U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:14 AM

1,965 posts, read 5,791,156 times

Advertisements

Austin. Portland. Denver. Minneapolis. None are as affordable as you want, but they are much cheaper than San Francisco, Seattle, etc. Dallas is actually getting decently progressive and isn't that expensive. You can find strong pockets of progressive areas in a lot of cities (atlanta, houston). The problem is your request in some sense is too broad. Further, you expectation of expense just isn't realistic.
Cities to avoid? If expense is a concern, avoid NYC, Boston, SF, Seattle, LA.
Politics? Most southern cities outside of the ones mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 09:40 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,982,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post

Lets hear a few more suggestions.

I want to know which cities I should avoid.
Well if warm, progressive, and cheap is desired I guess you'd want to avoid cold, conservative, and expensive. So avoid Anchorage (I don't know if it's that conservative, but it's cold and Kiplinger lists it as expensive)

Kiplinger's Complete City Rankings for 2009: See How Your City Ranks, Search Places for Lowest Cost of Living and Higest Income Growth

The most expensive liberal/progressive cities, according to that, are

NYC - They don't seem to list it for some reason
Honolulu
The Bay Area cities
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy
Burlington, Vermont
Portland, Oregon
Providence, Rhode Island
Flagstaff, Arizona
Sacramento
Seattle

Considering the person wanted warm I think Honolulu and Flagstaff would've been the only one they'd have considered anyway. Maybe Sacramento. Flagstaff is more expensive than I thought if Kiplinger's correct.

Cities Kiplinger list at or below average expense, that I believe are warm too, include

Atlanta, Georgia
Austin, Texas
Gainesville, Florida (I think someone above said it's progressive)
Pueblo, Colorado (Not really warm, sunny but with above average snowfall it seems)
Santa Fe, New Mexico

There seems to be some cheap liberal small-cities in Iowa, but that's cooler than desired.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 10-16-2009 at 09:51 AM..

Old 10-17-2009, 08:45 PM

29 posts, read 131,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'd recommend Durham, NC.

There are some great areas in East Durham (aka nice ghettos) that are undergoing gentrification and fixing up. This Old House Magazine named East Durham as a Best Old House neighborhood this year.
East Durham, North Carolina | Best Old House Neighborhoods 2009: The South | Photos | Home & Real Estate | This Old House

Durham is quite green (in all senses), liberal/progressive and bike friendly/walkable. Transit is okay which might be the trade off. Your "liberal redneck country roots" would fit right in. Central NC also enjoys a mild four season climate with about three months of each season. It's also midway between the mountains and the beach, about 2 hours to either. I lived in Durham for 5 years and really would like to move back at some point. The East Durham neighborhood really offers up some great housing opportunity in terms of quality of house and investment.

I also stumbled across this information as well:

Bull City Bungalow: Cleveland-Holloway Neighborhood (http://www.bullcitybungalow.com/2009/04/cleveland-holloway-neighborhood.html - broken link)
The Cleveland-Holloway Neighborhood
Bull City Rising (http://www.bullcityrising.com/ - broken link)

Good luck!

Durham looks like it could possibly be a winner!! Thanks for the info. As far as crime goes, are there any areas (from your experience) that would be really bad to live in? On realtor.com, there are many houses in my price range in the 27701 and 27703 zip codes...so I'm gonna check those areas out more.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:48 PM

29 posts, read 131,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post

Lets hear a few more suggestions.

I want to know which cities I should avoid.
LOL. You'd rather live in an expensive, sprawling city with lots of pollution?

