U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: So have YOU heard of Wales ( A bit of fun )
Yes I've heard of Wales 49 85.96%
No where is that? Part of England? 0 0%
Oh I love Whales...they're beautiful 2 3.51%
What a lame thread! 6 10.53%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 02:54 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,484,655 times

Advertisements

Haha, I've heard of Wales. I'll admit, I don't know a great deal about it, but I have a general idea of it's location, culture, and history. Though, being a fan of David Mitchell and Robert Webb, I can't hear about Wales without thinking about this sketch:

YouTube - Primetime Welsh TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 03:42 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,203,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I know where Wales is , I've never heard of any of those people before though (except Princess Diana).

I never knew Princess Diana was from Wales, I always thought she was from England.
She was "from Wales" by title only (princess of Wales).

Another famous Welshie that should have been on his list is Catherine Zeta-Jones.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:59 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,966,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
She was "from Wales" by title only (princess of Wales).

Another famous Welshie that should have been on his list is Catherine Zeta-Jones.
That surprised me when I learned of it. I always thought she was like Hispanic or at least partly of a Mediterranean ethnicity. I guess she's just Welsh and Irish.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:19 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,271,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
That surprised me when I learned of it. I always thought she was like Hispanic or at least partly of a Mediterranean ethnicity. I guess she's just Welsh and Irish.
She was born in Norfolk, England...her mother had some Irish heritage. She was also a descendent of King Charles II on her father's side. Diana became the Princess of Wales through her marriage to Charles, Prince of Wales.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:26 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,203,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
She was born in Norfolk, England...her mother had some Irish heritage. She was also a descendent of King Charles II on her father's side. Diana became the Princess of Wales through her marriage to Charles, Prince of Wales.
LOL, I think he was talking about CZJ. I don't think anyone on earth would guess Diana, the WASPiest looking woman in the history of mankind, would be of Hispanic or Mediterranean descent

Old 10-12-2009, 11:44 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,271,767 times
Quote:
LOL, I think he was talking about CZJ. I don't think anyone on earth would guess Diana, the WASPiest looking woman in the history of mankind, would be of Hispanic or Mediterranean descent
I thought that was rather strange...but when he said Irish that reminded me that Diana was Irish on her mother's side.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:12 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,966,872 times
Quote:
Yes I meant CZJ. I may have first heard of her in a Zorro movie or something. Plus "Zeta" sounds either Greek or Spanish. However I guess she's just Welsh and Irish. Was it kind of racist for me to be surprised by that or is it just the Zorro connection?

Old 10-12-2009, 11:39 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,972,002 times
I'm American and have spent time in the following Welsh towns:

Abergavenny
Raglan
Monmouth
Cardiff
Caerphilly
Tongwynlais
Brecon
Swansea
Ruabon
Llangollen
Harlech
Caernarfon
Porthmadog
Bangor
Beaumaris
Llanberis
Conwy
Llandudno

More importantly, I actually know how to pronounce all of those

Old 10-13-2009, 02:19 AM

30 posts, read 72,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
I'm American and have spent time in the following Welsh towns:

Abergavenny
Raglan
Monmouth
Cardiff
Caerphilly
Tongwynlais
Brecon
Swansea
Ruabon
Llangollen
Harlech
Caernarfon
Porthmadog
Bangor
Beaumaris
Llanberis
Conwy
Llandudno

More importantly, I actually know how to pronounce all of those

Very impressive! Though Cardiff is the place to be!

I think there should be a "little Wales" in New York instead of Italy... what you think? a few sheep, pictures of Dylan Thomas - Poet and a Shirley Bassey day every week!

Old 10-13-2009, 05:27 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,215,453 times
What do I know about Wales? I know its part of the UK, and I generally know its borders. I know that Welsh settlers came to my region hundreds of years ago, so I probably have some Welsh ancestry. I've heard of Cardiff and Caernarfon. I think Welsh are more celtic, and English are more like continental europe (anglo-normans?) but I'm not too sure about that. I hear that they're seen sort of like yokels, rural, agricultral people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.