U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2007, 08:15 PM

5,861 posts, read 14,070,390 times

Advertisements

Wow, Speedy, jbear and and Rawlings. Have you been to these cities or are you relying on sterotypes and heresay?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 08:19 PM

30,254 posts, read 67,427,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Have you even been there?

I have been there several times, and the city has never failed to impress me. I love the people, the interesting network of historic neighborhoods, and, most importantly, the wonderful skyline views from atop Mt. Washington, especially at night! After studying that map though, I'd be concerned about living in that city if I had asthma or was in a group sensitive to respiratory ailments.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:42 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,479,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
I have been to Pittsburgh in my travels. It really is much "Nicer" than a lot of folks would believe. BUT PHILLY????? OMG That one I won't buy!!!
Philly isnt that bad. Sure there are bad spots, but I can go any direction from the strip in Vegas and be in a 3rd world craphole too. Have you been to Philly? Its VERY nice in places, and has more class in one block than Vegas has in its entire limits.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I disagree with that list. Pittsburgh as the most livable city, please don't hold your breath! I'd vote Pittsburgh as one of the LEAST livable cities with all that crime and pollution. Otherwise I'd say it's pretty good with the possible exception of San Jose.
Did I just hear a Phoenician talk about crime and pollution? One must look no further than that dusty dive called Phoenix before they bash another city. Pittsburgh is far more cultural than PHX, has a far better downtown, far better sports venues, far better food, and 4 seasons to boot. Pollution? Lets talk about the brown cloud that hovers over PHX almost every day, its disgusting. Crime? PHX always ranks higher than Pittsburgh...

Phoenix. Mmmmmm, yummy:
http://phoenix.about.com/od/weather/a/browncloud.htm

Old 05-07-2007, 08:50 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,300,517 times
Quote:
1. Pittsburgh
4.Portland, Ore.
5.Philadelphia.
6.Rochester, N.Y.
Quote:
Wow, Speedy, jbear and and Rawlings. Have you been to these cities or are you relying on sterotypes and heresay?
I've been to each of those cities except Pittsburgh, Phily, Rochester, and Portland. I'd like to visit Portland but as for the rest, I really could care less.

I've had different clients over the years that have moved from Pittsburgh and they have all said it was a horrible place to live. The pollution is bad, a ton of crime in the city itself (not the suburbs), and many buildings are dilapidated. I'm basing it on their views and things that I have heard over the years. As far as I'm concerned, the only good thing about Pittsburgh is the Steelers.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:55 PM

625 posts, read 1,563,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I have been to all except Rochester. I don't recall posting negetive thought on any of them. I mentioned Denver but not the others.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:58 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,300,517 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh is far more cultural than PHX, has a far better downtown, far better sports venues, far better food, and 4 seasons to boot.
More cultural- That's debatable
Better downtown- Yes
Better sports venue- I like the Steelers so I agree.
Better food- NO WAY! Have you ever tried some of the great Mexican food down here? We have some great restaurants in Phoenix.
4 Seasons- Isn't that a negative?

Old 05-07-2007, 09:07 PM

5,298 posts, read 5,777,260 times
I did forget to mention,I'd like to visit Portland and Seattle.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:08 PM

70 posts, read 296,756 times
I'm gonna be blunt- someone who prefers Pittsburgh over Phoenix in this day and age either (1) grew up in Pittsburgh, (2) lives for football (Steelers over Cardinals any day or (3) strikes me as the extremely dull-type who is scarred of (a) non-white people, (b) a competitive economy (c) upwardly mobile people.

Sorry, certain things are up for debate (Austin or Seattle?), (San Francisco or New York?), (Omaha or Des Moines), but Pittsburgh can't be compared to Phoenix. I would find someone who preferred, say, Hartford to Denver as boring too.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
More cultural- That's debatable
Better downtown- Yes
Better sports venue- I like the Steelers so I agree.
Better food- NO WAY! Have you ever tried some of the great Mexican food down here? We have some great restaurants in Phoenix.
4 Seasons- Isn't that a negative?
Thats the problem, the ONLY food PHX does well is Mexican, I will give you that. However, the Italian, Chinese, Irish, etc restaurants that Pittsburgh has are far better and in more quantity from what I saw and have personally tasted compared to PHX.

And how is 4 seasons a negative? To me, constant warmth and never-changing environment is as fun as watching mold grow. Booooooring. Change is good, it keeps things interesting. Subjection to permanency must drive folks mad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.