U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2009, 06:50 AM

152 posts, read 177,263 times

Advertisements

my question is : How much of one state are native from that state ? I mean their grand parents were in that state (not other state) in for example in 1900 ?

or if I ask my question more clear : for example in 2100 how many of for example Kentucky people's grand parents are now in Kentucky ? (did u got it ?!!?!!)
I know that it was about 11 million each both in and out-migration by US domestic migration between 1995-2000 .
and who are that moving people ?

and if you let me to take an example I say that if for example if in year 2000 Virginia was 100% pure Virginian and WV was 100% West Virginan and if New York was 100% NY ean and etc. (I don't mean exactly that Stats I mean neighbor states ) then in 2100 how much of non metro Areas of for example WV will be native West Virginian ? (if there will be no foreign immigrant )maybe 90% or less ? do domestic migration took a big effect on that ?

I know it is hard to answer my question but just tell my what u think . If u tell my your idea it doesn't matter to me if it is wrong .

Last edited by diako_lorddm; 10-10-2009 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 07:11 AM

13,856 posts, read 23,394,704 times
Maps: Migration Flows in the United States - Pew Social & Demographic Trends

However it doesn't really tell you in terms of generational rootedness. Still the ones that are "high sticky, low magnet" might fit anyway, particularly if they've been states for quite awhile.

So Pennsylvania might be one possibility. It's one of the original 13 colonies and listed as "high sticky" (meaning percent of people born in state who stayed there) and low magnet. (Meaning the percentage moving in state is low) Ohio could also be a possibility going by that as it's been considered a state for over two centuries. Both Pennnsylvania and Ohio contain many Amish and although they've spread out many of them are fairly rooted.

My own guess would have been Louisiana. It fits the "high sticky, low magnet" deal so I could've mentioned it earlier. However also remember it has a high number of towns or cities on "people born in state" lists here. In some cases over 90% of certain Louisiana towns people were born in Louisiana. Of cities Lafayette, Louisiana looks fairly "rooted" or of in-state people.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/h165.html
http://www.city-data.com/top2/h166.html

However I was also thinking how it has many cultures that are considered to be somewhat unique or symbolic of the state and set-in to some degree. Like the Cajuns and Creoles.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 10-10-2009 at 07:19 AM..

Old 10-10-2009, 08:08 AM

6,749 posts, read 20,176,961 times
I am one of the Kentucky people who have been rooted here since the 1700's

Old 10-10-2009, 08:15 AM

12,083 posts, read 34,724,504 times
I've moved around the Country over the years, but am back in the town I was born in and the Family has lived in/around for 7 generations.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:31 AM

35,213 posts, read 34,479,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Maps: Migration Flows in the United States - Pew Social & Demographic Trends

However it doesn't really tell you in terms of generational rootedness. Still the ones that are "high sticky, low magnet" might fit anyway, particularly if they've been states for quite awhile.

So Pennsylvania might be one possibility. It's one of the original 13 colonies and listed as "high sticky" (meaning percent of people born in state who stayed there) and low magnet. (Meaning the percentage moving in state is low) Ohio could also be a possibility going by that as it's been considered a state for over two centuries. Both Pennnsylvania and Ohio contain many Amish and although they've spread out many of them are fairly rooted.

My own guess would have been Louisiana. It fits the "high sticky, low magnet" deal so I could've mentioned it earlier. However also remember it has a high number of towns or cities on "people born in state" lists here. In some cases over 90% of certain Louisiana towns people were born in Louisiana. Of cities Lafayette, Louisiana looks fairly "rooted" or of in-state people.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/h165.html
http://www.city-data.com/top2/h166.html

However I was also thinking how it has many cultures that are considered to be somewhat unique or symbolic of the state and set-in to some degree. Like the Cajuns and Creoles.
Shouldn't the two City Data Links pages not be "The Most People" but "The Highest Percentage of People?" In other words CD labeled the lists wrong. The lists are in the order of percentages high to low not number of people high to low.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:48 AM

13,856 posts, read 23,394,704 times
You have a point, but I don't know how you fix things on that end. Even if that end is what drew me to the site. (I'm not sure I knew it had a forum until much later and initially had no interest in joining the forum)

Old 10-10-2009, 12:53 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,228,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diako_lorddm View Post
my question is : How much of one state are native from that state ? I mean their grand parents were in that state (not other state) in for example in 1900 ?

or if I ask my question more clear : for example in 2100 how many of for example Kentucky people's grand parents are now in Kentucky ? (did u got it ?!!?!!)
I know that it was about 11 million each both in and out-migration by US domestic migration between 1995-2000 .
and who are that moving people ?

and if you let me to take an example I say that if for example if in year 2000 Virginia was 100% pure Virginian and WV was 100% West Virginan and if New York was 100% NY ean and etc. (I don't mean exactly that Stats I mean neighbor states ) then in 2100 how much of non metro Areas of for example WV will be native West Virginian ? (if there will be no foreign immigrant )maybe 90% or less ? do domestic migration took a big effect on that ?

I know it is hard to answer my question but just tell my what u think . If u tell my your idea it doesn't matter to me if it is wrong .
My grandparents weren't even alive in 1900. I am sure there are others on here like that too.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:30 PM

152 posts, read 177,263 times
very funny ***
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.