U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 02:17 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,859,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Cars last longer in the south too, no salt to cause rust.
with modern cars this isn't nearly the problem it used to be, I almost never see rust on cars/trucks here in the upper midwest anymore, not like 20 years ago.

and not to start a fight at all- I love the South and Southerners- but the heat kills far more people than cold does. This is just a fact. The heat, although seemingly more popular, is far more dangerous than cold. Far more people die from heat exhaustion and heat stroke than freeze to death.

I do think it's funny when people say "the south wouldn't be so popular without air conditioning" .... like the North would be real popular without furnaces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 08:02 PM

15,292 posts, read 11,995,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
When I first moved here, I used to be cold with the AC set at 74. Now, it doesn't bother me and feels nice. Last year at work, I used to volunteer to get the kids breakfast so I could go into the walk in fridge (30s?), in short sleeves, capris, and flip flops. It was lovely in there. I used to stay in there as long as possible. People thought I was crazy. It was 9 degrees last January when I was in NY. I had a down coat on with a wool sweater underneath. I had to take off the sweater because I was sweating.

Maybe I am just weird, but each year I am here my tolerance for heat lessens, and it seems I am able to tolerate cold much more than before.
I do not dispute what you say....I'd rather the cold also and the heat bothers me more each year......but your body adjusts to where you live...but my thermostat is set for cold...LOL.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:46 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,906,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I agree it's mostly just about what they're used to. However I don't think it's universal. I liked the cold when I was a kid in Arkansas.

Body type also matters. If you are "tall and lanky" your body will, generally speaking, lose heat faster so you will likely prefer warmer. If you're "short and squat", as I am, your body retains a good deal of heat on its own so you likely will prefer cooler. I think the South has a fair rate of obesity, but I don't know its average height. If my theory is correct short overweight Southerners shouldn't complain of the cold so much.

(Off-topic but going by this I would say the Sudanese and Rwandans, by selection or design, are likely "made for warm climate." They tend to be long and lanky in body-type with dark-skin to prevent burning or cancer. However I believe many Sudanese settled in places like Minnesota so who knows.)
Yeah I am long and lanky... never got used to the Chicago winters...Though I liked the city a bunch I was pretty miserable there from Dec-March. I'm 6'4" and 190 and also grew up in Florida. My hands and feet get cold even if it is like 65 indoors
I like the heat and sun, just not the humidity...I go in the dry sauna pretty often.
I never was *scared* of it though...just not preferable.

I have a friend from Nigeria who went to Boston College for one semester and transferred because she couldn't take the winter.

Last edited by grapico; 10-12-2009 at 08:57 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 12:25 PM

6,753 posts, read 14,905,774 times
We are haivng a pretty cold fall so far here in Kentucky and it has been in the 50's and 60's already.. the norm is 70 and let me tell you, it stinks lol

Old 10-13-2009, 01:27 PM

2,242 posts, read 4,129,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
We are haivng a pretty cold fall so far here in Kentucky and it has been in the 50's and 60's already.. the norm is 70 and let me tell you, it stinks lol
boohoo
We've had 30s and high of 40s

Old 10-13-2009, 01:34 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,758,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
boohoo
Oh well...enjoy!

We are sunny with a high of 70 and a low of 61 today. Beautiful!

Old 10-13-2009, 05:37 PM

2,496 posts, read 5,737,538 times
Here in San Diego, it's been getting down to the mid 50s during the night for the past week or so. My husband, who was born and raised in South Florida, gets freezing cold--whereas I, who lived in Florida, but also lived in Boston, feel comfortable. Everyone's different and it depends on what someone is used to.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
boohoo
Well good for you

Old 10-13-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Oh well...enjoy!

We are sunny with a high of 70 and a low of 61 today. Beautiful!
It was 65 and pretty yesterday, not so much today. stupid Ohio valley lol

Old 10-13-2009, 07:10 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,835,722 times
What's amazing to me is that 30 or 40 years ago, winter and cold weather was considered a normal part of the American experience and lifestyle. But today, it's widely considered to be a dreaded, exotic, undue hardship. I can only guess that this change in attitude is because the population in the South and West (warmer climes) has exploded over the last few decades, and we now have many more Americans who (since birth) have known nothing of winter, or even of temperatures that get cooler than 50 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.