U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 04:58 PM

8,976 posts, read 16,243,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Seems to me like white people don't fish anymore. From the shore anyway, but maybe more white people fish out in boats. I think of the last 100 people Ive seen fishing, 95 of them must have been black. (Quick---be the first in your PC patrol to call me a racist.)
I have noticed this too. I think part of it is black folks mostly fish from public areas, whereas whites usually have a boat or go to a private pond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 10:04 PM

2,955 posts, read 2,953,308 times
I live in michigan and I can say hunting is huge here. Some schools close for deer opener in Nov. I know that hunting is also big in the other midwest states too. Hunting is a tradition handed down from one generation to the next. If you dont like hunting and fishing, you would not like most of the midwest. The northeast probably has least amount of hunting of all the regions in the USA.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:30 AM

4,925 posts, read 6,221,532 times
I've lived in a lot of places, but mostly in the rural PNW and the rural South.

The hunting culture in Eastern WA and Eastern OR is much more prevalent in those areas of the PNW than in the areas of the rural South I've lived. It may be that there is quite a bit more hunting variety and as much fishing variety. I've known far and away more people in the PNW serious about it, and actively engaged in hunting, the shooting sports (target, silhouette, re-loading, etc.) than in the South. There is also a greater commercial presence revolving around these activities than you'll see in the South...far more stores, guides, etc.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:19 AM

12,138 posts, read 22,048,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I live in michigan and I can say hunting is huge here. Some schools close for deer opener in Nov. I know that hunting is also big in the other midwest states too. Hunting is a tradition handed down from one generation to the next. If you dont like hunting and fishing, you would not like most of the midwest. The northeast probably has least amount of hunting of all the regions in the USA.
Yep, I live in the Ludington area and schools close Nov. 15th for sure... Teacher "In-Service" day don't you know , just happens to fall on opening day every year. LOL

Hunting is HUGE is the Northeast as well. Lived in Maine for years and it is every bit as big there as it is here in MI.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:42 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,086,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
I've lived in a lot of places, but mostly in the rural PNW and the rural South.

The hunting culture in Eastern WA and Eastern OR is much more prevalent in those areas of the PNW than in the areas of the rural South I've lived. It may be that there is quite a bit more hunting variety and as much fishing variety. I've known far and away more people in the PNW serious about it, and actively engaged in hunting, the shooting sports (target, silhouette, re-loading, etc.) than in the South. There is also a greater commercial presence revolving around these activities than you'll see in the South...far more stores, guides, etc.
Have you ever been to Louisiana? I don't think you'll find a hunting culture as large as this one here. This state is relatively undeveloped with lots of game preserves and hunting leases. As I said earlier, people here live their lives around hunting season.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:43 PM

49,884 posts, read 46,991,044 times
80% of america live in urban areas, no hunting or fishing.
the rest of you are having the time of your life.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:25 PM

6,753 posts, read 14,781,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
80% of america live in urban areas, no hunting or fishing.
the rest of you are having the time of your life.
I know plenty of people who live in "urban" areas who also hunt and fish

Old 10-14-2009, 08:55 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,716,895 times
I forgot to add Ice Fishing is also huge here in Michigan.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:27 AM

444 posts, read 756,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Seems to me like white people don't fish anymore. From the shore anyway, but maybe more white people fish out in boats. I think of the last 100 people Ive seen fishing, 95 of them must have been black. (Quick---be the first in your PC patrol to call me a racist.)
You can't be serious!

Old 10-14-2009, 10:29 AM

444 posts, read 756,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I know plenty of people who live in "urban" areas who also hunt and fish
Me too! This must be the most pointless thread on CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.