U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 03:23 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,091,578 times

Advertisements

Hunting in New York is great and it is not just upstate. I have had Yonkers venison.

For those who don't know, Yonkers is a large, fairly densely populated city in the NYC metro that borders the Bronx.

ABQConvict
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 10:30 PM

2,416 posts, read 4,093,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I can't answer for Grapico; but from the people I know who are either vegetarians or vegans, a lot of them are also "animal rights" activists who really don't study, or know what good animal husbandry entails and how a hunt is a good way to cull the numbers so a vast majority of the animals make it year to year. I have had several of them tell me they would rather see an animal starve to death in the winter instead of being hunted because starving is "natural". None of them had ever came across an animal in the wild that is in the process of starving to death, or one that has died of starvation. I have seen both cases and it is NOT a humane way to die for an animal. At least in 90% of the hunting I have done and seen, the kill is clean, quick and the animal didn't even know the hunter was there. Fishing is along the same lines. It is a way to try and manage the fishery so that the fish species that are there now, are still there when our kids and grandkids go to the lake in the future.

The majority of vegetarians and vegans I know understand hunting and fishing, and it is just a way they believe is healthier to live.

I have to add that not all hunters or fishermen respect the animals, and the few who don't, give the vast majority of us that do a bad name.
Agreed. And may I add that hunting is natural for humans and predators to do. Ever since the beginning of time, man has hunted and fished. It is not something that we toss away just because some modern day folks don't like it. Frankly I could become a vegetarian and it would probably be better for me and others as well. I enjoy meat.

The conservation departments of the state and federal levels(and the hunters and fishermen themselves) have done an excellent job at insuring fish and land animals stay at plentiful levels. Most hunters I know are pretty well in touch with the problems of over hunting and lawbreakers. They realize that to safeguard game and fish, you have to be ethical about the preservation of quality game and fish reserves. Yeah there are some yayhoos out there unfortuanately who abuse others and break laws. Just like anything else.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:01 AM

5,823 posts, read 11,660,596 times
Most everybody I know here hunts, but we're borderline south. Still, hunting seems to be pretty popular over most of the state.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:10 AM

25,156 posts, read 27,044,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthwriter View Post
I'm curious, why do you believe that hunters and fishermen have more respect for animals than the vegetarians and vegans do?
If you don't eat meat, that's totally cool by me. But militant vegans and vegetarians have a shallow kind of piety, that's why, formed without a true understanding of ecosystems.

For example, if you don't have deer hunting to thin the population, you get extraordinary overpopulation in a short period of time--resulting in starving deer. What's more, vegetarians and vegans who rail against hunting never think for a second about how much crop damage deer can cause to crops--you know, the only sustenance for vegans and vegetarians.

As far as where hunting takes place? About 20 miles outside any major metropolitan area in the country.

Last edited by cpg35223; 10-12-2009 at 11:38 AM..

Old 10-12-2009, 11:16 AM

5,262 posts, read 7,703,267 times
Fishing is pretty popular in NJ on the coast.
Hunting in NJ is common (Deer, Bear, Turkey) , but not as common as most states.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:01 PM

38,753 posts, read 38,621,700 times
Seems to me like white people don't fish anymore. From the shore anyway, but maybe more white people fish out in boats. I think of the last 100 people Ive seen fishing, 95 of them must have been black. (Quick---be the first in your PC patrol to call me a racist.)

Old 10-12-2009, 04:04 PM

5,357 posts, read 6,181,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Most everybody I know here hunts, but we're borderline south. Still, hunting seems to be pretty popular over most of the state.
Missouri has a huge bubba/redneck base. Outside of KC and StL it is pure Redstate America. You would expect to find a lot of hunting and fishing around here.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:31 PM

12,138 posts, read 22,079,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Seems to me like white people don't fish anymore. From the shore anyway, but maybe more white people fish out in boats. I think of the last 100 people Ive seen fishing, 95 of them must have been black. (Quick---be the first in your PC patrol to call me a racist.)
Could just be the area you are in also. Where I am 90% of the people you see fishing from either shore or in boats are white. Then again 90% of this area IS white, so that makes sense. I fish all the time and I'm so damn white I glow just about .

Old 10-12-2009, 04:49 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,091,578 times
In NYC, most people you see fishing from shore or piers are black or hispanic, but if you go to any lakes in the region, even close places like Westchester, or along the shore further out on Long Island, most of the people are white. I think it is just simple demographics.

Where there are a lot of Black people, most fishermen are black.

Where there are a lot of White people, most fishermen are white.

See where I am going with this? Why's it always gotta be a race thing?

Now who is going to be the first in the PC-brigade to chastise me for saying 'fishermen' instead of 'fisherpeople'?

ABQConvict

Old 10-12-2009, 04:54 PM

13,856 posts, read 13,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I won't call you a racist. If that's your experience of your region that's your experience. However I've certainly known many white people who fish. Oddly I'm not sure I've known any black people who fished. (I live in a mostly white state though)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.