U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 08:40 AM

101 posts, read 110,066 times
Default looking for our idea of paradise

Hi Everyone,

My Husband and I have relocated several times over the past 10 years. We have lived in Las Vegas, NW Montana, WNY and we are currently in Tucson, AZ. None of these places have been our idea of paradise.

Our idea of paradise would be a place with grass and mature trees, mild winters, good schools, steady economy with lots of jobs in the Call Center industry, lakes and streams nearby for fishing and summer fun at the beach, no bugs that you have to worry about (we currently have scorpion and termite issues), primarily an English speaking community and a reasonable cost of living.

So if your city/ town meets these standards post so we can check it out.

Thanks,
Jenn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 01:25 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,752,624 times
I think the reason you haven't found your idea of paradise is because you're asking for too much out of a place. I can't think of anywhere that meets all your criteria. If you tell us which criteria are the most important and which you could live without, that would be a lot easier.

Example: You say you want mature trees and no bugs. Mature trees would most likely be found somewhere humid which means there would be bugs.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:48 PM

I don't have a problem with some of the more common and harmless bugs. I just don't want to live anywhere that you can have this wonderful green yard but you can't go out and play on it because of bugs like scorpions, chiggers and any other insect that will hurt you. I also am very tired of having to wear shoes inside at all times for fear of stepping on a scorpion.

I realize that I'm asking alot but that is why I consider the criteria my, our paradise.

It's been very hard to find that place, the hubby comes from Texas and he doesn't handle the cold winters very well and I come from WNY and I don't handle the heat too well.

Thanks,
Jenn

Old 10-13-2009, 05:03 PM

4,947 posts, read 5,957,381 times
That's a pretty tough list.
Maybe around the Knoxville area, except for the beach, and the bugs. Always going to have bugs, spiders and ticks and such, but not to the point that most people can't enjoy their own yard. I don't know of anyplace where jobs are plentiful right now, but I don't think Knoxville has been hit as hard as a lot of other areas.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:34 PM

3,178 posts, read 3,624,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenmar1024 View Post
Hi Everyone,

My Husband and I have relocated several times over the past 10 years. We have lived in Las Vegas, NW Montana, WNY and we are currently in Tucson, AZ. None of these places have been our idea of paradise.

Our idea of paradise would be a place with grass and mature trees, mild winters, good schools, steady economy with lots of jobs in the Call Center industry, lakes and streams nearby for fishing and summer fun at the beach, no bugs that you have to worry about (we currently have scorpion and termite issues), primarily an English speaking community and a reasonable cost of living.

So if your city/ town meets these standards post so we can check it out.

Thanks,
Jenn
I'm not sure where to look for you either; however, just to clarify a few things. I cannot vouch for all of the things you are looking for, but Tucson has mild winters, lots of call center jobs, few bugs (I've seen one scorpion here since '93) and although many people do speak Spanish, there are more who live here who are English-only speakers followed by bilingual (English and Spanish) - you're going to find that in many places these days.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I'm not sure where to look for you either; however, just to clarify a few things. I cannot vouch for all of the things you are looking for, but Tucson has mild winters, lots of call center jobs, few bugs (I've seen one scorpion here since '93) and although many people do speak Spanish, there are more who live here who are English-only speakers followed by bilingual (English and Spanish) - you're going to find that in many places these days.

I will give that Tucson has it's moments, the winters are mild and we do have family near by and yes there are plently of Call Centers here but the summers are too hot for me and i'm so happy that you have only seen 1 scorpion in what 16 years but we have been here for just over 3 years and have found no less that 23 in our house alone. We've also had a snake find it's way into our daughters room. We spray every 3 months so luckily they are practically dead when we find them but I hate them and i'm sick of finding them in our home.

There are no lawns here, unless you have a small fortune to pay for it or live in a community that has them. We live in a nice community that is roughly 10 years old and the only grass to speak of is pretty nonexistant. There is also no water here. I grew up on Lake Erie, beaches and boating was a 30 min drive, here it's hours away.

Tucson does have things going for it, i'm not saying it's a bad place. It's just not for us.

Jenn

Old 10-13-2009, 07:15 PM

3,178 posts, read 3,624,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenmar1024 View Post
I will give that Tucson has it's moments, the winters are mild and we do have family near by and yes there are plently of Call Centers here but the summers are too hot for me and i'm so happy that you have only seen 1 scorpion in what 16 years but we have been here for just over 3 years and have found no less that 23 in our house alone. We've also had a snake find it's way into our daughters room. We spray every 3 months so luckily they are practically dead when we find them but I hate them and i'm sick of finding them in our home.

There are no lawns here, unless you have a small fortune to pay for it or live in a community that has them. We live in a nice community that is roughly 10 years old and the only grass to speak of is pretty nonexistant. There is also no water here. I grew up on Lake Erie, beaches and boating was a 30 min drive, here it's hours away.

Tucson does have things going for it, i'm not saying it's a bad place. It's just not for us.

Jenn
Having grown up in the Chicago area, I definitely miss the water, but not the winters. I guess I am fortunate that I've only seen one scorpion since I've been here. What part of Tucson do you live in?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:46 PM

5,974 posts, read 3,044,719 times
You may want to check out the Richmond VA area, I think it may meet your needs.

Richmond Travel Guide- RMCVB- Richmond Virginia Travel Information, VA Tourism

Old 10-13-2009, 08:57 PM

380 posts, read 634,025 times
What is "reasonable"?

I agree with Daily, Richmond is an option; Va, WV, Southern PA may work. Mild winters, few deadly animals or bugs, not too far to the beaches, but narrowing it down is very dependent on where specifically you would work, and how much you have to spend on housing.
I'm in the eastern panhandle of WV and I think we have a good mix of what you describe. Four distinct seasons, but none too harsh; rivers, streams & public hunting, appalachian trail; day trip to DC; high paying jobs within an easy commute in Northern Va & the DC suburbs; low taxes and WV freedoms.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:59 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,549,757 times
New England has mature trees, beaches, good schools not too many bugs and some access to jobs (hard to find that one anywhere). However the northeast is expensive, and i wouldnt call their winters mild. The midwest is economically devestated, and winters are very cold and harsh. Anywhere south of the Ohio river has lots of bugs and snakes, but availability of jobs is better. You will never find everything you want in a place, so you will have to compromise what you want. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.