U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 06:06 PM

1,418 posts, read 6,382,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Pittsburgh Voted Most Livable City
City Last Earned Title In 1985

POSTED: 9:26 am EDT April 27, 2007

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh is at the top of the list of America's most livable cities.

To come up with the rankings, Rand McNally's "Places Rated Almanac" judges 379 metropolitan areas in nine categories, including cost of living, transportation, jobs and education.

Pittsburghers said they're not surprised their city is taking top honors, reported WPXI-TV.

Mark Foerster, of Swissvale, said, "It's no surprise, there's so much going on. You see the new stadiums, of course PNC Park, Heinz Field, the new Pens Arena. It's just amazing it's taken the world this long to figure out we're No. 1."

The last time Pittsburgh claimed the No. 1 spot was in 1985. The city was 12th in 1999, the last year the rankings were done.

Five of the top 10 cities are in the Northeast, four are on the West Coast and one is in the upper Midwest. None is in the Sunbelt.

The good news for Pittsburgh comes amid recent bleak Census Bureau data that showed about 60,000 people had left the seven-county Pittsburgh metro area from 2000 to 2006.

Only metro areas ravaged by Hurricane Katrina had seen greater declines.

Here are the top 10 most livable cities

1. Pittsburgh

2.San Francisco

3.Seattle, Wash.

4.Portland, Ore.

5.Philadelphia.

6.Rochester, N.Y.

7.Washington, D.C.

8.San Jose-Sunnyvale, Calif.

9.Boston

10.Madison, Wis.
I know a lot of this is relative and subjective, but you have to be very careful about relying on just one set of rankings of metro areas. Most use different methods and weighing of catagories. The best way is to see which areas show up often in different rankings over time. For instance, several areas in this top 10 are extremely expensive places to live, and many would consider this a quality of life factor a high priority (as I would). On this list, Portland and Madison are the only ones I've consistantly seen in different rankings over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 08:29 PM

86,985 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Rawlings:
Quote:
Is this a joke? I MUST know, then, what exactly makes a city liveable. Pittsburgh is a fine city, I suppose, but it's Pittsburgh. If you're hot for grimey steel mills, rude people, and clouds, I guess Pittsburgh is liveable. But for the rest of us?
Clouds, yes. Rude people? no more than average. Grimey (sic) steel mills? The steel industry crashed in ~1980. There are very few working steel mills left there.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:02 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,280,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Rawlings:

Clouds, yes. Rude people? no more than average. Grimey (sic) steel mills? The steel industry crashed in ~1980. There are very few working steel mills left there.
Let him be, we don't need "tourists" like that in Pittsburgh. Keep the roads free and clear for my next visit!

Anyone love Mt Washington as much as me? or Schenley Park?

Old 05-09-2007, 08:31 PM

823 posts, read 3,373,852 times
Quote:
If you followed the thread? The rankings were based on criteria of the entire metro community. If you don't believe metro Philadlephia is one of the best regions in the country than you simply are not very well -learned. I'm sure the same can be said for metro Rochester.

Heres a small photo collage on the city of Philadlephia. Its a quite spectacular city if I do say so myself. Philadlephia has issues concerning its inner city region but so does every other major city east of the Mississippi.

Guys for the last time Philadlephia is much much closer to Chicago than it is to (no offense) Detroit-Cleveland. Its a thriving vibrant cosmopolitan city. The ignorance concerning this city boggles the imagination.

Top 10 U.S. Cities
"Last week, I went to Philadelphia, but it was closed."

"Philadelphia, wonderful town, spent a week there one night"

W. C. Fields (who came from Philadelphia)

Old 05-09-2007, 09:25 PM

4,908 posts, read 12,520,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
"Last week, I went to Philadelphia, but it was closed."

