U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:00 AM

4,270 posts, read 13,967,409 times

Advertisements

Well, if you dog on someone's city of course you're going to get offended. You know how the saying goes: you don't poo (replace with stronger expletive) where you eat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 11:09 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,766,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Well, if you dog on someone's city of course you're going to get offended. You know how the saying goes: you don't poo (replace with stronger expletive) where you eat!
You have a point. If people could just say that they simply weren't fond of a certain city without going on to ignorant statements, stereotypes, and generalizations, these forums would flow much nicer.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:58 PM

86,987 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
I think people are primarily offended when others make rude, uncalled for remarks that are meant only to insult and offend
If only that were true, this forum would run smoothly. On some forums, people get offended even if you tell the truth. If city X is losing population, they will argue that it isn't, etc. Some want you to think the streets of their city are paved with gold, and if you say, "well, that wasn't my experience there", they get all angry. I have found some of the biggest insulters to be on the "pro" side; they try to insult those who disagree with them.

Quote:
I dont have a problem with people defending their areas, BUT, they better bring the facts to the table
I agree completely.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:39 AM

23,629 posts, read 33,413,509 times
personally, i do tend to get offended when someone bashes my hometown. Hampton, VA gets a lot of bashes a lot of it unwarrented. At least when i defend my city i have school scores and crime lists to back it up.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:48 AM

353 posts, read 378,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I was wondering why so many people seem to get so offended when one offers opinions on the state that they do not like?

No opinion in my opinion is objective but there seems to alot of people who tend to think their opinion is superior to others.

My favorite is when one gives the excuse well you just dont live in the right area of town and your opinion is skewed. I think thats a given and in my personal opinion the neighborhood people live in skews people's opinion of
the city or state they live in.

Anyway, Being from Colorado I love Denver but I like reading other people's opinions on Denver and the experiences and opinions they have in the area in which they live or lived. Some people absolutely loathe Denver and some people love it but I enjoy reading all the opinions people have.

Does any one else here think people seem to get way too offended when one is critical of the city or state in which they live?
People get way too weird about their hometowns. I don't get it. This forum is so fun because you really learn what people think of your town--good and bad. I would advise folks to lighten up a bit.

With that said, a native city is an inextricable component of a person's identity. We anthromorphize cities because, for us, they are like family. To write something negative about one's hometown is like writing something negative about someone's family, or worse, they themselves. That would explain the heated passion people have for their hometowns.

Ironically, there is not the same phenomenon with one's adopted city. People do not have for places they move to.

Another thing, it seems that people get most upset when people from OTHER cities cut down their hometown. If some native Denverite wants to knock on Denver I really don't mind. But if some guy from Chicago or Boston or something knocks on it--then I get upset.

Weird.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:04 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,280,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
If I was a dog, I'd poo on Columbus, Ohio.
I don't eat Wendy's anymore, so it would not bother me.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:59 AM

4 posts, read 65,727 times
It's always like that: we allow ourselfs to tell different,even bad things about our country,or state.But only to ourselves, not to others. We can become really angry with smbody if he's critical abou our country.Watever happens, we're proud of our birthplace and we love it. And when smone starts to critisize it, we get offended.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:43 AM

9,324 posts, read 23,794,610 times
Well I hate my hometown and hope it gets cleaned out by a hurricane. I would like to find a place I could actually WANT to defend!

Old 05-10-2007, 09:06 AM

60 posts, read 255,041 times
Depends on how u present an opinion. Some posters are laid back, aimable, & nonthreatening. They are helpful & sharing information. Others are angry, want to shake things up in a negative way, or r bugged about something. I like a middle of the road responses. If it is too inflamed I skip over & do not bother reading.Do not like taking on other's angst if it does not involve me. No point in reading angry posts if I know I can not change someone's life stance. That is me online, could be different out in real life. I suspect we are all different on-line than from how we might respond in person.

I chuckle when some get angry about a certain municipality or region, & then go off topic on a tangent about spelling and grammar.

Botttomline: I do not see the point in getting angry re: a posting, life is too short, got other things to tend too. Like to keep positive.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:12 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,766,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alido View Post

I chuckle when some get angry about a certain municipality or region, & then go off topic on a tangent about spelling and grammar.
I think everyone laughs at that, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or