Thanks everyone for all the ideas, I really appreciate it.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:38 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,498,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Well if warm, progressive, and cheap is desired I guess you'd want to avoid cold, conservative, and expensive. So avoid Anchorage (I don't know if it's that conservative, but it's cold and Kiplinger lists it as expensive)

Kiplinger's Complete City Rankings for 2009: See How Your City Ranks, Search Places for Lowest Cost of Living and Higest Income Growth

The most expensive liberal/progressive cities, according to that, are

NYC - They don't seem to list it for some reason
Honolulu
The Bay Area cities
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy
Burlington, Vermont
Portland, Oregon
Providence, Rhode Island
Flagstaff, Arizona
Sacramento
Seattle

Considering the person wanted warm I think Honolulu and Flagstaff would've been the only one they'd have considered anyway. Maybe Sacramento. Flagstaff is more expensive than I thought if Kiplinger's correct.

Cities Kiplinger list at or below average expense, that I believe are warm too, include

Atlanta, Georgia
Austin, Texas
Gainesville, Florida (I think someone above said it's progressive)
Pueblo, Colorado (Not really warm, sunny but with above average snowfall it seems)
Santa Fe, New Mexico

There seems to be some cheap liberal small-cities in Iowa, but that's cooler than desired.
Gainesville is home to the Univ of Fla. It is some distance to other Metro areas. It is not a very big city and it is completely dominated by the Univ. Some 50,000 students make up close to half that city's population. One would really have to be comfortable with that fact to live there.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:38 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,689,292 times
For what it's worth, Burt's Bees line of skin products, shampoos, etc. seems progreesive and pro-environment, anti-animal cruelty -- and the labels states it's based in Durham, NC!

As far as Gainesviile, one penpal told me about 10. yrs. ago that it's the only city in Florida he'd live -- that the rest of that state has a pall of death surrounding it. Recently I spoke to a 20-something educated gal who grew up in Gainesviile; she claims it's not very sophisticated?/too parochial? (can't recall her exact words), but she did delight in its easy access to nature.

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 10-17-2009 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 10-17-2009, 11:45 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,586,165 times
Santa Rosa, CA
Norbay, 140k pop...

congressional district

California's 6th congressional district - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-18-2009, 04:22 AM

9,470 posts, read 12,321,769 times
Default Your Green Heaven........

Quote:
Originally Posted by solardream View Post
I would LOVE some help in choosing a place to move to. I currently live in a reeeallly small Kansas town, but I need to get out!! What places should I check out? Here is my wish list:

-Affordable!! I mean...as frickin cheap as possible, especially real estate.
-Low crime rate. My ideal is to buy a cheap house (less than $50,000) in the ghetto. But I want to live in a city where the ghetto isn't THAT bad as far as crime goes.
-VERY VERY walkable and bike-friendly with good public transit (preferably a rail system that connects to other cities too!)
-Population around 100,000
-Nice weather (no extremes)
-Lots of trees, parks, hills, and rivers/lakes/waterways are always a plus
-Progressive/liberal atmosphere, but not pretentious. I'm still a chick with redneck, country roots after all....
-Friendly people!

I know that no place is gotta fit the bill perfectly, but I'm hoping to find something close.

I've already considered plenty of places in Oregon, please give me some other (warmer and cheaper) ideas!

Thanks!
100,000 people and Progressive and Low Crime and RAIL.....Ditto
O.K......Santa Fe New Mexico
Flagstaff Arizona
Victorville Cali or Redland Cali

Old 10-18-2009, 11:26 PM

28 posts, read 250,570 times
Lightbulb You Might Want to try....

Tucson,Az
Lots of creative types around Univ. of Arizona, beautiful mountains,hiking, inexpensive apartments,coffeehouses, festivals, liberals, hippie-types, and most people who live near Univ. of Arizona bike to work...other cities close by ...like Marana, Oro Valley...are not bikable and you will run into A LOT of work traffic around 2pm!

hope this helps!

Old 12-14-2009, 08:46 AM

5 posts, read 18,010 times
In Durham, NC. the Cleveland-Holloway neighborhood is in 27701 and has a very active neighborhood association that has helped new and old residents form a cohesive whole.

The Cleveland-Holloway Neighborhood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or