"Philadelphia, wonderful town, spent a week there one night"

W. C. Fields (who came from Philadelphia)
The quotes are pretty humorous but what is more humorous is that someone posting on the internet is old enough to remember WC Fields. LOL my great grandfather told me about this guy. Didn't his death predate Hitlers death, like 75 years ago? Talk about being a little behind the times.

Do a travelocity search and try to find a hotel room in Philly this weekend? Happy searching. 4 weekends in a row that 14,000 hotel rooms have been booked solid.

At any rate Philly is far from closed in the 21st century.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:30 PM

4,908 posts, read 12,520,941 times
WC Fields must be turning over in his grave right about now.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:10 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,389,357 times
Philly does have a great downtown, I must admit. GREAT cheesesteaks too (Genos)! LOL

Old 06-11-2007, 03:38 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,876,772 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh Voted Most Livable City
City Last Earned Title In 1985

POSTED: 9:26 am EDT April 27, 2007

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh is at the top of the list of America's most livable cities.

To come up with the rankings, Rand McNally's "Places Rated Almanac" judges 379 metropolitan areas in nine categories, including cost of living, transportation, jobs and education.

Pittsburghers said they're not surprised their city is taking top honors, reported WPXI-TV.

Mark Foerster, of Swissvale, said, "It's no surprise, there's so much going on. You see the new stadiums, of course PNC Park, Heinz Field, the new Pens Arena. It's just amazing it's taken the world this long to figure out we're No. 1."

The last time Pittsburgh claimed the No. 1 spot was in 1985. The city was 12th in 1999, the last year the rankings were done.

Five of the top 10 cities are in the Northeast, four are on the West Coast and one is in the upper Midwest. None is in the Sunbelt.

The good news for Pittsburgh comes amid recent bleak Census Bureau data that showed about 60,000 people had left the seven-county Pittsburgh metro area from 2000 to 2006.

Only metro areas ravaged by Hurricane Katrina had seen greater declines.

Here are the top 10 most livable cities

1. Pittsburgh

2.San Francisco

3.Seattle, Wash.

4.Portland, Ore.

5.Philadelphia.

6.Rochester, N.Y.

7.Washington, D.C.

8.San Jose-Sunnyvale, Calif.

9.Boston

10.Madison, Wis.
My persoal top 10 "most livable" or cities I would most want to live in/near would be
1) San Francisco
2) Houston
3) New York City
4) Boston
5) Austin
6) Chicago
7) Philadelphia
8) Rochester NY
9) Portland Ore.
10) Pittsburgh
This list only includes larger cities and I have been to all of them as well as pretty much every larger city in the country, visiting at least
I live now in Houston , which is #2 on my list so I guess I am ok

Old 06-11-2007, 03:42 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,876,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviodante View Post
I'm gonna be blunt- someone who prefers Pittsburgh over Phoenix in this day and age either (1) grew up in Pittsburgh, (2) lives for football (Steelers over Cardinals any day or (3) strikes me as the extremely dull-type who is scarred of (a) non-white people, (b) a competitive economy (c) upwardly mobile people.

Sorry, certain things are up for debate (Austin or Seattle?), (San Francisco or New York?), (Omaha or Des Moines), but Pittsburgh can't be compared to Phoenix. I would find someone who preferred, say, Hartford to Denver as boring too.
actually, I think Pittsburgh is superior to Phoenix in every area, except winter weather, Pheonix, as mentioned by other posters IS a dusty, culturless craphole!!!!

Old 06-11-2007, 03:47 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,280,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
actually, I think Pittsburgh is superior to Phoenix in every area, except winter weather, Pheonix, as mentioned by other posters IS a dusty, culturless craphole!!!!
Economies are overrated. I personally find the economy scary, and as the poster above mentioned, there's much to be said for white people, and white bread. I eat my white bread and go to sleep on my white pillow, unless I'm up all night, scared of economic growth.

Richard Florida is a great demographer and economist, but he's also obnoxious. When he left Pittsburgh, he just had to bash it. Note to the guy: buddy, you don't sell books by insulting your readers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.