U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 02:42 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,295,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
100,000 people and Progressive and Low Crime and RAIL.....Ditto
O.K......Santa Fe New Mexico
Flagstaff Arizona
Victorville Cali or Redland Cali
I've lived in Redlands, CA before. A nice town on the far eastern end of the LA Basin. It has a quaint downtown, and a university. But I don't know if it would be considered liberal or progressive. The university is somewhat associated with the American Baptist denomination, which (believe it or not) is the only progressive sub-denomination of Baptists. And while "cheap" compared to more coastal areas, it's not cheap at all.

What about Santa Maria, CA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 05:17 PM

101 posts, read 93,663 times
Default Western Mass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Ann arbor Michigan and Ashville North Carolina are liberal towns, but they are surrounded by socially conservative countryside. If your really that liberal you should probably look toward the Northeastern States. Massachusetts maybe?? Not cheap out there, but you wont find too many truly liberal places in the midwest or south.
Western Mass. is the most liberal part of the state now and much more affordable than Boston. The area north of Amherst and Northampton is as progressive as you will find in a rural area of the US. Very similar to nearby Vermont. Winters are (usually though not this year) cold and snowy.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:58 PM

9,471 posts, read 12,317,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I've lived in Redlands, CA before. A nice town on the far eastern end of the LA Basin. It has a quaint downtown, and a university. But I don't know if it would be considered liberal or progressive. The university is somewhat associated with the American Baptist denomination, which (believe it or not) is the only progressive sub-denomination of Baptists. And while "cheap" compared to more coastal areas, it's not cheap at all.

What about Santa Maria, CA?
I like Santa Maria CA

Old 06-02-2016, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 853 times
Cleveland is on the very cheap end, but still might tick the majority of your preferences. People give Cleveland a lot of crap, but I love it. I don't live there now, but I'll move back some day. But don't live in the worst parts of Cleveland. Lakewood, West Park, nicer parts of Euclid. Those are likely what you're looking for. There's cheap real estate, lots of recreation, trees, parks, culture. Lake Erie isn't exactly beautiful, but it has its good spots. Good seasons. Very good public transportation. And it's pretty liberal, especially the closer you are to the city. The west side is a little less liberal, and has a lot of Irish Catholics in particular, but is also very safe, has excellent schools, and lots of the yoga, health food, and environmentalism you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or