U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 09:45 PM

2,079 posts, read 5,716,943 times

Advertisements

Well Ohio has 12 million people.. Wright Force Air Force base, one of the largest amounts of marines and ex-military. Lot's of guns and lot's of people with a chip on their shoulder. But it's in the middle of things.

This kind of battle wouldn't be each state for their own though, there would definitely be alliances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 09:48 PM

Oh yea.. and a lot of people are talking about their states having a 'toughness' and stuff.. But wouldn't states with the most soldiers and people who enlist to fight in our wars be the 'toughest'. States with the most vets/people who enlist/highest blue collar/highest population would probably win.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:51 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,170,933 times
I say the southern states would be the last ones to go down, because someone will blow up the anheuser busch plant in Missouri, and then you'll have millions of mullet wearing rednecks marching into each and every state.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:28 PM

4,598 posts, read 3,747,366 times
Alaska. The cold of winter and the only way to attack it (assuming Canada is not part of the war) is by sea are the two greatest assets Alaska has.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Alaska. The cold of winter and the only way to attack it (assuming Canada is not part of the war) is by sea are the two greatest assets Alaska has.
Not many people live in Alaska though.. Would be pretty easy to control parts of it.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:23 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,485,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
That must be why they're going bankrupt as we speak.

California would burst at the seams. You'd have 500 different political factions pulling in 500 different directions.

What would they be eating? Snow?
Rubber factory raises a good point. Certain states would just never unite for a cause, California is one of them. It's made up of too many extremes that hate one another. They'd probably kill one another off with race riots, eventually the gangs would take over. Then they'd all fight over who would be in charge. Same with places like Florida, Illinois, and Maryland/DC/Virginia. Louisiana already showed what they're made of when put to the test, so they'd be one of the first to lose.

I'd have to say Washington, New York, and Texas stand the best chances of surviving and defending their land based on demographics, geography, unity and terrain. New York has proved it is capable of uniting in a SHTF scenario, so I don't think there would be any strife between races and political rivals like you'd see in California. Each state can farm their own agriculture, has access to the ocean for resources, can produce their own energy, and has a fair number of active and retired military installations to use for tactical purposes.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:47 AM

254 posts, read 604,878 times
Still gonna go with CA with Texas making a very strong contender. I don't assume other variables as far as politics and social dynamics. California has the most military personnel at 212,800. We have 3 Army bases, 6 Marine Corp bases, 7 Naval Bases, and 5 Air Force bases. And just to make it interesting, we also have 20 Coast Guard bases as well.

Texas has 194,965 military personnel. Texas has 5 Army bases, 2 navy bases, 8 Air Force bases and 0 Marine Corp bases. Also 8 Coast Guard bases.

I explained in an earlier post about why the geography of CA would play a strategic advantage over other states, as well as our technological superiority over other regions and even the 4 national labs that we have in the Bay Area alone, one which is specifically designed for nuclear weapons.

If there was an all out war, I don't believe that nukes would be used, but instead it would be a conventional war and since CA has both massive amounts of airpower (navy and airforce) as well as the artillery and infantry (Marines), and a battleship and carrier group second to none, I really don't see how we couldn't be a factor. I don't buy into the argument of how "tough" a population is or "we have everyone who deer hunts" theory btw.

Besides, if we didn't have to send the $50 billion dollars every year to the fed govt that CA is short changed, alot of our "problems" would have disappeared. We are one of the few states where we could be self sufficient. Ok, done with my rant

Old 10-27-2009, 10:49 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,745,368 times
The problem with talking about military bases is that they are currently controlled by the Federal Government and made up of people from ALL OVER THE US. Just because San Antonio has 15 military bases does NOT mean all those people would be putting their lives on the line for Texas. In my mind once the Fed dissolved they'd hightail it back to their home states if at all possible.

Also, Coolhand68, you say CA is divided and I agree but some would (and, ahem, are) saying the same thing about America.

Maybe the reason for this thread?

A 50 -way war!

Anyways, interesting topic, for some reason, I'm enjoying the thread.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:10 PM

392 posts, read 1,001,011 times
I think that if this ever happened the prospect of using the military resources contained within your states would be minimal. The OP said that the federal government dissolved and the military is ran by the feds. Even if using military resources was a possibility you have the issue of the military personnel wanting to fight for their home states, so that means a great number of them would leave where they were currently stationed for their homes. If we want to speculate that civilians are going to fly jets and drive tanks i think we can all see where this will end up. I would venture to say that most military resources will be ruined quickly by the general population thinking they know what they are doing. If this was just guerilla or traditional warfare i would give it to california, most population and vast resources. If it was nuclear warfare i would say missouri considering they have the entire domestic fleet of b-2 bombers contained within their borders as well as the presidential safe spot where they send the higher ups if there is ever an issue of safety on united states land. That is assuming they have people to fly the b-2s, going along with what i was saying earlier. I think those two resources would be enough to take out all the major us cities and then hide out underground until most of the other states militias killed each other off.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:43 PM

305 posts, read 666,554 times
California, in a nutshell:

- More people

- Geographical advantage, even if surrounded by 3 states and a foreign country

- Biggest economy out of all 50 states

- Technological and agricultural dependence

I know there's more, but there's your main reasons right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or