Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:33 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Stony Brook, Long Island.
They already stated they wanted to get AWAY from high property taxes. Stony Brook would be like going from the frying pan straight into the fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 03:32 PM

86 posts, read 302,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
They already stated they wanted to get AWAY from high property taxes. Stony Brook would be like going from the frying pan straight into the fire.

lol, thanks

Old 10-14-2009, 03:36 PM

86 posts, read 302,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Many of the houses listed as 'Avondale Estates' on the MLS are actually located outside the city limits (zip 30002), particularly if it's new construction. Most of the city itself was developed in the 1920's.
Decatur's available housing stock does tend to turn a bit faster these days, since it has a stronger school system (not a problem for you, I see).
It's not to say that there aren't some good options in the unincorporated parts of Avondale. My realtor and her partner live there and love it.
It sounds very charming.

Are you originally from this area? Wondering if 2 Jersey gals would fit in...how's the food/restaurants? shopping? entertainment/social life? job market?

Again appreciate the info

Old 10-14-2009, 07:52 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njerzygrl View Post
It sounds very charming.

Are you originally from this area? Wondering if 2 Jersey gals would fit in...how's the food/restaurants? shopping? entertainment/social life? job market?

Again appreciate the info
Yes, I am a native. There are a lot of Northeasterners in this community; you would be just fine. This is a very vibrant community, with plenty of what you list here.
Job market? The unemployment rate is around 10% in the Atlanta area, so we're suffering like anyone else. There are four major hospitals in the Decatur area, however; DeKalb Medical Center, Emory, Egleston Children's and the VA Hospital. There are several more within 45 minutes of here.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:08 PM

93,276 posts, read 123,898,066 times
A sleeper is Ferndale MI. Actually, the Woodward Corridor of Oakland County, just outside of Detroit would be fine. Some other communities in that area that would fit are: Royal Oak, Berkley, Huntington Woods and Pleasant Ridge.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:31 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
If you'd consider Northampton, MA, the Jamaica Plain and Roslindale sections of the city of Boston are lesbian-friendly, but your price range would likely yield a condo instead of a house. But they're near Boston's medical mecca. Cambridge and Somerville (maybe Arlington also) would be gay-friendly, but again, expensive, but maybe not more than Northern Jersey.

Newburyport, 40 miles north of Boston, is cultured and pretty, along the Merrimac River; I'd think lesbians would be welcomed by most.

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 10-18-2009 at 01:36 AM.. Reason: misspell

Old 10-21-2009, 10:41 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njerzygrl View Post
Both of us life long residents of NJ, seriously considering leaving NJ due to the killer property taxes.

What we are looking for

-Decent weather, at least no worse than what we have in NJ. Warm climate would be a bonus.

- Affordable housing, low crime rate, and near a major Hospital (1 of us is an RN). Suburban setting with big city and beach/ocean nearby would be great. Kind of like what we have here in NJ, minus the political corruption.

We are both white, and would prefer a white community. We live in a predominantly Asian community now and feel very left out.

We would be willing to spend 250k - 350k on housing, and are looking to purchase a 2 BR/2BA home. Neither of us have school age children, so school system is not a consideration.

Any suggestions?
Well, when I first saw the thread title, I was going to suggest New Jersey. Then I read your post!

Old 10-21-2009, 05:53 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, when I first saw the thread title, I was going to suggest New Jersey. Then I read your post!
LOL sometimes you just have to click your heels together three times and say, "There's no place like home..."

Old 10-23-2009, 08:13 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
LOL sometimes you just have to click your heels together three times and say, "There's no place like home..."
It's just that I know a lot of gay people in northern New Jersey and no one seems to think much about it anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.