Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2009, 10:18 PM

564 posts, read 2,341,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles09 View Post
they constantly complain about the winter and say the weather is bad if it's cold or if it snows....lol, what do they expect? to be summer forever? I personally prefer to experience 4 seasons like in the East Coast. The cold is what keeps me awake and alert but too much of it would be annoying, same for summer.
I spent the grand majority of my life in South Mississippi near the Louisiana border. Junior year of high school I relocated to southwestern Nebraska and LOVED it.

I love cold weather. I despise the heat.

NEXT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 11:02 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea View Post
I spent the grand majority of my life in South Mississippi near the Louisiana border. Junior year of high school I relocated to southwestern Nebraska and LOVED it.

I love cold weather. I despise the heat.

NEXT.
Great, you love cold.

Many millions do not.

NEXT.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:23 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
NEXT:

I can deal with the cold, even extreme cold. But there's something perverse about the idea of sitting in a condo in Phoenix, in July, unable to do anything but stare at the otherwise warm day.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:51 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
this has probably been said already but yes... you have to get acclimated, if somebody just moves to a place having lived somewhere else all their lives and the temps are drastically different, it takes a long time to get used to it.

Besides improving your ability to perform at a high level in the heat, heat acclimation also starves off serious health risks when you are exposed to the heat. Not being heat acclimated exposes you to several risks including muscle cramps, feeling faint, inability to coordinate muscular movements, headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, hyperthermia, shortness of breath and overall general fatigue.

Also...
Just from an athletic standpoint...

Those who are fitter and have a higher VO2 max are able to tolerate the heat more easily than those who are not aerobically trained. Individuals with higher VO2 max tend to gain the benefits from heat acclimation quicker than those with lower aerobic fitness levels. As far as heat tolerance and heat acclimation, younger or older individuals do not have any reduced ability to heat acclimate as long as the individual is in shape.

Acclimation will only occur when the core body temperature is elevated with moderate to profuse sweat rates – so expect to be in an environment of +100F with 30% humidity.

Also short and stout people or with greater body fat will do better in cold (or worse in heat), whereas taller lankier people or less body fat will do worse in cold (or better in heat)

I'm tall skinny and grew up in FL... so, I get cold really easily, esp my hands, feet, nose, ears, if not covered.
This is totally false. I used to be really thin and I loved the cold even more than I do now. I had a high metabolism, which made me HOT. Your theories are all messed up.

Ever noticed that Mississippi is the fattest state, and Colorado is the thinnest?

Finally, what on earth does height have to do with anything?

Old 03-24-2012, 04:19 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
This is totally false. I used to be really thin and I loved the cold even more than I do now. I had a high metabolism, which made me HOT. Your theories are all messed up.

Ever noticed that Mississippi is the fattest state, and Colorado is the thinnest?

Finally, what on earth does height have to do with anything?
I'll take his over the theory you're offering up, that MS is fat and CO thin (a separation of <10% in obesity rates, I believe...) because of weather

I've lived in CO, but now I live in a city in TX (fatty state) that has high levels of fitness, outdoor activity, personal health, etc. and low obesity. Even in the heat and humidity of the summer, everyone is still out doing their regular outdoor activities. There are other factors that influence fitness & physical health much more than a cold or hot climate...come on now. Both cold and hot climate cities have their "bad" months and staying fit is possible during those months in both places.

For me, I'd much rather go for a shady run on a July evening in Austin than a January afternoon in say, Mpls or Boston.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:35 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Why are Southerners scared of the Cold?

This is ridiculous. It is a blanket statement of all Southerners which is foolish to begin with. I do not know one person who is scared of cold weather. I know a hell of a lot of people who do not like cold weather and guess what? A lot of them are northerners that came here to get away from that very thing.

Why is it necessary for some people to try and make Southerners look ridiculous? it seems some of you just have to pick on the south. Does it make you feel better?

Old 03-24-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
I'll take his over the theory you're offering up, that MS is fat and CO thin (a separation of <10% in obesity rates, I believe...) because of weather
I don't really believe there is a direct cause and effect there, I just think it shows the absurdity of the oft-stated notion that warmth and even heat are somehow fitness-promoting.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Why are Southerners scared of the Cold?

This is ridiculous. It is a blanket statement of all Southerners which is foolish to begin with. I do not know one person who is scared of cold weather. I know a hell of a lot of people who do not like cold weather and guess what? A lot of them are northerners that came here to get away from that very thing.

Why is it necessary for some people to try and make Southerners look ridiculous? it seems some of you just have to pick on the south. Does it make you feel better?
I feel like there a missing context to the original post. Some of us have observed that the South (and the Mid-Atlantic) tend to overreact to snow and similar types of weather, and really jump the gun with the whole eggs/bread/milk/toilet paper thing. It seems like the South also has a culture of people "checking on" each other, asking "why aren't you wearing a hat?" or "why aren't you wearing a coat?" as if it's any of their business.

If you haven't experienced this context, then the original post will seem arbitrary and unfair, but if you have experienced it, then, well, you understand.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:59 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
NEXT:

I can deal with the cold, even extreme cold. But there's something perverse about the idea of sitting in a condo in Phoenix, in July, unable to do anything but stare at the otherwise warm day.
You can go outside on a 110F day just like you can go outside on a -20F. It's all what your body and mind can take. Personally, on a 110F swimming becomes VERY nice. If you got a swimming pool or nearby a body of water you're going to be in it the whole day and probably not even notice the temperature. Whereas, when it's extreme cold you could go snowboarding/skiing or something if you live in the mountains and all that activity you'll probably not feel that bad either.

This whole argument is rather stupid since people naturally prefer different things. I don't mind heat, I've lived in the deep south without AC. No sweat lol I lived in the north too. I got by, just wore more layers. I didn't like it though but I noticed it was mostly my mood (less energetic, sleepy) and was probably related to lack of sun more than anything.

Also when you live in warm climates you tend to get used to wearing less clothes. I often don't want to put on anything more than a hoody and often wear shorts and shorts sleeves throughout the winter in the south, and many days I'm cold for it. Whereas in the north it's kinda the opposite.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:13 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times
When we were in Mississippi (all my life, until three years ago), most people could not WAIT for cooler weather. The colder it got, the happier they got: especially the white people with dark hair. Me, I'm an Indian, and thought the weather was just right all the time. My people had finished evolving in that climate.

When we moved out here, I stayed behind to see the last of the Movers off, while the rest of the family went ahead to help our Decorator set up the house. I wanted to drive cross-country, to make the journey real in my head. The plan was to stop over in Aspen for a few days, to give the design team time to get the house photo-shoot-worthy....and to give me time for solitary reflection on the momentous change.

Well, a blizzard hit Aspen about that time. And a cousin who'd driven in from Boulder to visit, decided to stay with me at the Gerome. Some film people we'd met in Malibu spotted me. We were running, wrapped in furs, through the blizzard, from one party to the next. So, what was supposed to be a period of mourning for my old state and old self, turned into a week-long party in the snow. What a blast!

After an introduction to The North like that, I hardly notice whatever winter throws at us in Oregon. And the fact that I can grow Rhododendrons, Lilacs, Peonies, Fuchsias, Anemones, Ferns, and European Antique Roses in this cooler climate makes living up here so wonderful.

The greatest challenge for Southerners, I think, is adjusting to the LOGISTICS of cold climates. Snow Tires, Snow Brushes for cars... various issues with which one has to become familiar.... you know.... not sticking your tongue onto metal railings during sub-zero cold... that sort of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.