U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:20 PM

5,128 posts, read 10,260,702 times

Advertisements

We love to go exploring on the weekends. With the gas prices, our trips will be shorter, but still, it's so much fun to find new restaurants, little shops, lakes, parks etc.! LOVE IT !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 11:03 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,449,050 times
I still enjoy taking Sunday drives, though like most folks, they are often Saturday drives. Sometimes, though, they are weekend drives, and sometimes they are week-long, or several weeks-long drives. I love seeing new things and new places. This past weekend I headed from SoCal way up almost to the top of NorCal, just south of Lake Shasta. It was nearly 600 miles each way, so I couldn't just do it on a Sunday drive. The Sunday part was spent driving home, and spending some time in the "Old Town" area of Sacramento. That's a place to go for a weekend that has a lot to offer, but is still too far for just a Sunday drive. If I do just go for a drive on a Sunday afternoon, it's most likely to be to one of the cities near me, or through the nearby mountains. Once in a while, it might be a trip to the beach or one of our local lakes, or to one of the fresh fruit stands along the side of the road in the agricultural areas around here.

Like someone else mentioned earlier, I, too, try to take a different route each time I head for a destination. This isn't always practical, but when it is, it's fun to do. My last trip out to Wyoming included a run past Flaming Gorge reservoir in northern Utah. Next time out, I think I'll head past the Dinosaur National Monument on the Utah/Colorado border.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:03 PM

15,564 posts, read 36,562,009 times
I go out exploring different places and things all the time, but not always necessarily on a Sunday.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:06 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,531,536 times
We used to do that alot when I was growing up. My parents were from Texas but we lived in Massachusetts, there was plenty for us to discover.

Now, with gas prices what they are my daughter and I don't normally do this. The closest thing is when we go to the beach, I check out the map and come home a different way...but the beach is the central destination. I do love looking for a new restuarant...one time we found a Dairy Queen...thats a big deal for a Texan in a new state that has so few...we were able to get blizzards after spending the day at the beach.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:31 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,282,944 times
When I was working full time outside of Akron or sitting at home in the Detroit suburbs, I pretty much drived around all weekend, unless I was trying to roll out of bed. Now, as I grad student, I have time mostly on Saturday nights. That's okay, I'm a city person more than a country wanderer anyway.

I don't recommend getting lost in Illinois even with a full tank of gas ... it's a huge state and no one will find you in the cornfields.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:33 PM

15,564 posts, read 36,562,009 times
Not even the Amish?

Old 05-07-2007, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Not even the Amish?
No, not even the Amish will find you. You'd best have GPS, or at least "OnStar."

Old 05-07-2007, 11:43 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,531,536 times
GPS and Onstar is for wimps...I carry a map with me...my car has a compas built in, I never get lost.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:01 AM

769 posts, read 1,984,207 times
We don't go on a drive every weekend, but pretty much every other weekend. Being in a new City/state/area we have a lot to discover. Sometimes it's a ways - we drove 150 miles worth around the Lake Norman area just checking out the towns and inlets, and a couple weekends ago we went up to Kentucky. Sometimes it's around town, which has been bad for our grocery bill because we keep finding new/different grocery stores and we always end up buying all those cool things we didn't find at the last one!!!
We take a good supply of maps and just turn wherever the whim takes us!

Old 05-08-2007, 07:37 PM

If you are continually finding new grocery stores near your home, you either just moved there, or you don't get out enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or