Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 03:09 PM

55 posts, read 133,056 times

Advertisements

Are hunting and fishing mainly Southern rural USA or all over? My husband and I live in a rural region in Florida and it seems that hunting is very popular, especially during the popular hunting season. We've lived in and visited a few other rural regions in various parts of the Continental USA further North and South West and Pacific North West and we don't remember ever hearing the sounds of hunting or hearing discussions about the hunting activity anywhere near those regions. Perhaps we weren't there long enough to hear anything, but what we'd like to know is is this activity/custom/tradition, (sorry, I don't know the correct jargon, maybe it's all 3), a general rural custom that occurs throughout the Continental USA or is it less common in specific regions? We're asking this because we are vegetarian and animal lovers and we find this noise to be very unnerving and unsettling. We appreciate any feedback anyone has to share. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 03:12 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,495,298 times
everywhere...though it might be glorified a bit more in the south. I don't know many people that don't at least fish from time to time...Hunting deer and turkey is much less common in my experience.
I'm pretty sure it is a human custom in most of the world... not a continental u.s. thing.
I am sorry you got offended so much...often though people into this are much more into natural lifestyle and have respect for the animals than many vegetarians and vegans I have met.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:41 PM

398 posts, read 1,317,420 times
I am from the Pacific NW and hunting and fishing are HUGE there. The vegan/vegetarian population is also HUGE. For the most part, they peacefully coexist. I would suggest for you that you move to a more urban area if you want to avoid the hunters and fishers in action.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:47 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,070,158 times
Being surrounded by the Great Lakes and having many inland lakes around the state, Michigan is big on fishing and having a huge forest state, hunting is very popular as well in both Peninsulas. I don't know how many people travel to Michigan from other mid-west Boarder states.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:28 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,000,204 times
I used to get a crack out of the knuckle heads from Queens, come upstate (Hyde Park) to hunt, trespass on the neighbors farm and then wind up shooting a cow. Seemed to have happened every year.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:32 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I used to get a crack out of the knuckle heads from Queens, come upstate (Hyde Park) to hunt, trespass on the neighbors farm and then wind up shooting a cow. Seemed to have happened every year.
Bessie!

Old 10-10-2009, 04:55 PM

18,355 posts, read 26,479,237 times
Quite popular up here in Northern New England. No one cares here if you're a vegetarian or such, but talk about banning hunting or such here and you'd be run out of town (well maybe not, but you'd get people angry). Hunting is popular elsewhere too. Popular in the Midwest. Popular in the West. Quite common in Alaska (more people probably rely on it for subsistence there than everywhere else combined, hunting, fishing and trapping).

It's in fact bigger up here and out West than in the South I think. In the South, you often need a hunting lease to hunt. Up here there's much more public land and a tradition in New England (more in Northern New England these days) of allowing hunting on land without any money involved. Out West, lots of land to hunt.

Basically, it's everywhere in the U.S. and most of Canada. You probably weren't near those areas you visited during any popular hunting season, or simply weren't with people who hunt. You won't escape it unless you stay in dense cities. Just accept that and leave it alone.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:58 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,001 times
You might want to wear something like this when you're outside:

Old 10-10-2009, 05:45 PM

55 posts, read 133,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
everywhere...though it might be glorified a bit more in the south. I don't know many people that don't at least fish from time to time...Hunting deer and turkey is much less common in my experience.
I'm pretty sure it is a human custom in most of the world... not a continental u.s. thing.
I am sorry you got offended so much...often though people into this are much more into natural lifestyle and have respect for the animals than many vegetarians and vegans I have met.
I'm curious, why do you believe that hunters and fishermen have more respect for animals than the vegetarians and vegans do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.