence wouldn't be jail, it'd be to serve on the front line of whatever conflict we may be in at that time.

Anyone convicted of murder, rape, crimes against a child, hard-core drug dealing, or gang activity should be made to fight on the front line. I guarantee they'd beg to be back in prison..
Why should the military be saddled with them?

Old 10-10-2009, 08:03 AM

23,112 posts, read 35,061,639 times
I think it starts with housing stock. In Atlanta, high crime areas seem to correlate with a high concentration of apartment complexes that were built 30-40 years ago. As the buildings become older, the rents drop as the original tenants abandon them for greener pastures. This provides for easy entry for a different element.
There are numerous examples of Atlanta area corridors that were once considered solid areas that have experienced decline for this reason: Buford Hwy., Memorial Drive (Stone Mountain), Roswell Rd. (Sandy Springs), Cobb Pkwy. (Smyrna/Marietta), Franklin Rd. (Marietta), Jimmy Carter Blvd. (Norcross), Tara Blvd. (Jonesboro).
This was recognized by the residents of the Atlanta suburb of Dunwoody, who became alarmed when DeKalb County started rubber-stamping building permits for apartment developers. Not wanting to experience the problems of neighboring Sandy Springs, they made this a core issue of their campaign for cityhood. Upon becoming a city, they immediately imposed a moritorium on apartment construction.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:56 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,119,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
But they could be used in clearing for mine fields with their feet, dismanteling IUDs, or be used as ambush detectors. Nothing that requires a gun.
IUD dismanteling will require the assistance of a licenced GYN!

Old 10-10-2009, 10:02 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,691,036 times
It's happening all across camera right now. As cities are beginning to tear down its inner city projects; the poor and bad are moving out to different areas (particularly suburbs) and crime is slowly rising in these new areas many people have congregated to.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:13 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,026,385 times
The minute someone breaks a window and nobody repairs it

Old 10-10-2009, 10:28 AM

23,112 posts, read 35,061,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
The minute someone breaks a window and nobody repairs it
Simple, yet profound.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:26 AM

15,523 posts, read 17,750,904 times
Yeah, put these guys in the military and when they get out you will have a bunch of trained mass-murderers facing the same troubles our normal soldiers face when they get home.

ABQConvict

Old 10-10-2009, 03:55 PM

247 posts, read 336,634 times
I said put them on the front lines. What makes you think they'd be coming home? When I said "think Escape from LA" (it was a movie) ... I guess no one got that?

Drop them off. Leave them there. They don't come back. Yeah, it sounds harsh I know but it's a sentence that they deserve if they've raped someone, harmed a child, murdered someone, etc. These types of deviants are not human beings deserving of compassion, they are animals.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 29 days ago)

9,844 posts, read 21,150,344 times
Aside from the social causes, it often starts when a neighborhood's housing stock is not as desirable - maybe the styles are outdated or it now lies downwind of a factory, etc. As housing values fall the area becomes mostly rental, absentee land lords further run out good people. This happened at the first house I lived in here in Lexington: the family moved to a new house and rented it out to a drunk who was stealing stuff from our back yard. W/i several months my family moved to a better area.

I've noticed that a street with spectacular architecture will often maintain upper middle class status if the area as a whole goes downhill - examples near me include St James Court in Louisville and Gratz Park in Lexington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or