U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 10:42 PM

5,773 posts, read 12,316,724 times

Advertisements

Exploring new areas is part of human nature. It's ingrained in so many of us to see what's on the other side of the hill, as evidenced by so many posts here. For years my wife and I would hike to mountaintops and leisurely ride our bicycles through new towns with the eyes of children, seeing new and different places and meeting folks all over. But now, she doesn't get around as well as she used to due to a degenerative condition with her back. So... we take rides in the car. We'll stop and feed carrots and apples to horses that we see along the way, sit by a waterfall, or just gaze at things that we haven't seen before. Usually there is a destination where we stop and take in the sights, do some shopping, or just enjoy each other's company by a lake or in a restaurant.

Driving around is a guilty pleasure for sure; Relaxing, fun and interesting. And we do feel the guilt. We sorta compromised though by traveling on our own power for many a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 01:40 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,122,019 times
I'm in Richmond, VA, so NC isn't that far for me. I drive sometimes to Raleigh. Its a bit of a drive to Charlotte, though. I am still within less than 2 hours reach of Cape Hatteras and all the nice beaches there though. Moderator cut: off topic

Old 05-14-2007, 10:58 AM

5,857 posts, read 14,043,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Sorry if I seem like Debbie Downer over here, but I don't like going for "Sunday" Drives. I'm a halfass environmentalist (halfass meaning I don't use plastic bags, I recycle, I minimize driving, but I can't give up chemical laundry detergent, and I'm guilty of leaving the lights on). Anyway, I don't like driving around aimlessly because I can't stop thinking about the fuel I'm wasting. Granted it's fun to explore new places and see new things, but if I'm doing it in a car I'm not enjoying it as much. And furthermore, with NNJ traffic, it's difficult to have an enjoyable drive anywhere!

I LOVE biking and walking. Just today I walked down to my local downtown and bought some stuff, walked to the next town's downtown and bought more (no bags please), and just enjoyed being outdoors. I like to take my bike out and ride for 20 miles through suburban NJ and NYC. I'm still exploring and seeing new things, but I'm doing it on the power of my own legs, not fossil fuels.
Many of the miles I put on my car are for pleasure drives. I don't feel guilty at all because I commute via public transit and walk to many destinations (shopping, entertainment) in my old-fashioned city neighborhood (the kind of neighborhood the "new urbanists" are trying to re-create). IMHO, the biggest waste of gas in the US is due to commuting via automobile!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or