U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2007, 08:08 PM

11 posts, read 43,123 times

Advertisements

We bought a house to be built in Indian Land SC ; I wonder if anyone that is relocating had any experience with movers. We now live in Northern Virginia and many people tell us that the cost of moving furniture is not worth it. I honestly cannot see myself selling everything and start from scratch. Does anyone has an opinion or experience on the matter? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 11:00 PM

549 posts, read 2,189,748 times
Hi Annemarie

Congratulations on your new home purchase. Some people who move from one state to another rent a truck from "Budget", "Uhaul", or "Penske" to name a few. Their multiple locations across the country let people book the vehicle for a "one-way rental". They also offer different sizes ranging from a van to truck depending on the amount of furnished rooms your current house has. Hope this helps.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:20 AM

Default Moving to Indian Land SC

Thanks Anigirli for your answer. The real problem is that because of my husband back injury, it will be totally impossible for us to do it ourselves. Friends are offering to help us on the Virginia side but what would happen in SC?

Old 05-08-2007, 05:25 AM

5,127 posts, read 10,257,406 times
You should be able to find someone to help you unload. If you hire a couple of "strong guys", shoudn't take longer than a few hours and it should be cheaper than buying all new furniture.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:02 AM

531 posts, read 1,865,269 times
When we moved I called several larger moving companies to get quotes. They did not charge for this. I got quotes anywhere from $3000 to $9000 to move from CT to NC. I also went onto the Better Business Bureau website to check out the comopanies and to see if they had claims against them. In the end I paid $3200 to move a whole house over 800 miles. It was worth every penny. They set up all of my furniture when we arrived at our new house. I only had to empty the boxes! Best of luck on your move and welcome to the area! Indian Land is beautiful!

Old 05-08-2007, 03:26 PM

Thank you very much Dandevder, your information is very helpful. Someone had told me that I had to expect paying at least $10K and I was worried sick. I am reassured by your experience and I am going to start calling around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.