U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 10:06 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,321,604 times

Advertisements

Denver came to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 11:24 AM

5,861 posts, read 14,068,841 times
In the Midwest:

Madison, WI
Iowa City, IA
Duluth, MN (a bit more socially conservative than the above, but just as blue politically)

Old 01-09-2010, 06:52 PM

13 posts, read 31,345 times
I lived in Gainesville, FL for 8 years (FINALLY moved 2 yrs ago). NOT liberal in mindset and the people in general, are rather pretentious. You'd probably like the weather (gets VERY hot in summer though) and they are trying to make it bike friendly, plus there is a bus system in place. Lots of trees and state parks (the local springs are amazing) nearby. But UF dominates the town, there are no jobs there now, property prices (IMO) are expensive (not as compared to CA, but compared to the rest of the south). Mid-range crime, I guess. About avg for it's size. I didn't like it and have finally moved out. In AL now which I like much better, though still has it's own set of issues. Facts of life, right? lol Best of luck on your search!

Old 01-09-2010, 07:11 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,039,316 times
I'm not to crazy about the place, but if you like redneck, Saint Louis may be a good place for you.

Weather is a bit crazy. Its bitter cold right nowm but I guess almost 2/3 od the country is in a similar bind.

Its dirt cheap to live here.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:33 PM

2,449 posts, read 4,818,974 times
Atlanta is not really progressive in the ways mentioned, and Santa Rosa is very far from cheap.
Talking about inter-city rail, that's pretty restricted to the northeast. However, places outside of the NE can have urban planning that makes it easy to get around in without a car (transit within the city, walkable/bikeable).
I'm actually looking for similar things as you in some ways, but will be restricted by jobs and such. Also, its true that many of those traits tend to be contradictory in the US.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:39 PM

5,722 posts, read 8,785,833 times
I'm trying to figure out if Knoxville is worthy of consideration.

On the plus side -
great parks, greenery, rivers, streams.
Good weather (most of the time)
Good affordable ghettos
friendly & unpretentious

????
Transit? it's there. Some areas are walkable but mostly car centric. Lots of freight trains - ever considered becoming a hobo?

Not considered "progressive" but you'll find people and policies that fit in that category.

May be bigger than you'd like.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:12 PM

989 posts, read 1,933,654 times
I'm tossing out a curve.....

It's not quite there yet, but more of a "the ball is rolling and it could be ready to come out in 5-10 years" type of city...Pittsburgh. Yes it is old, yes it has its fair share of ruban blight and the whole rust belt stigmatism attatched to it, but it's made some large strides within the last decade or so and has a good future outlook. It's more of a "oh crap...the city died and we need to clean it up and do something" type of awakening that's leading to green development and an overall facelift for the city. It's very similar to what's happened with Nashville recently with it's makeover, but obviously not quite as far along. Industry souly focuses on education and health care anymore, and there's a large inititive underway to redevelop the actual city core itself and attract people to live within the downtown area. Lots of parks, trails, etc being built around the city with somewhat of a reluctant public spotlight due to events like G20 being held and the city always being named "most livable" and all that jazz. It's really not there yet and a work in progress that's about 1/3 completed, but it stands a chance to get there eventually. The city's population is currently at about half of what it's peak was during the 1960s, so there's tons of housing options and it's not too crowded...and yes, it's a very "country" type of city and you'd fit in easily since it is Appalachia afterall. Housing is DIRT CHEAP....as in, possibly cheapest metro in the country dirt cheap. You could technically snag an old 3 story brick row home for $30-$80k, gut it, convert the thing into a modern playhouse, and do it all for less than what a typical home in a more expensive city would cost. It's worth considering and keeping an eye on....only issue is that winters can be very cold and very harsh. It's a university town...Pitt/Duquesne/RMU/CMU/etc, so there's tons of liberal and progressive people out there...only problem is that on the other side of the fence, you have tons of disgruntled holdovers from the steel industry bust that make the city seem like it's 30 years behind the times. That's obviously going to wane though as time goes by and that leftover demographic fades away. I'd toss it out there just for the ridiculously low cost of living. This guy seems to have captured the city pretty well: Recession 09: Pittsburgh - SkyscraperPage Forum

Otherwise, Austin is simply amazing, Portland, Madison, the entire Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area, Santa Fe, Nashville, Asheville, Tempe, Columbus Ohio, and possibly even Sacramento these days could be worth looking into.

Last edited by TelecasterBlues; 01-10-2010 at 10:27 PM..

Old 01-11-2010, 01:33 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,838,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solardream View Post
Durham looks like it could possibly be a winner!! Thanks for the info. As far as crime goes, are there any areas (from your experience) that would be really bad to live in? On realtor.com, there are many houses in my price range in the 27701 and 27703 zip codes...so I'm gonna check those areas out more.
The part of Durham being suggested is going to be one of, if not, the highest crime rates in the area. In the Triangle, you won't be able to satisfy all your requirements. Something's going to have to give. It's too "hot" of a metro to expect extremely low costs, safety, progressives, green and walkable all in the same place. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. Even some of the cheaper areas in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill are going to be considered expensive based on your stated budget. The time to have purchased using your scenerio was back in the 80's BEFORE people started returning closer to the city centers. Durham is certainly cheaper than Raleigh but it's nowhere nearly as cheap as you want it to be.
Carrboro was suggested in an earlier post. It's got everything you want but you can't touch it for the price you want to pay. There are also some terrific parts of DT Raleigh that would fit the bill. But, once again, it's going to be pricey. Chapel Hill? Well, forget about that one...way too expensive for your stated budget.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:51 PM

2,896 posts, read 3,222,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
In the Midwest:

Madison, WI
Iowa City, IA
Duluth, MN (a bit more socially conservative than the above, but just as blue politically)
I agree, but he stated he wanted a warm(er) city. The above are far from warm, or even mild.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:24 PM

570 posts, read 1,815,430 times
[quote=DinsdalePirahna;12376118]I'm not to crazy about the place, but if you like redneck, Saint Louis may be a good place for you.QUOTE]

Come on Dinsdale, that's not a fair assessment for any metro area much less St. Louis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or