U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:41 AM

86 posts, read 265,204 times

Advertisements

Both of us life long residents of NJ, seriously considering leaving NJ due to the killer property taxes.

What we are looking for

-Decent weather, at least no worse than what we have in NJ. Warm climate would be a bonus.

- Affordable housing, low crime rate, and near a major Hospital (1 of us is an RN). Suburban setting with big city and beach/ocean nearby would be great. Kind of like what we have here in NJ, minus the political corruption.

We are both white, and would prefer a white community. We live in a predominantly Asian community now and feel very left out.

We would be willing to spend 250k - 350k on housing, and are looking to purchase a 2 BR/2BA home. Neither of us have school age children, so school system is not a consideration.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 01:00 PM

388 posts, read 1,437,886 times
What about Atlanta?

Old 10-13-2009, 09:33 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,961,646 times
One site indicates Santa Fe is good for older lesbians. I think New Mexico's economy is okay for the current Southwest. Although New Mexico doesn't recognize any same-sex unions or partnerships unlike Florida they have no Constitutional Amendment against doing so. (Most of the other places that site listed were in Florida) At least no amendment yet anyway. Santa Fe is plurality Hispanic though and I don't know the property tax rate.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:31 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,123,537 times
Atlanta, GA or Durham/Chapel Hill, NC.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:22 AM

1,125 posts, read 4,102,893 times
Northampton, MA. Lesbiantown USA.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:54 AM

23,058 posts, read 35,020,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
Northampton, MA. Lesbiantown USA.
The Atlanta suburb of Decatur, GA is often referred to as the the 'Northampton of the South'.
It is second only to Northampton in the US when measuring female same-sex couples living together as a % of the population.
Both are home to womens' colleges: Northampton to Smith, Decatur to Agnes Scott.
The community of Avondale Estates (adjacent to Decatur) also has a large lesbian community.

City of Decatur, GA

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

The City of Avondale Estates :: HOME

Last edited by Yac; 11-19-2009 at 06:09 AM..

Old 10-14-2009, 08:28 AM

927 posts, read 1,911,815 times
Lol, I never made the connection between Agnes Scott and Decatur being a lesbian hotspot.

I was actually going to suggest Atlanta, and the Decatur suburb specifically. Truly anecdotal, but I bought my home from a lesbian couple who moved to Decatur.

With that price range, you have a lot of choices in Atlanta, especially since you're only looking for a 2 BD/ 2 BA. You can find a single family home in the city of Decatur, Avondale Estates (which was also going to be my other suggestion) and a number of east Atlanta neighborhoods that are all open to diversity. Most of these intown neighborhoods are predominately white, given their price points.

Emory Medical Center (ranked in US News listing of America's best hospitals) and DeKalb Medical Center are both in Decatur, while Grady (THE hub for emergency care in the southeast) is about 10-15 minutes away and just a few stops down by rail.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:49 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,236,781 times
Stony Brook, Long Island.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:57 AM

86 posts, read 265,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Lol, I never made the connection between Agnes Scott and Decatur being a lesbian hotspot.

I was actually going to suggest Atlanta, and the Decatur suburb specifically. Truly anecdotal, but I bought my home from a lesbian couple who moved to Decatur.

With that price range, you have a lot of choices in Atlanta, especially since you're only looking for a 2 BD/ 2 BA. You can find a single family home in the city of Decatur, Avondale Estates (which was also going to be my other suggestion) and a number of east Atlanta neighborhoods that are all open to diversity. Most of these intown neighborhoods are predominately white, given their price points.

Emory Medical Center (ranked in US News listing of America's best hospitals) and DeKalb Medical Center are both in Decatur, while Grady (THE hub for emergency care in the southeast) is about 10-15 minutes away and just a few stops down by rail.

Thanks for all the info.

I looked online at some of the homes for sale at the Avondale Estates. Definitely more bang for the buck then you get in NJ.

I did notice quite a few homes for sale though...is there a reason that so many homes are for sale in that location?

Appreciate any info.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:22 AM

23,058 posts, read 35,020,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njerzygrl View Post
Thanks for all the info.

I looked online at some of the homes for sale at the Avondale Estates. Definitely more bang for the buck then you get in NJ.

I did notice quite a few homes for sale though...is there a reason that so many homes are for sale in that location?

Appreciate any info.
Many of the houses listed as 'Avondale Estates' on the MLS are actually located outside the city limits (zip 30002), particularly if it's new construction. Most of the city itself was developed in the 1920's.
Decatur's available housing stock does tend to turn a bit faster these days, since it has a stronger school system (not a problem for you, I see).
It's not to say that there aren't some good options in the unincorporated parts of Avondale. My realtor and her partner live there and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or