U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-21-2009, 07:07 PM

12,828 posts, read 19,342,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berneke View Post
Yeah, those days really are special southernnaturelover. Perfect weather if you ask me.
Me, too. We're not scared of the cold...we just think that a long, extended period of it pretty much sucks.
Apparently we're not alone in that assessment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 10:38 PM

27,076 posts, read 22,513,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Me, too. We're not scared of the cold...we just think that a long, extended period of it pretty much sucks.
Apparently we're not alone in that assessment.
Interesting you say that. I wanted to go into Atlanta last week. I asked a friend if he wanted to join me. He said it would be too cold. I was rather annoyed because my point of view was we would be at a club or in the car most of the time. That and the temperatures were in the mid 50's and were staying that way through the evening. To me 55 degrees F is not cold, and even if it was 20 degrees F, I would still want to be out on Friday night.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:39 AM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
845 posts, read 971,737 times
Smile cold cold....

I am originially from the south, although, I have lived in different parts of the US, and in Europe. I love cold weather. Almost wish we had a longer winter in South TX. This southerner is not scared of the cold. I can't speak for other southerners, as to why they are scared of the cold. I just think it has to be a personal preference, up to each individual.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:36 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,637,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Interesting you say that. I wanted to go into Atlanta last week. I asked a friend if he wanted to join me. He said it would be too cold. I was rather annoyed because my point of view was we would be at a club or in the car most of the time. That and the temperatures were in the mid 50's and were staying that way through the evening. To me 55 degrees F is not cold, and even if it was 20 degrees F, I would still want to be out on Friday night.
Too cold? I think your friend may have some issues.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:41 PM

27,076 posts, read 22,513,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Too cold? I think your friend may have some issues.
I think he does. 55 degrees F, even if it's cloudy and breezy, does not mean cold. I actually don't cancel anything for weather-related issues unless it interferes with my ability to get to a place(for instance, heavy rain. I ride a bicycle). It could snow and I would still try to go out and do things.

It doesn't surprise me that many people in the South complain about "cold". I think it is the culture. I see alot of people who don't like to wear heavy clothes. Many of them are the shorts-and-flip flop types. I am not that type. There is also this to remember. In Georgia, school will get cancelled if it snows, not if there is at least 2 feet of snow and/or blizzard conditions, but if it's just snow flurries, and not even an inch on the ground. I remember one year there was a cold snap and the temperatures drop below 10 degrees F. School was cancelled because it was "too cold". Apparently, the buses don't have diesel heaters.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:48 AM

6,753 posts, read 14,776,663 times
55 can be cold, especially if it is cloudy and/or windy. I know, there are times I work out in it! I have been cold in 60 if there is a North wind.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:12 AM

13,856 posts, read 13,811,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berneke View Post
It's relative though. Yes, it does get cold in Atlanta, as it does here in North Texas. However, it doesn't get as cold for as long as it does in the Northern climates. Personally, I like four distinct seasons, and have a huge disdain for the sweaty, humid climates of the deep South in places like New Orleans, South Florida, and Houston.

But, even those places have a change now and then (well, except for South Florida). I couldn't fathom how someone could live in a monotonous climate where it's the same all year round.
The South might be less cold than "The North" due to a lower lattitude, but there are parts of the South I think get pretty cold. Virginia is traditionally part of the South and outside "Northern Virginia" much of it is still considered Southern.

Lynchburg, Virginia apparently gets a fair amount of snow and below freezing weather. It's also the home of Falwell's "Liberty University" and seems to be considered South on the forums I find about it.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Lynchburg-Virginia.html

Although warmer than where I live now my birthplace of Northwest Arkansas certainly has some winter. Fort Smith has below the US average for snow and days under freezing, but it does get some of both.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Fort-Smith-Arkansas.html

Bentonville, Arkansas is pretty close to average for cold and snow.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Bentonville-Arkansas.html

Old 10-25-2009, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 1,838 times
this is garbage like its just what you get used to when we see yankees in south louisiana and they cant breathe in the summer from the humidity its because they are not used to it anybody can adjust down south we just dont like the cold mainly in the deep south arkansas mississippi alabama louisiana georgia people come from old south familys and their bodies are used to heat not cold

Old 10-25-2009, 01:31 PM

7,832 posts, read 9,548,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1026 View Post
this is garbage like its just what you get used to when we see yankees in south louisiana and they cant breathe in the summer from the humidity its because they are not used to it anybody can adjust down south we just dont like the cold mainly in the deep south arkansas mississippi alabama louisiana georgia people come from old south familys and their bodies are used to heat not cold
If its the Summer I don't see why the "Yankees" wouldn't be used to it either. I guess some people just like to be dramatic lol.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:42 PM

4,925 posts, read 6,218,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1026 View Post
....,.,'":;<. Here's some extra punctuation for you to use next time--in case you'd run out.

I think the word "scared" that the OP used is a little strong. "Prefer" might be more accurate.

I guess the question could be flipped, as some have suggested...why are so many Northerners scared of heat and humidity? It's what you're used to or what you like...that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.