U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 09:08 PM

4,909 posts, read 12,539,254 times

Advertisements

Actually I think the rankings are based on metro not particularly just city. 6 of Philadelphias 8 suburban counties are in the top 100 wealthiest counties. Philadlephia metro has the most affordable housing on the east coast and a fabulous landscape of lush green hills and valleys. In defense of the city- Center City Philadelphia is the third most populous downtown in the country and arguably the 3rd most impressive downtown in the country behind NYC and Chi. Absolute incredible mix of vibrancy and tranquility. Would blow most of you naysayers away if you saw it in person and had a personal tour guide. I was in town today and I overheard a French group saying "I simply can not fathom that this city exists less than an hour from NYC. It is simply magnificient." True story. Err the The ghettoes are a slight hinderance to Phillys reputation and deserve no defense.

The suburbs of Philaldephia- Old world money + Top notch.

rawlings not sure of the origin of your disdain regarding Philadephia but I'm going to assume its pure ignorance.

Methacton (Montgomery County)- 25 miles nw of center city. Off in the distance you can see some of the Philly skyscrapers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 09:20 PM

625 posts, read 1,563,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviodante View Post
I'm gonna be blunt- someone who prefers Pittsburgh over Phoenix in this day and age either (1) grew up in Pittsburgh, (2) lives for football (Steelers over Cardinals any day or (3) strikes me as the extremely dull-type who is scarred of (a) non-white people, (b) a competitive economy (c) upwardly mobile people.

Sorry, certain things are up for debate (Austin or Seattle?), (San Francisco or New York?), (Omaha or Des Moines), but Pittsburgh can't be compared to Phoenix. I would find someone who preferred, say, Hartford to Denver as boring too.
With the exception of Vegas, Phoenix just might be the worst city the U.S. And yes, I have lived there - 14 mos. to be exact. I love Arizona - beautiful state but Phoenix IMO is terrible. I'm glad you like it but your generalizations show ignorance.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:55 PM

416 posts, read 2,337,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Actually I think the rankings are based on metro not particularly just city. 6 of Philadelphias 8 suburban counties are in the top 100 wealthiest counties. Philadlephia metro has the most affordable housing on the east coast and a fabulous landscape of lush green hills and valleys. In defense of the city- Center City Philadelphia is the third most populous downtown in the country and arguably the 3rd most impressive downtown in the country behind NYC and Chi. Absolute incredible mix of vibrancy and tranquility. Would blow most of you naysayers away if you saw it in person and had a personal tour guide. I was in town today and I overheard a French group saying "I simply can not fathom that this city exists less than an hour from NYC. It is simply magnificient." True story. Err the The ghettoes are a slight hinderance to Phillys reputation and deserve no defense.

The suburbs of Philaldephia- Old world money + Top notch.

rawlings not sure of the origin of your disdain regarding Philadephia but I'm going to assume its pure ignorance.

Methacton (Montgomery County)- 25 miles nw of center city. Off in the distance you can see some of the Philly skyscrapers.

Not to mention the Thunderstorms - love the pics you showed us in the WA forum.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:40 AM

823 posts, read 3,377,149 times
Obviously whoever made the list has never been to Rochester. It is one of the last places in the northeast I would choose to live. Philadephia isn't very far behind.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:19 AM

4,909 posts, read 12,539,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
Obviously whoever made the list has never been to Rochester. It is one of the last places in the northeast I would choose to live. Philadephia isn't very far behind.
If you followed the thread? The rankings were based on criteria of the entire metro community. If you don't believe metro Philadlephia is one of the best regions in the country than you simply are not very well -learned. I'm sure the same can be said for metro Rochester.

Heres a small photo collage on the city of Philadlephia. Its a quite spectacular city if I do say so myself. Philadlephia has issues concerning its inner city region but so does every other major city east of the Mississippi.

Guys for the last time Philadlephia is much much closer to Chicago than it is to (no offense) Detroit-Cleveland. Its a thriving vibrant cosmopolitan city. The ignorance concerning this city boggles the imagination.

Top 10 U.S. Cities

Old 05-08-2007, 11:05 AM

14,505 posts, read 23,800,045 times
Boston's lame. Maybe 200 years ago it would have been the 9th mosts liveable, but it's 2007 and things have changed.

Whoever posted this - where are you getting this?- Boston is a beautiful city It has culture and amenities of NY without the crowds and dirty streets

Old 05-08-2007, 11:07 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,468,004 times
How is Boston lame? I think youre dead wrong. Ever been there?

Old 05-08-2007, 11:25 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,798,109 times
Boston is NOT lame. It is, without a doubt, the most historical city in this great nation. That fact alone makes it about as UNlame as a place can be. Boston is truly an awesome joint.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:42 AM

6,490 posts, read 16,181,014 times
Apart from history, Boston is a very LIVABLE city because you can do crazy things such as walk to the market, no car required!!!! OMG imagine that! The history is great, but the built environment encourages walking/biking/transit and gives you all sorts of interesting neighborhoods that offer their own unique activities, restaurants, etc. It's such a tiny city in land area that you can walk across the entire thing quite easily. And with (how many??) universities, there are tons of young people there. Yeah it gets cold in the winter, but really not much colder than other Northeast cities. And the little towns all over eastern Mass and the NH seacoast are enjoyable places to visit too. Definitely not your typical sprawling big-box suburbia (although there are big box areas around too).

Old 05-08-2007, 11:54 AM

792 posts, read 2,905,137 times
If there is one city in the country where you have the best of the best and worst of the worst, it is Boston. I love visiting from New Hampshire and there are several good aforementioned reasons to love Boston and it certainly isn't boring. As a "liveable" city...well I hope you make the big bucks, otherwise I just can't understand why one would want to struggle here with the outrageous cost of living, taxes, crooked and inept politicians (yes it's the greater of all evils nation-wide). This state is a mess in every way California has become accustomed to. And the manners and genuine warmth many hope to find in any area's residents? Oh boy, let's not even get me going down that avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.