U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 09:52 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,547,792 times

Advertisements

DC residents do not want to retrocede to MD!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 08:48 PM

6,523 posts, read 7,477,679 times
How about splitting metro Detoilet off from Michigan. We might actually have a chance if we could cut off that dead weight.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:18 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,040,673 times
Canada.

Many states could be created by breaking it up.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:06 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,154,332 times
Southeast Wisconsin, Northeast Illinois, and Northwest Indiana should combine into one state called Williana (Wisconsin-Illinois-Indiana).

Old 02-17-2010, 09:50 AM

34,706 posts, read 33,724,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
It is a big mess, in general. You have nation sized states like California or Texas, and states with barely over half million people like Wyoming. You have states like NY where the downstate part (NYC, Long Island) have NOTHING in common with upstate areas. You have states like NJ which is not really a state in itself, more like a bedroom for the adjacent metro areas. If I were the dictator of the US, I would there a ton of changes I could make (break up CA, TX, FL, NY, merge Dakotas etc).
If I was NJ I'd tax NY for placing its teams in my state and calling them the NY so and sos. I'd call it an "encroachment fee." Ditto Maryland and the DC teams/concerts.

We have to assess whether it would be easier to sell California to China to pay off our debt as a big lump of a state or one that was sliced up.

Why would we break up any other state? I thought we were fans of diversity and tolerance including diversity and tolerance of ideas ?

Old 02-19-2010, 08:14 PM

3,798 posts, read 8,177,181 times
I think Michigan is kind of weird. What's up with the UP? Why not just make it Wisconsin, or it's own state, I think they want it to be Superior.

It's kind of odd that I live in MN and I can get to Michigan quicker than ND, SD, and IA, and Canada.

I think Texas could be split in 4. There are parts that are odd to think of being in the same state. Like what does Dallas, El Paso, and Houston have in common?

What about Florida? To me it seems odd to think of Miami and Pensacola as being the same state.

What about New York? I think it's unique to watch the 'inner state' games played between the JETS and BILLS.

What about Cali? San Diego and Redding have almost nothing in common.

Who ever said ND and SD should be the same is wrong. They are a state that should be split... ND is much different than SD.

Illinois probably could be.

MN could be split in half at about the ND -SD border.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:33 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,194,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I think Michigan is kind of weird. What's up with the UP? Why not just make it Wisconsin, or it's own state, I think they want it to be Superior.

It's kind of odd that I live in MN and I can get to Michigan quicker than ND, SD, and IA, and Canada.

I think Texas could be split in 4. There are parts that are odd to think of being in the same state. Like what does Dallas, El Paso, and Houston have in common?

What about Florida? To me it seems odd to think of Miami and Pensacola as being the same state.

What about New York? I think it's unique to watch the 'inner state' games played between the JETS and BILLS.

What about Cali? San Diego and Redding have almost nothing in common.

Who ever said ND and SD should be the same is wrong. They are a state that should be split... ND is much different than SD.

Illinois probably could be.

MN could be split in half at about the ND -SD border.
i'm opposed to merging states for the most part, but what are the big differences between North Dakota and South Dakota? North Dakota seems slightly more rural with slightly worse weather.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:26 AM

22,341 posts, read 32,197,706 times
In some ways I would say add Philly and the four surrounding counties into NJ, no new state required just a new line on the map

Old 02-20-2010, 04:29 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,194,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
In some ways I would say add Philly and the four surrounding counties into NJ, no new state required just a new line on the map
I was hoping we could pawn Camden County off to Pennsylvania

In seriousness though, New Jersey annexing Philadelphia would probably do the state a fair bit of good, as Newark would no longer be the largest city and NJ would at last have a nationally-respected city (Which Camden, Newark, Trenton, and Paterson are not - for good reason), but I imagine it would do some harm to Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh and some in central Pennsylvania might be happy. It would shift things in the state in an interesting way.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:32 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,754,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I wouldnt mind adding Philly its an excellent city, but the Northeast states are just perfect how they are, why mess with perfection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or