U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:16 PM

2,389 posts, read 7,772,407 times

Advertisements

I agree 100% with Katiana. No state should be split apart because it would simply add additional state governments that would have to be paid for by a much smaller number of taxpayers. Many or most states are already near broke or barely able to meet budget without slashing one thing or another. Not sure how splitting up states into smaller pieces with fewer residents than a lot of cities in the US would really help things that much.

I think there are a few states that should be combined together so that there would be fewer state government organizations and courts to pay for. Combine the Dakotas into one state. Put WVA back together with VA like they were when VA was established 400 years ago. I would not change any of the original 13 states for historical reasons, but there are a bunch of others that might be candidates for some kind of consolidation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 06:55 AM

354 posts, read 752,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
NY, CA, MI.

Puerto Rico should be admitted as a state, the Carolinas and Dakotas should be combined, Ohio should take Pittsburgh, Massachusettes should eat Connecticut and Rhode Island, Vermont and New Hampshire should combine, and Texas should become its own country.
I used to think it was stupid that Vermont and New Hampshire weren't states (They just fit together so perfectly on a map). Until I lived in New Hampshire and it is very different from Vermont. I think this is because the only sensible way for most of the country into NH is through Mass. An old timer was telling me that this has its roots in colonial times. When New England was first being settled the people in power at the time wanted to keep Boston as the center of the economy. Portsmouth NH was a threat to this so the roads in NH almost always were built North to South. Towns and regions grew North to South because of this and today there are a whole lot more North-South roads then East-West rodes up there. Massachusetts has affected New Hampshire in a lot of ways over the years. Vermont has been influenced a lot by New York, Quebec and the rest of New England.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:02 AM

354 posts, read 752,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I agree 100% with Katiana. No state should be split apart because it would simply add additional state governments that would have to be paid for by a much smaller number of taxpayers. Many or most states are already near broke or barely able to meet budget without slashing one thing or another. Not sure how splitting up states into smaller pieces with fewer residents than a lot of cities in the US would really help things that much.

I think there are a few states that should be combined together so that there would be fewer state government organizations and courts to pay for. Combine the Dakotas into one state. Put WVA back together with VA like they were when VA was established 400 years ago. I would not change any of the original 13 states for historical reasons, but there are a bunch of others that might be candidates for some kind of consolidation.
I think that States would benefit from being broken up because more people with common needs would be placed with other people with the same needs. You wouldn't have fewer regions making decisions that hurt a different region of the same state. Example is Pennsylvania - Gun control makes a lot more sense in Eastern Pa then in the rest of the state. Also remember when these state were formed they had tiny populations. A lot of the Western States are huge just so they could get enough people to qualify for statehood. People would have better access to their elected officials if they lived in small states.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:09 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,825,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 3000 View Post
I think Georgia should be split, with Metro Atlanta becoming it own state, then we could dictate how we spend our own money seeing how we contribute 70% of GA's sales tax dollars and only get 40% back from the state.
I agree that Altanta gets screwed financially. It also gets screwed politically. I have many friends from Altanta and I hear stories about how the rest of the state is over represented in state government at the expense of greater Atlanta's voice.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:29 AM

87,024 posts, read 102,689,903 times
The rural areas always claim they are being screwed by the cities; the cities always claim they are being screwed by the rural areas; perhaps it's a draw.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:08 PM

767 posts, read 1,829,242 times
States that could be split apart:

CA (NoCal and SoCal)
Michigan (Lower Michigan and UP)
Florida (Panhandle/Old South Part and Rest of State)
Kentucky (Western and Eastern)
TN (Western and Eastern)
New Orleans needs to be its own independent city and doesn't fit in well being located in a conservative southern state. It has its own vibe, its own dialect, and just doen't belong where its at geographically.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:15 PM

767 posts, read 1,829,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolshundle View Post
Illinois.

Northern Illinois: Chicagoland + Rockford (everything north of I-80) should be a separate state from the rest of Illinois.

Completely different culturally, economically, and politically. The rural areas of Wisconsin have more in common culturally with Chicago than the rural areas of Illinois.
Downstate IL would be in a world of sh** without the Chicagoland tax base.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:18 PM

1,629 posts, read 4,860,497 times
Florida... there is a huge political difference between North and South.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:20 PM

3 posts, read 6,295 times
Texas, it's like 4 different states

Old 10-16-2009, 10:17 AM

21,208 posts, read 30,427,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
It seems that the state just wishes Philly would separate already and join New Jersey
Actually it's more the other way around. Philly has nothing in common with the rest of the state. The fact that it has to beg to get state funding while supplying two thirds of the state's revenue makes the begging process rather ridiculous. I would love to see how the remainder of the state's bumpkins does without all of that cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or