U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 07:30 AM

769 posts, read 1,984,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
If you are continually finding new grocery stores near your home, you either just moved there, or you don't get out enough.
You're right - we just moved!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 07:59 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,351,483 times
OK, all you people need to stay off the roads so we truckers can get YOUR goods delivered! That's what big-screen TVs are for. Gather the family around one this wekend! (Sorry, couldn't resist... )

Old 05-09-2007, 08:44 AM

87,008 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
OK, all you people need to stay off the roads so we truckers can get YOUR goods delivered! That's what big-screen TVs are for. Gather the family around one this wekend! (Sorry, couldn't resist... )
Crew Chief: I know you're joking, but I wanted to share this. In Germany, Sunday is considered a day of rest. Lots of people go out for Sunday drives, but we noticed few if any commercial trucks. Come Monday, they were back on the roads. (Was just there last month for the first time)

Old 05-12-2007, 05:34 AM

859 posts, read 3,065,639 times
I LOVE Sunday drives.

I live in the suburbs in a very commerical area and love going to rural parts or PA or NJ on the weekend. Or down to the shore. Nice to get a change of scene.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:21 AM

2,067 posts, read 5,320,119 times
I love Sunday drives, have since I was little. I have to work 7 days a week though to make ends meet, so while I do drive on my second job, it's not for fun, and it's not an aimless drive, which is my favorite. Once I move and get down to one job, I hope to start taking drives again.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:35 PM

1,418 posts, read 6,384,295 times
We do from time to time. We live in the Charlotte area and sometimes we'll drive up to Mt. Airy (model for the town "Mayberry") and spend the day. Or get on the Blue Ridge Pkwy. for a short drive. It's great!!

Old 05-12-2007, 02:50 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,159,395 times
Sorry if I seem like Debbie Downer over here, but I don't like going for "Sunday" Drives. I'm a halfass environmentalist (halfass meaning I don't use plastic bags, I recycle, I minimize driving, but I can't give up chemical laundry detergent, and I'm guilty of leaving the lights on). Anyway, I don't like driving around aimlessly because I can't stop thinking about the fuel I'm wasting. Granted it's fun to explore new places and see new things, but if I'm doing it in a car I'm not enjoying it as much. And furthermore, with NNJ traffic, it's difficult to have an enjoyable drive anywhere!

I LOVE biking and walking. Just today I walked down to my local downtown and bought some stuff, walked to the next town's downtown and bought more (no bags please), and just enjoyed being outdoors. I like to take my bike out and ride for 20 miles through suburban NJ and NYC. I'm still exploring and seeing new things, but I'm doing it on the power of my own legs, not fossil fuels.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:42 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,720,963 times
I do Sunday drives and bike rides all the time, and I live in Phoenix. Yes, it sounds crazy, but I like exploring different parts of town, checking out different shopping centers, developments, businesses, mountain preserves, etc. I might check out Chandler, Gilbert, Queen Creek one week, Maricopa and Casa Grande the next, Cave Creek, Carefree, N. Scottsdale the next, north Central Phoenix/ Paradise Valley the next, etc, etc. Even in suburbia, if you look under the surface, you can find all sorts of interesting things and subtle differences. Especially in older, 1950s-80's era suburbs, there are often a lot of independent businesses and ethnic restaurants located in strip malls. I also love the sense of traveling throughout the landscape. It often requires the use of imagination, to feel you are traveling throughout the desert in a flat, built-up, gridded-out city, like Phoenix. Although, I admit, sometimes the "sunday drives" here gets so monotonous, it can get depressing. The key is using your imagination-- and creative photography.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:00 PM

87,008 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Quote:
I'm still exploring and seeing new things, but I'm doing it on the power of my own legs, not fossil fuels.
You can get a little farther in a car; that's probably the attraction of the machine. As long as you don't do it every Sunday, I don't see the problem. After all, many other pastimes use energy as well.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:25 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,449,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
You can get a little farther in a car; that's probably the attraction of the machine. As long as you don't do it every Sunday, I don't see the problem. After all, many other pastimes use energy as well.
The biggest disadvantage to using a car (and even more so a train or a plane) is that you go by things so quickly that you don't get to see the details. How often I've heard folks say that the drive from L.A. to Las Vegas is boring. If they only knew what was really out in that vast desert. It truly is a wonderland that is usually overlooked. While the desert landscape isn't necessarily something everyone can find beauty in, I feel it's a lot easier to do when you slow down and take the time to see what's really there. Walking, biking, and horseback riding are all good activities for slowing down the pace.

With that said, I must admit that most of the time, I drive through most places, and miss many of the intricate details of everything around me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or