U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2012, 09:14 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,353,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
I don't really believe there is a direct cause and effect there, I just think it shows the absurdity of the oft-stated notion that warmth and even heat are somehow fitness-promoting.
You really think that is a common viewpoint? I'm surprised to hear that, I hear much more often some arrogant self-congratulatory "cold-climate" folks trying to say that somehow heat makes people sedentary but frigid weather makes people active...I dunno, to me that's a rationalization that's realllyyy reaching.

There are correlations between several variables and obesity, but the clearest one I think is socioeconomic status. Of course some of those living in the fitter areas are loath to admit that and would rather give themselves full credit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 09:28 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,947,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
You really think that is a common viewpoint?
I hear it a lot. Usually based on the idea that heat is "outdoor weather" and cold is "indoor weather", which I also don't get. And also something about appetite, about which I'm not sure (I crave different foods in cold weather, but more food/more calories? I wouldn't necessarily say that). And then is there is the vanity motive- if you're wearing less you want to look better- which kinda makes sense but psychologically vanity may be self-defeating from what I've seen: you become overly concerned with your appearance and that can lead to emotional eating.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:43 PM

7,735 posts, read 6,141,582 times
Cold weather is sooooooooo overrated. Give me summer all year if possible, make it cold on christmas, then bring summer right back. Somehow, people think cold weather makes you tougher. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:18 AM

14,752 posts, read 28,612,669 times
I could live where it spring and summer year round. I would prefer that.

And take a trip to Quebec or New England to see fall colors, but that's about it.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:48 AM

31 posts, read 46,474 times
Because cold weather is LAME. I think its too cold here in Virginia, any place where my hands & feet feel like the cold skin of a corpse is not a place I want to be. Another reason I don't the cold is because like 90% of the things I like to do are typically things you would do when its hot. I would just rather feel my skin cook than freeze, my personal preference.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:51 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
Because winter can kill. If you're not prepared for it, you can die out there on the road in a northern winter. Happens all the time. In Newfoundland, every spring, bodies are found under the melting snow in their front yards, of missing people who went out to check the mail. In Saskatchewan, you never go out in winter without telling someone where you are going.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:37 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,355,348 times
I'm not a "southerner;" I live in the Southwest now, but I was raised in Washington State and New England.

I never liked the cold. No matter how many years in a row I had to deal with rain, grey skies, snow, freezing temperatures, ice, etc., I never adapted. The cold hurt, and when I was a kid and had to wake up in the morning and trudge through it to get to school, it made me want to fall back asleep. When I was an adult and lived there, my body clicked right back into it.

My dad grew up in the South and is the exact opposite: he hates hot weather and loves it to be cold. He's always happy to wake up at 5am to shovel snow from the driveway and finds it invigorating. My mom, also a Seattle native, loves the rain and chilly weather. I find it all to be a punishment. I enjoy it for a few days when I visit, but can't wait to get back to the sunshine afterwards.

I think it's really a matter of personal preference, and making any sweeping generalizations is pointless. When I lived in Seattle, I'd hear people opine that the fact that they would go running in drizzly, grey weather in the mid-30's made then somehow "tougher" than people down in CA or AZ. Which is fine - if that's part of the motivation it takes to get moving in that weather, so be it I'll do a 25 mile bike ride during the day down here when it's 90 degrees, and then another 25 miles at night when it drops all the way down to 55!

Old 03-25-2012, 08:43 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,947,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Because winter can kill. If you're not prepared for it, you can die out there on the road in a northern winter. Happens all the time. In Newfoundland, every spring, bodies are found under the melting snow in their front yards, of missing people who went out to check the mail. In Saskatchewan, you never go out in winter without telling someone where you are going.
Know the #1 type of killer weather? Hint: it's not cold.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:24 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,355,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
NEXT:

I can deal with the cold, even extreme cold. But there's something perverse about the idea of sitting in a condo in Phoenix, in July, unable to do anything but stare at the otherwise warm day.
Again, when you get cooking desert heat in July... my first instinct is to go for a run to warm-up for a long bike ride.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:54 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,078,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Know the #1 type of killer weather? Hint: it's not cold.
What's your source? From a quick google check:

Quote:
BBC News and Department of the Interior analyst Indur Goklany have published separate papers documenting how cold weather kills far more people than hot weather.

Federal mortality statistics show 800 more people die every day in December, January, and February than occurs on an average day during the rest of the year. The winter months kill 72,000 more U.S. citizens than the spring-summer-autumn average.

Cold Weather Kills More People than Heat | Heartland Institute
IF cold weather kills less it's because more people have heating than AC. But I doubt it. Just ask yourself which weather would you prefer to sleep outside in just your clothes: 30F or 100F. And 30F isn't that cold, it can get a lot colder but not much hotter than 100F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.