U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 01:34 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,652,499 times

Advertisements

southerners are afraid of the WORD cold.

eek: its cold outside.
southerner: yeah, its chilly.
eek: na..its cold.
southerner: yes, its a bit nippy.
eek: son, its cold outside.
southerner: its kinda cool outside.
eek: say it with me, coooolllld
southerner: niiiiiiipppppyyyy

i'm convinced that the word cold is not taught in schools in the south.

also, a few things...

the temps have dropped during fall/winter in the south for decades. it has snowed in parts of the south for a long, long, long time every winter.

why on earth are southern ppl still not used to both the cold and the snow in the south??
if it snows one inch, everything gets shut down. it could be 45 degrees and two things will happen:

ppl will complain that its cold
someone will come out in shorts and flipflops with a hoodie

smh at the south for that.

also, when it gets cold and a northerner puts on a jacket or a coat, they look at you funny and ask aren't you hot? no, i'm cold. thats why i have a coat on. oh, but i thought you were from ny? yes, thats why i have a coat on, idiot.

the min it gets 65 outside, southerners complain about the "heat."

aren't southerners used to the heat like we should be used to the cold? oh ok.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 01:39 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,147,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post

What a laugh.

You should go on the road with this comedy show.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:42 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,265,202 times
Quote:

You've convinced all of us that capitalization isn't taught in Jamaica, NY. By the way, how does one teach the word "cold" in schools? I think that even the lowest level Kindergartner has learned what the word means by the time he/she starts school.

How many southerners do you speak with about the weather each day?

Old 10-19-2009, 01:49 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,087,987 times
Quote:

Lol, that had me laughing .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
You've convinced all of us that capitalization isn't taught in Jamaica, NY. By the way, how does one teach the word "cold" in schools? I think that even the lowest level Kindergartner has learned what the word means by the time he/she starts school.

Lol, I live there too (its in South Queens about 15 miles Southeast of Manhattan) and I use capitals.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:50 PM
eek

Quote:

i specifically choose not to use capitalization when i post on various forums. save your insults.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:02 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,147,451 times
Quote:
i specifically choose not to use capitalization when i post on various forums. save your insults.
How about taking a little of your own advice there?

Calling Southerners idiots will get you nothing but grief, oh enlightened one.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:03 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,265,202 times
Quote:
Your former English teachers would be so proud! That's akin to choosing not to use punctuation or correct grammar. Why would anyone do such a thing?

Specifically choose to save yours, then insults won't be a problem. Do you really expect to post insulting junk and not get it in return? If so, it's a very naive thought.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:30 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
How about taking a little of your own advice there?

Calling Southerners idiots will get you nothing but grief, oh enlightened one.
thx for the compliment.

and i didn't call southerners idiots. reading is fundamental. taking things into context would also help.

Quote:
Your former English teachers would be so proud! That's akin to choosing not to use punctuation or correct grammar. Why would anyone do such a thing?
yes, because this:

hi. today i'm going to post on CD.

is the same as:

hi today im going to post on cd because i just left the store and went to the beach and um yeah thats about it because of um i dunno just thats all i can think of at the moment kthx

Quote:
Specifically choose to save yours, then insults won't be a problem. Do you really expect to post insulting junk and not get it in return? If so, it's a very naive thought.
so basically you don't really have anything to say about the topic. save your monologues.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:06 PM

802 posts, read 1,745,126 times
I hate the cold so Much its not even funny if the Tempature drops below 66 it is to cold for me. I remember the Ice Storm of the south in 03 and I had to walk my dogs I was about to die and it was like 25 degrees outside at 3 in the Afternoon. I bout died. I can deal with Heat and Humidity, but I do like a dry heat a little better. GIve me 5 straights days of 95 degrees with 80% humidity and I okay even losing a couple of Lbs. BUt 5 days with weather below 60 and I am a pissy bastard.

Born and Raised in NC have lived in Chicago for a season (The Fall) and Colorado Springs for a year (First snow I ever saw). Now live in Atlanta. So I am southern at heart.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:29 PM

47,988 posts, read 45,443,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I agree it's mostly just about what they're used to. However I don't think it's universal. I liked the cold when I was a kid in Arkansas.

Body type also matters. If you are "tall and lanky" your body will, generally speaking, lose heat faster so you will likely prefer warmer. If you're "short and squat", as I am, your body retains a good deal of heat on its own so you likely will prefer cooler. I think the South has a fair rate of obesity, but I don't know its average height. If my theory is correct short overweight Southerners shouldn't complain of the cold so much.

(Off-topic but going by this I would say the Sudanese and Rwandans, by selection or design, are likely "made for warm climate." They tend to be long and lanky in body-type with dark-skin to prevent burning or cancer. However I believe many Sudanese settled in places like Minnesota so who knows.)
Omaha,NE has the largest population of Sudanese in the USA. Minneapolis has the largest Somalian population.
BTW, anyone can get skin cancer or a sunburn. I'm black and I have gotten a sunburn.
As for height and weight, I am short(5'5"), but I am not squat(I'm somewhere in the low 130's range) and I don't worry about the cold that much. Actually when some people shake my hand, they tell me that my hands are warm in comparison to theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.