U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2009, 08:57 PM
 
Location: At the center of the universe!
1,179 posts, read 1,756,124 times
Reputation: 371

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
A lot of New Englanders are arrogant and seem to think their foliage is superior. Yes, New England foliage is nice while it lasts. But the trees in New England are bare by Thanksgiving and don't have leaves again until the beginning of May. What good is the brief period of foliage if the trees will be ugly and bare for almost half the year?
Yeah I see your point. New England being further north they will have bare trees longer. New England brags about their fall foliage because that's one of their claims to fame. Everybody seems to like to have something to brag about. TX brags about being big and having great Tex-Mex food. Californians brag about their great weather. Florida brags about their white beaches. Colorado brags about their skiing and their mountains. I don't have a problem with people staking their claim to fame. Everybody wants their 15 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2009, 09:00 PM
 
Location: At the center of the universe!
1,179 posts, read 1,756,124 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
What do you people think about Spring foliage (blooming of trees in the Spring)? I think it looks even better than fall foliage.
It's hard to say which is better. I like both. Spring foliage is great because everything becomes that nice golf course green and the long, dull, crap winter is over. Fall foliage is also great because I'm real big on bright, vivid colors. The array of reds, oranges and yellows is really nice as well. The only bad thing about the fall foliage though is that means winter is right around the corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2009, 09:12 PM
 
6,046 posts, read 10,048,295 times
Reputation: 2334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
It's hard to say which is better. I like both. Spring foliage is great because everything becomes that nice golf course green and the long, dull, crap winter is over. Fall foliage is also great because I'm real big on bright, vivid colors. The array of reds, oranges and yellows is really nice as well. The only bad thing about the fall foliage though is that means winter is right around the corner.
I know exactly what you mean. Where do you live? When I lived in New England, I hated fall because I knew winter was right around the corner (in other words, it was hard for me to enjoy the foliage when I knew what was coming next after the leaves fell off). I liked Spring because I knew winter was finally over. Now that I live somewhere warmer, winter won't be something to dread. I can enjoy all seasons here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2009, 09:45 PM
 
Location: At the center of the universe!
1,179 posts, read 1,756,124 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I know exactly what you mean. Where do you live? When I lived in New England, I hated fall because I knew winter was right around the corner (in other words, it was hard for me to enjoy the foliage when I knew what was coming next after the leaves fell off). I liked Spring because I knew winter was finally over. Now that I live somewhere warmer, winter won't be something to dread. I can enjoy all seasons here.
I live in Houston. You can't tell that from my location, eh? My location describes all of North America and South America. I change my location every so often because I get tired of it saying the same old thing all the time. Lately I was trying to think of something cool to put as my location and this is what I came up with. It's pretty original. I don't see anybody else with a location like this.

Yeah I hear ya about New England. My brother lived in Burlington, VT for 5, 6, 7 years. He didn't care about the fall foliage. He was like you. He liked it when the spring began and everything became nice and green.

I think the reason why New Englanders like the fall foliage there so much is because it's the beauty before the long crap starts. I have a way with words. Down here in TX most people hate the summers. Most people in New England hate the winters. Pick your poison. A friend of mine moved back to TX last year. Prior to that he lived in Manchester, NH. He got sick of the snow and he said the locals there hate the winter time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2009, 09:45 PM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,961,646 times
Reputation: 6679
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
What do you people think about Spring foliage (blooming of trees in the Spring)? I think it looks even better than fall foliage.
Where I'm at I like the foliage in Spring better. It makes the place look alive. Although I would say I prefer the foliage of a "Good Autumn" to a "Good Spring." I just don't think we get that many "Good Autumns" here.

The best I've seen trees here look is not a foliage issue as such. It's when the trees are bare and covered in ice. They can look like lovely crystal statues when that happens right. Of course they can also have limbs break off and down powerlines when that happens, but still it's pretty outside of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2009, 11:08 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,131 posts, read 9,903,738 times
Reputation: 6423
Default Where is the best place to see good Autumn color outsdie New England?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanAaron View Post
Just wondering, I know New England is famous for their displays but its a big country, there must be other states with good autumn folliage displays?
I have checked out various sites on New England fall foliage over the years and they seem to have different theories about what makes the fall foliage so spectacular. I seen theories that it is the air, the water, the rocky soil, the cooler temperature, the location etc. Perhaps a combination of these?

In any case, it would stand to reason that the nearby areas of the Northeast/Great Lakes area of the USA and even parts of Canada would have similar conditions. It would then continue down the Appalachians into parts of the South. Areas like Nova Scotia, New York, Ohio, Wisconsin, Southern Ontario, Pennsylvania, West Virginia etc.

New York State has a different take on this subject*. Supposedly the sheer variety of different BROADLEAF trees in the Northeast makes a spectacular display. In contrast areas which have alot of Pine trees do not have as much fall color.



* see the Foliage report at fallgetaways.iloveny.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 11:29 AM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,504 posts, read 17,728,729 times
Reputation: 30796
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
New York State has a different take on this subject*. Supposedly the sheer variety of different BROADLEAF trees in the Northeast makes a spectacular display. In contrast areas which have alot of Pine trees do not have as much fall color.
This. This. This.

I must say that as beautiful as the aspens in the Rocky Mountain region (and the Rift mountains of the Rio Grande Valley (Sandias, Manzanos, etc.)), there is simply no comparison to the display in the Northeast and they lose their leaves at roughly the same time as trees in up there. The other trees in this region that change color such as cottonwoods and scrub oak are pretty but not as vivid and spectacular as the Aspen and have the same color range, yellow to gold.

The only place in the Rocky Mountain west that I know of that can even come close to tthe Northeast is the east-facing canyons of the Manzano mountains which has a population of rare maples mixed in with aspen so there is some color diversity. In fact driving towards Tajique on 337 at this time of year can almost make you think you are some 2,000 miles further northeast than you really are.

But there is really no comparison.


ABQConvict
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2009, 12:42 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,268,700 times
Reputation: 2781
The Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
The Blue Ridge Mountains of Maryland/Virginia/North Carolina
The Great Smoky Mountains of Tennessee/North Carolina
The North Georgia Mountains
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 03:44 PM
 
Location: STL
1,124 posts, read 3,225,809 times
Reputation: 575
Here is a pretty good depiction of St. Louis in the Autumn. The photo is actually of downtown Clayton, MO, which is an inner-ring suburb just west of St. Louis.
http://photos.imageevent.com/kcphotos/stlouis/large/stlouis_3375.jpg (broken link)
Above St Louis - SkyscraperPage Forum Just another great photo by KCgridlock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,992 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Reputation: 33059
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
What do you people think about Spring foliage (blooming of trees in the Spring)? I think it looks even better than fall foliage.
My daughter and I got into a discussion about this once. She has grown up in Colorado, likes seeing the end of a long, long winter. I lived my young adulthood in central Illinois, and said, "once you've spent a summer in Champaign, you're happy to see fall come".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top